Walther PK380 Review and Range Report

I bought the new PK380 this week from North Shore Firearms for $350. Yeah, you read that right. More on that in a bit. It just became "blessed" in the PRM last week. See obligatory pics attached.

So, lets get a few things out in the open right now. This firearm is NOT meant to be a smaller P99. It was designed to be a larger P22. The P22 being a value tacti-cool .22 pistol. The P22 doesn't fit well in adult hands, but it is fun to shoot. The PK380 on the other hand, fits excellent in adult hands. It is lighter than the PPK and about the same size, but will not fit PPK holsters because of the trigger guard. It is DA/SA.

It is a great carry gun in .380 if you plan on using it as your primary. It is not the typical small AMT backup type .380. It is a summer pocket carry piece.

A few things you MUST know about this gun. It has no slide release. It has no decocker lever. It has no magazine disconnect like the brain dead P22. Yay! That said, you can decock it. You turn the safety on, then pull the trigger to drop the hammer. Yeah, you read that right. You put the safety on, and you pull the trigger to drop the hammer. I am sure the safety is perfectly adequate so long as you triple check that the safety is on, but the violation of safety protocol is stunning. I already have heard of one ND as a result of not respecting this system (no kittens were harmed in the making of that ND). YMMV. But the AG says it's safe! [wink]

Field stripping it requires a take down tool. It is the same tool that engages/disengages those infernal safeties. But it is the hole on the opposite side of the tool safety that you stick the tool. You also can't remove the tool while the slide is off.

For the price, this is a rocking little modern .380.

Range report to follow tomorrow. I just need to find some unobtanium to make some .380 out of... [shocked][crying]

I will edit as I discover more.

Attachments

• IMG_0305..jpg
    IMG_0305..jpg
    175.2 KB · Views: 234
  • IMG_0306..jpg
    IMG_0306..jpg
    169.1 KB · Views: 174
Congrats on the new purchase, after seeing one today at the Fitchburg show I might get one down the road. I have a P99 and a P22 they are both fun to shoot and it would be nice to have one in the middle.

We just got three into the shop last Thursday, same price and I can agree with everything Terraformer has said except for not having shot it [grin]

ETA: Only 1 left as of right now.

Last edited:
Nice review, terraformer. Looks like an interesting gun at a good price. Do you have any idea how this would this compare in size to a Walther PPK/S?

The PPK and the PPKS are roughly the same size. As I said above, lighter but roughly the same size. This seems like a modern version of the PPK

I picked up a Pk380 at North Shore Firearms on Thursday. I'll have to agree with Terraforma. I did get a chance to shoot it, and it is very accurate at approximately 25'. There was a hole approximately two inches in diameter after two magazines with 2 flyers, after I put three magazines through it. Its very smooth, and there is very little recoil. I was hesitant to pick one up because my P22 still has a grainy trigger after 7000 rounds, but figured what the hell. The only problem with the gun is re-assembly. The recoil spring is a pain in the a$$ to seat when putting it back on the barrel/slide assembly. All in all, its a great gun for a great price.

The added bonus was the case. It includes a spot to put a P22.

Just got one today at FS.

It fits my hand like a glove. Exactly the carry size for me except I can only carry in 47 other states, not here. Damn restrictions!!!!

Lots of .380 at State Line. PMC bronze

Will shoot this Sunday afternoon and see how it does. My hope is that it shoots as naturally as the the p22.

I really like Walthers, and I own a P22, two P99s and a PPS. As much as I really don't want to invest in another caliber, that does look liker it would carry nicely during the summer in a pocket holster. Dropping the hammer with the safety on sounds like a ND just waiting to happen though. Then I looked into the weight...the PPS weighs 19.4 oz without the mag, and the PK380 weighs 19.4 oz with the mag. So the only weight difference is the weight of the mag and the weight difference between 9mm and .380 cartridges. I carry my PPS with the 6-round mag (and a spare in my weak-side pocket) so it sounds like my 9 mm PPS would actually be lighter to carry than the PK380. And I really don't like the way the safety hangs off the side of the PK380.

Any pics out there comparing its size to a PPS?

Interesting handgun, and I'd like to get my hands on one and shoot it, but I don't really see an advantage over my PPS.

I really like Walthers, and I own a P22, two P99s and a PPS. As much as I really don't want to invest in another caliber, that does look liker it would carry nicely during the summer in a pocket holster. Dropping the hammer with the safety on sounds like a ND just waiting to happen though. Then I looked into the weight...the PPS weighs 19.4 oz without the mag, and the PK380 weighs 19.4 oz with the mag. So the only weight difference is the weight of the mag and the weight difference between 9mm and .380 cartridges. I carry my PPS with the 6-round mag (and a spare in my weak-side pocket) so it sounds like my 9 mm PPS would actually be lighter to carry than the PK380. And I really don't like the way the safety hangs off the side of the PK380.

Any pics out there comparing its size to a PPS?

Interesting handgun, and I'd like to get my hands on one and shoot it, but I don't really see an advantage over my PPS.

The PPS is definately slimmer.

I agree with the safety. Wondering if there is bushing that could replace the side you don't use.Just a screw holding that lever on the side. That would clean it up a little.

Also on the rear under the hammer is the end of a spring for the hammer that is sharp and sticks out maybe 1/32", can see this being an issue possibly if carried in a pocket/jacket.

i would like to thank t-dog for the peer pressure. i picked one up as well.

everything said here is G2G.

my only gripe: it only comes with ONE magazine.

i have not shot mine yet, barely fondled....

i would like to thank t-dog for the peer pressure. i picked one up as well.

everything said here is G2G.

i have not shot mine yet, barely fondled....

I didn't even twist your arm. You caved. [grin]

So I went to the range with it. Shot 100 rnds of PMC Bronze through it. Has a few failure to battery, but I blame the ammo on that.

100rnds and all within a 3"-5" circle at 21 feet. Shoots like an extension of your arm.

Field stripped it afterwards and man it needed cleaning. The assembly lube collected what looked like sawdust from the PMC ammo. But all clean now.

I recommend a full cleaning before firing after you buy one. They really soaked this with lube.

Recoil was nothing. Same as the p22.

Very happy with it.

So I went to the range with it. Shot 100 rnds of PMC Bronze through it. Has a few failure to battery, but I blame the ammo on that.

100rnds and all within a 3"-5" circle at 21 feet. Shoots like an extension of your arm.

Field stripped it afterwards and man it needed cleaning. The assembly lube collected what looked like sawdust from the PMC ammo. But all clean now.

I recommend a full cleaning before firing after you buy one. They really soaked this with lube.

Very happy with it.

that P22 is high-speed! [laugh]

Well, so I shot about 250 rds through it today (expensive day...) and it really shot nice with no problems at all. Low recoil with both privi 1000 fps and some 800 fps from qmmo. Shoots nicer than the p22 and it really fits an adult's hand well.

I rate it. 4 [mg][mg][mg][mg] out of 5 [mg][mg][mg][mg][mg]

Very happy with it.

That would be sulfur and yes, the lube they ship it with is definitely a dirt magnet.

Does the safety stay in the off position? EG, does it have a pretty positive detent? The P22s safety is kinda wonky in that regard...

-Mike

Does the safety stay in the off position? EG, does it have a pretty positive detent? The P22s safety is kinda wonky in that regard...

-Mike

I find my safety to be very tight. You can make it tighter as the levers are srewed on.

-Mike

It's in between a beretta and the P22. The important part being once it's on, it stays on. You don't get that positive snap of the beretta detent when putting it on, but there is one when you take it off. So that is why I call it in between.

Frankly, you wouldn't carry this with a safety on anyhow. I would simply DA/SA with a decent holster and you are all set. Or with the safety in a pocket.

I too picked up a PK380 last night but sadly the single magazine isn't my only gripe. My main gripe is the take-down. I would like to know at what point the designers thought that having to use a weird looking take-down tool to remove the slide was a good idea. This is a complete pain in the a$$ especially when something goes wrong with the gun and one doesn't have the tool on hand. Should I start carrying the gun, which I will once I procure more mags, I will also need to carry the tool with me just in case. Why couldn't they have the take-down lever spring loaded like the P99? What was wrong with that design?

I still like this gun a lot. I haven't shot it yet but I a certain that it will be a winner in my book. I am sure that with time I will get over the take-down fiasco.

I was VERY tempted to buy this gun last week when I bought my M&P40C. Some places were selling this as a package with a P22 which I wanted to get for my wife to shoot. I was worried about the safety levers and area around the hammer would catch on clothing when trying to carry this concealed. I may end up picking up the package anyways later this summer, glad to hear that it's getting good reviews.

Back
Top Bottom