Wal-Mart for Ammo

I go to two different Walmarts. One in Chelmsford and one in Tewksbury. They both are pretty well stocked on ammo at all times. Last year the one in Tewksbury had a good selection of rifles and shotguns. Right after hunting season they came down. I haven't seen them up this year yet, but they still have ammo. the one in Chelmsford is pretty "Ghetto" It sometimes takes 20 minutes to get anyone to the counter, and you will be VERY lucky if they speak English AT ALL!
I once went in there, and at the front register (express lane) the person at checkout couldn't even understand me enough to answer a question. She finally said "No English" I went to another register checked out, and asked to speak to a manager...

I ONLY go in that one if I am right there and it is something easy...

Adam

"No English"??????
I can't type what I would have said. And I would have left the items at her register and walked out.
Did you get any satifaction from the manager?

JonJ said:
"No English"??????
I can't type what I would have said. And I would have left the items at her register and walked out.
Did you get any satifaction from the manager?

Ditto. DON'T get me started on people who can't speak English and wait on customers!!! grrrrrrrrrrr

grr.gif

The only thing worse than that is when the non-English speaking sales associate has an attitude that you owe it to THEM to speak their language.
When you say "Speak English please or find some one who does." usually in a stern voice that'll draw some attention.

A Trip to Walmart.

So, I went to the Raynham Walmart to buy some ammunition tonight. There was no one at the counter when I got there so I looked around a bit. There was actually a nice selection of long guns, prices seemed pretty reasonable.

After about five minutes, a young man came over and asked if he could help me. I told him I was interested in Winchester White box ammo on 9mm, .38, and .40 S&W.

The very first thing he did was ask to see my LTC. He looked it over pretty thoroughly before he put anything on the counter. Points to him. He read off the boxes, and when he got to the 9mm "Lugger" ammo, I kind of figured that he wasn't the regular sporting goods guy. Gee, I should be a detective. No, he was the Hardware, Sporting Goods, Toys, Auto, and whatever else needed govering guy. In his words, "This place is too cheap to hire enough help, so I have everything from here to the other end of the store. He did offer to put a box of each offering on the counter for me to read. The .38 was all personal protection, which wasn't what I wanted. The 9mm was Target/Range and $5.97 a box. I took three of those. The .40 was 100 box of Target/Range and was about $15.00 a box, which seemed reasonable if not cheap. I took one of those. Another guy came up to buy a fishing license and another wanted some shotgun shells. The kid filled out the paperwork for the license and pulled the shotgun shells out for the other guy. He did check that guys LTC or FID card, first.

After all this, he told us he had to bring us to the Electronics Counter because he wasn't permitted to operate the Sporting Goods registers. So, we all followed him down and paid for our stuff.

Oh, my friend wanted a box of .22LR, but the kid looked and said that they didn't have any. He really didn't know what it was, so it might have been there, but he couldn't find it.

Low prices yes, but no service. I probably should go back during daytime and see if the regular guy is any better.

When is the Bass Pro store supposed to open? <G>

Gary

yeah, that's why I don't like WalMart. They're understaffed, and have lots of departments where you NEED an assosiate to help you. Like thier DVDs that are all in a locked case.

Unlike you, I rarely FIND anybody to help me....granted I don't feel like looking to hard either.

-Weer'd Beard

Since XM193 can't be found locally anymore,I have been cleaning WalMarts out of .223 WWB value packs.So far I have cleaned out 2 stores..Hudson NH and Hookset NH.The ones locally, Hudson MA and Westboro don't have the stuff.$7.53 for 40 rounds is a great deal IMO.I ask if they have case lots,but both places said no.Whether or not they are just lazy and didn't want to go into the "back room" or not,I have no idea.

I actually drove down to 4 Seasons yesterday in the hopes they would have XM193,because they advertise it on thier damn website.Waste of time, gas ,and money.All they had was Federal AE .223,which was the same price as XM193 !!

Does anyone know where I can get XM193 locally ? Even The Goon Room in Shrewsbury was out of it.

Greg said:
I'm too damn lazy,and scared to reload.

Lazy I can't help you with, but scared? Just take everything slow, double-check the powder charges and follow the directions in a good reloading manual.

Greg said:
I really don't have the times to reload the amount of rounds I go through in a weekend.Maybe if I did competition shooting,I would look into making my own.

I will most likely shoot approx 200 rounds today.

I manage to find time to reload my own ammo, and Ross (dwarven1) can probably attest to some of the amounts I shoot.

Hell, if I didn't reload, I'd have to shoot less, since I can make quality 308/223 cheaper than I can buy it. And pistol ammo? Yeah, definitely cheaper.

Adam_MA said:
he one in Chelmsford is pretty "Ghetto" It sometimes takes 20 minutes to get anyone to the counter, and you will be VERY lucky if they speak English AT ALL!

Roger that! I usually drive right past the Chelmsford on in favor of the Hudson, NH store. The extra gallon or so of gas every trip is well worth what I save in aggravation (not to mention taxes [wink] ). It's not just the help; it's management. My first clue was the fact that they have a couple of "express" check-out lanes, "20 items or less". Now since essentially everybody shopping there gets fewer them 20 items, there are no express lanes. Put on additional checkers when the lines back up into the merchandise isles? Naw. It's also one of the ver few WalMarts I can recall that's almost always dirty.

Ken

Greg said:
I'm too damn lazy,and scared to reload..LOL

Where is the WallyWorld in Tewksbury ? I couldn't find it through the wallywebsite.

It's on RT 38 (Main Street)

Not sure where you are coming from, but if you take RT3 North, and take the RT495 North exit. It's 2 exits up, says RT38. You come off the exit facing a Home Depot. Left at the lights, through one light, at the top of the hill take a Right into the parking lot at the lights.

I was there the other day picking up some .40 and .45 I did notice that they had at least a few of the WWB value packs .223

Adam

Adam_MA said:
Greg said:
I'm too damn lazy,and scared to reload..LOL

Where is the WallyWorld in Tewksbury ? I couldn't find it through the wallywebsite.

It's on RT 38 (Main Street)

Not sure where you are coming from, but if you take RT3 North, and take the RT495 North exit. It's 2 exits up, says RT38. You come off the exit facing a Home Depot. Left at the lights, through one light, at the top of the hill take a Right into the parking lot at the lights.

I was there the other day picking up some .40 and .45 I did notice that they had at least a few of the WWB value packs .223

Adam

Cool! Need to go clean them out.

I live and MA and have the opportunties to frequent Walmart in NH and ME. Often times they have CCI Blazer Brass at great prices. With regard to service the ones in MA seem to be a PITA... The folks in ME Walmarts have been awesome... they don't even ask for a license, permit or anything- it almost feels like I've done something bad. [roll]

My wife and I buy all of our ammo for calibers that I don't reload at Wal-Marts in tax- free NH. The 100rd WWB in .45 is a good deal for someone who needs brass like I do. It's kind of dirty but it always goes "Bang".

Kind of dirty???

Don't know what kind of experiences you are having, but I reload .45 and I shot a couple hundred rounds of WWB 45APC and I was AMAZED at some of the brass I picked up after.

I was prepping cases the other night and I was coming across case after case that the primer pocket looked so clean I would swear it was brand new.

What's everyone Else's' experience with WWB?

Adam

I converted to primarily using WWB after running Wolf and CCI Blazer for a while. I still won't really hesitate to run the later two through my Glock but I would rather not with everything else.

WWB is the cleanest ammo of those three, no complaints here.

I have heard rumors of WWB coming in .223 but have never seen any on store shelves, if I did I'd use it for my rifles too.

Adam_MA said:
Kind of dirty???
Maybe I should've used the term dirty in a different manner. Alot of unburned powder inside my gun when I clean it after using WWB. I never check the primer pockets until after it's been in my tumbler. Although I haven't reloaded .45 yet I can tell you some of the .40 WWB brass is very hard to de-prime. I throw alot of it in the recycle bin just for that reason. The primer pockets in WWB that is NOT made in the USA is different from the made in USA stuff. S&B makes the Non-USA WWB.

I would like to point out that as of ~10 days ago, Four Seasons price on WWB 100 rds .45 230gr FMJ was within 2 cents of Wal-Mart's price on the exact same product!! :)

I'd rather support our local stores when possible and certainly when it costs me either the same, less or just a few cents more than the big box stores!

Well, I'd like to support local gun shops, too, but Woburn is way too far to drive just for an ammo run. M&M is a lot closer, but a lot pricier - so we stick to Walmart in NH, as we're there every other weekend.

Strange. I clean my guns immediately after every trip to the range. Cleaning is just a calculated item associated with going to the range. That being said, I still don't find WWB ammo high up on the dirty scale at all.

I have heard rumors of WWB coming in .223 but have never seen any on store shelves, if I did I'd use it for my rifles too.

The Walmart I go to always has WWB value packs of .223 in the case.

Adam

I also see .223 WWB in Wally World most all the time I'm in there. But it doesn't compare in price to what I had purchased from FS a few years ago . . . and I still have more than plenty .223 ammo left. Been shooting handguns for last 2-3 years and very rarely shoot the ARs.

Back
Top Bottom