• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Walther PPQ

Gatling77

NES Member
I'm new to NES and love the site! I was curious if the PPQ is MA compliant? Is there a way to get one in MA? Thanks for your input.

Nope, sorry its not MA compliant, your best bet go with the Walther p99 AS which is mass compliant., being sold at four seasons. I honestly like the p99 over the ppq for its unique decocker function on a striker fired pistol , ive been meaning to try one out.

Sure you can get PPQ in a face to face transaction. However, I am not sure if they make 10 round magazines for it, though. PPQ does have a very nice trigger right of the bat.
The decocker on P99 is only applicable to the TDA (P99 AS) models. In the QA models the decocker button is made much smaller and only used while disassembling the gun - in lieu of dry firing.
The PPQ being of a "regular" striker fired variety doesn't need a decocker.

Sure you can get PPQ in a face to face transaction. However, I am not sure if they make 10 round magazines for it, though. PPQ does have a very nice trigger right of the bat.
The decocker on P99 is only applicable to the TDA (P99 AS) models. In the QA models the decocker button is made much smaller and only used while disassembling the gun - in lieu of dry firing.
The PPQ being of a "regular" striker fired variety doesn't need a decocker.

P99 magazines will fit the PPQ. So there must be 10 rounders available. I'm not sure if there are pre-ban mags for the P99.

I'd expect S&W (who distributes Walthers in the US) to make the PPQ MA compliant, eventually. They did with the PPS but it took a couple of years after it was introduced. I guess it takes that long to figure out how to make the trigger suck enough to please Martha.

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback. Trouble is no one has the P99 in stock (I'm looking for the full size 9mm AS version - new). Anyone know of any MA shops that have it in stock???

Lol. I just said four seasons has the p99 AS model , take a look at their website.

There are no pre-ban p99 mags because it was made in 1999:) hence the" 99"

So you would be stuck with 10 rd'ers.

I shot PPQ in 9 mm and liked the pistol very much. Excellent quality firearm. Short trigger reset, crisp and light trigger, no slide release rattle like in HK P30. The test target came with 1-inch hole at 15 m. I think the PPQ is simpler and slightly more robust than Walther P99AS, and the trigger is better. One can argue about the striker decocking use in P99AS. Overall, I am impressed.
In MA, one can get a P99QA and make the trigger pull lighter by switching the springs, to approach PPQ. This requires knowledge of what your are doing though. As far as availability of PPQ, it probably can be made available by S&W with a heavier trigger pull.

Last edited:
P99 QA is not available in MA, at least that is what 4 seasons website says when you look at their walther p99 caption.

Next up, GFA arms tec in natick has a p99 listed in inventory but it doesnt say what type , id guess the AS model but your going to have to call

Queen Bee thanks for the heads up on GFA arms tec. The P99 they have listed is a a 1st edition from Germany (no S&W on it, also pre ban with 15 round mag), just a little more than I wanted to spend, asking $995.

Does it have to be a PPQ? The gun looks nice but the bore axis is stupidly high on it, or at least it -looks- that way. If you're a new guy I would advise you to shoot as many different guns as possible (in the caliber you are interested in) before buying something. I'd at least try to find someone that already has the PPQ, but I'd also at least try to shoot a Glock 19, an XD of some sort, and an M&P with a clean trigger (not the gay mass one, but one that someone has repaired). I can almost guarantee that you will probably shoot one of those 3 better than the PPQ anyways. All 3 of them have lower bore axis... not to mention aftermarket support is better for all 3.

Yeah, it's cool to buy something just because you want it. I know because I've been there..... waaaaay too many times. The thing is, informed decisions will save you a lot of money/pain/anguish over the long term.

-Mike

Does it have to be a PPQ? The gun looks nice but the bore axis is stupidly high on it, or at least it -looks- that way. If you're a new guy I would advise you to shoot as many different guns as possible (in the caliber you are interested in) before buying something. I'd at least try to find someone that already has the PPQ, but I'd also at least try to shoot a Glock 19, an XD of some sort, and an M&P with a clean trigger (not the gay mass one, but one that someone has repaired). I can almost guarantee that you will probably shoot one of those 3 better than the PPQ anyways. All 3 of them have lower bore axis... not to mention aftermarket support is better for all 3.

Yeah, it's cool to buy something just because you want it. I know because I've been there..... waaaaay too many times. The thing is, informed decisions will save you a lot of money/pain/anguish over the long term.

-Mike

Thanks Mike,
Whats your opinion on the P99 9mm AS full size and or Compact version compared to the Glock 19, XD and M&P?

Thanks Mike,
Whats your opinion on the P99 9mm AS full size and or Compact version compared to the Glock 19, XD and M&P?

Basically the same as a PPQ except the PPQ probably is either single action or an assisted striker, whereas the P99 is a DA/SA with a striker. I'd still be looking at the alternatives I mentioned first.

That said, the P99 isn't a bad gun... just not my cup of tea.

-Mike

If you are a new guy, just get a Glock 19 3rd Generation and call it a day. For collection purposes, I would avoid the XD. While it gets a premium in this state. Elsewhere, it is known as a "bubba gun".
Best of all, read Duty ammo and handgun selection article and call it a day.
I used to own P99C AS. It was a good pistol, fairly ergonomic and shot well. My recoil spring broke at 3500 rounds and I had to pay $44 to replace it.
Glocks are not the most ergonomic nor sexy guns, but tend to work best right out of the box (some gen 4 excluded), have pre ban magazines available, and a ton of accessories.

I ended up with the P99c and love it, have 600 rounds thru it so far. I picked it up at The Sportsman's Den in Quincy, the owner was great to work with, very patient and offered great advice. I will buy from him again!!!

i had the opportunity to fire a PPQ at the range yesterday. although i love the way it felt in my hand, i couldn't stand the way the slide tapers toward the top. the trigger felt awesome with a smooth pull and very short reset. i wasn't a huge fan of the way the weapon felt while firing but i was only able to put 10 rounds down range. i was only able to put 2 on my 8" circle target at 25 yards but this is irrelevant being that i only fired a very small number of rounds.

I have pre-ban P99 magazines. I bought them for $125 each. They cost that much because they were so rare and because I bought them during the ban (Glock mags were about $80 at the time). The pistol was designed in 1993 and 16 round mags were made for it during this phase.

Last edited:
I checked four seasons and they are on back order with no timeframe for delivery :(!

I ordered one from FS a while back. It took two or three few weeks but it came in. Worth the wait. Decent price. Factory magazines available from S&W are pricey 10 rounders.

For what it's worth, I have a p99cQA I bought in MA, in 2010, with about 400 rounds down the barrel. Got it at Richie's in Westport. It has been a great shooter for me at the range and compact enough for CCW on SOB & OWB.

P99 QA is not available in MA, at least that is what 4 seasons website says when you look at their walther p99 caption.

But the QA model is on the roster. Has been on the last two revisions (4/2102, 7/2012). Not sure if it's on the AG list or not though.

I sure hope that when Walther and S&W finish their breakup, and Walther gets settled again, that their pistols become more easily available.

But the QA model is on the roster. Has been on the last two revisions (4/2102, 7/2012). Not sure if it's on the AG list or not though.

I sure hope that when Walther and S&W finish their breakup, and Walther gets settled again, that their pistols become more easily available.

The QA is not CMR940 compliant. So it being on the roster doesn't mean much. The QA is a POS anyways.... you hit that little button by accident and the gun will no longer fire until the slide is cycled. That's just absurdly dangerous, IMHO, on a self defense gun.

The QA is not CMR940 compliant. So it being on the roster doesn't mean much. The QA is a POS anyways.... you hit that little button by accident and the gun will no longer fire until the slide is cycled. That's just absurdly dangerous, IMHO, on a self defense gun.

Now that's interesting - I did not know that the QA would not fire after decocking. You'd think the AG would be all for a gun that can't shoot.

But the P99 AS has a similar little button as the QA - except that the AS button is bigger - and the AS definitely drops into DA mode after decocking.

Seems like the PPQ and P99 QA triggers are designed to either carry empty chamber, or carry loaded and cocked. You will find people in both camps.

This faq has some video showing the difference in trigger function. Does not offer anything in the way of why you would choose one system over another though.
http://www.waltherforums.com/forum/faq-p99/16523-trgger-variation-qa-99q-ppq.html

Back
Top Bottom