Wal-Mart Survival Food

Reptile

NES Member
When I compared the price of canned food with the price of MRE's, I decided to go canned.

I have recently gone to walmart to buy some canned survival food.

$1 20 cans mini ravioli
8 cans pineapple chunks
8 cans peaches slices
8 cans chicken/corn soup

12 x 3 liter Poland Spring waters

This will last me a week after I run out of my regular food.

I want to buy lots more. I don't want those #10 cans they sell on the net because they are too big. That's why I'm just buying from Walmart.

Mountain House charges too much and I heard they are running low.

I've been reading a lot on http://www.survivalblog.com/index.html

Am I off to a good start here?

Reptile

I'd say yes.

Everybody's got to start somewhere, the important thing is you've begun. BTW Wm also has what are called "shelf stabalised" meals Hormel makes them and I've kept a supply of them for years now They look like TV dinners just not frozen. I rotate them by having a them for lunch a couple times every month.

You're putting ammo aside too aren't you ? [wink]

Just remember that canned goods and water need to be rotated out regularly as they do have a finite shelf life where things like Mountain House although more expensive can be safely stored for 20 years or more without the need for rotation.

I do both, I have some "Staple" items that I buy as cans and rotate through. I also have a hefty supply of Mountain House that just sits in the corner and waits until it is needed.

Congrats on starting!

Pop Tarts. Seriously. They are sealed in foil, high in sugar, starch, and all that. And you can eat them hot or cold. I've been told that down south Walmart brings in extra supplies of them if there is a hurricane in the forecast.

Which brings me to a second point. Again, not kidding. If I were the President, I'd dump FEMA and put Walmart in charge of disaster planning. I have no doubt they'd figure out a way to get supplies, ice, and bottled water into disaster areas within 24 hours of an event.

Gary

I'd say yes.

Everybody's got to start somewhere, the important thing is you've begun. BTW Wm also has what are called "shelf stabalised" meals Hormel makes them and I've kept a supply of them for years now They look like TV dinners just not frozen. I rotate them by having a them for lunch a couple times every month.

You're putting ammo aside too aren't you ? [wink]

I even sent some of those meals to Alan when he was in Iraq.[laugh]
Yes you are off to a good start. Even if every week you buy say 10-20 dollars extra of what you eat it adds up.
We shop at Price Rite for our groceries which cuts our food bill in half, and I am able to stock up on alot of different things, pasta's, canned foods that we use all the time, etc.
Just make sure you rotate through them. As I use something form my stores I replace it with a couple more.
We also canned alot last year, and plan on expanding the garden this year and canning alot more.

It's a good start.

A good way to build a couple of months supply is look at what you regularly eat, see what the expiration date, and work out how many you can store and eat without going over the expiration date, then gradually buy extra till you have a good supply. Example: you eat one can of peach slices a week, expiration date is a year away, therefore you can store up to 52 cans.

When rotating food make sure you replace what you eat.

Another good buy at Walmart is the large canned Dak hams, will keep for years unfrigerated, tastes edible (a lot better than spam) straight out of the can and can easily be cooked up into a very filling meal.

Stocking up also helps you save money: if you keep a good supply of basic foodstuffs then you don't run out of stuff and can wait for items to go on sale before buying them.

As important as it is to rotate your canned stocks, there's little evidence that in a pinch you can't consume canned goods past their prime. Still, it's a good practice to get into. As much as you're resistant to Mountain House prices, I'd still pick one up here and there and also set aside money for at least a case of MRE's. You never know when you may have to abandon ship and hauling cans in a BOB is a losing proposition. It's also helpful to keep a few MRE's in your car - especially if you have a "Get Home Bag". One of the canned goods I keep on hand is B&M Brown Bread - love the stuff.

"Every journey in life begins with the first step."

Be sure to rotate out your canned pineapple. The stuff is acidic and will not last for any extreme length of time before it gets contaminated from within by the can.

I buy the Wally World brand pineapple also and to my taste, it's better than Dole.

A mix of canned and dry goods is recommended.

Dry milk, rice, oates, assorted types of beans, pasta, flour, corn meal, sugar, Kosher salt, vinegar spices, soup mixes, Koolade, gatorade, lemonade.

Canned meats, fish, chicken, crisco, vegetables, soups/stews.

Honey......it never goes bad and it's likely going to be very expensive and in short supply with the colony collapse disorder going on with honey bees.

Garden seeds.

Honey......it never goes bad and it's likely going to be very expensive and in short supply with the colony collapse disorder going on with honey bees.

Yup - excellent advice! Honey is awesome. I live on the stuff and have 20-pounds in storage. Try to buy local "unfooledaroundwith"
honey. it's sometimes more expensive, but in my case I bought in bulk from a local honey guru and have all 20-pounds in a bucket, (still jared individually). Even rock solid crystalized honey is not bad at all and can be reconstituted with hot water. Honey has many uses and is good for you, so stock up.....

what is all this for?

What is this for ? Just to be prepared, that's what.
Could be a natural disaster like a hurricaine, earthquake, flood or blizzard.
Could be a extended period of sudden unemployment.
Could be a significant terrorist attack.
Could be TEOTWAWKI.
Could be ... Zombies ! [shocked]

Give the survival forum a read.

Buy a few MRE's

what is all this for?

Because the difference between being paranoid and prepared can mean saving your life and that of your family in a time of disaster. What happens when your "few MRE's" dry up? A significant event in NYC for example, (hurricane, earthquake, major terrorist attack) could send millions of people into New England....

I went in, in 82 and they were still giving us c-rats then and I got mine then. We also were welcomed with the first generation of MRE's in Berlin.....[puke2] Alan tries to convince me the ones they have now are way better. Still can't bring myself to try one. Yes if I was desperate I'd eat one, but not until then.[laugh]

Pop Tarts. Seriously. They are sealed in foil, high in sugar, starch, and all that. And you can eat them hot or cold. I've been told that down south Walmart brings in extra supplies of them if there is a hurricane in the forecast.

Which brings me to a second point. Again, not kidding. If I were the President, I'd dump FEMA and put Walmart in charge of disaster planning. I have no doubt they'd figure out a way to get supplies, ice, and bottled water into disaster areas within 24 hours of an event.

Gary

Wally Word has distribution down to a science! Having them as the supplier for FEMA would be the best thing that could happen for the USA... But you know it would also bring every enemy that they have out yelling "not fair".. blah blah blah.. But you know.. If I was President.. I would save lives first.. answer questions second.. and the best for that IMHO would be to work with Wal*Mart and have a plan ready... JMO

Back
Top Bottom