Wal-Mart Ammo Purchase

I went to Wal-Mart tonight to grab a couple items and strolled through the Ammo section. So I was in a hurry and gave a quick scan and located Winchester 40 cal target loads for $18. A little high, but in stock so I grabbed a box.

The usual sporting goods employee that I see all the time was there. I asked if I could purchase some ammo. He asked the obligatory "FID Card please" and I produce my LTC.

He opens the case, hands me the ammo and cashes me out. No sooner does he cash me out and he asks, "Target loads huh? You didn't want to buy the cheap rounds for $12/box?" WELL GEEZ THANKS FOR TELLING ME NOW!!!

I asked him to show me where they were and sure enough, same grains, jacket etc. I asked if I could swap them and he says, "Sorry absolutely no returns on ammo!!!" WELL THANKS FOR NOTHING!!

He then shows me the 250 count boxes of 9 40 and 45 that are on the bottom shelf in the corner.....40's were 250 rounds for $70. 9mm $50 for 250.

Didn't catch the price on 45's.

I learned my lesson....scan the whole area before selecting and if there's an associate that is a regular, ask them for their "secret stash!!!"

First time in 4 months I've seen inventory AND even a selection, so that good.

Remmington 223 55 grain were on the shelf too.

Blaming the associate because you didn't look hard enough is pretty sad.

I don't think that was the intent of the OP. But rather, the curtesy of being told about the less expensive ammo would have been a good customer service issue, and the OP's experience would make me look askanse at a store that allowed me to pay more for a product just because I hadn't notice it myself. The issue of doing it after the sale was just either mean spirited, stupid, or thoughtless. I'll not choose as I wasn't there.

I disagree. The clerk 1) probably doesn't know that much about ammo and 2) probably figures that the customer knows exactly what he wants. I wouldn't want to go to a gun store to pick up some Federal HSTs or Hornady TAP, and then have an overhelpful employee urge me to buy Brown Bear instead.

Bottom line, you looked through the case, saw something you wanted, and didn't notice the huge yellow 250 round boxes. No one to blame but yourself. The employee doesn't have to worry, because someone will probably buy that within a day or two.

I applaud your right to dissagree Vellnueve and ochmude, but I don't think either of you are right on this one. I'm old enought that I still expect good customer service, regarless of the store, and I know, with my vission, if I didn't have my cheeters with me, I would find checking the prices on anything out of reach to be very difficult. But as always, I vigorously support your right to your oppinions.

it doesn't count as a return if the item hasn't left the store. I've been in the exact same situation and they exchanged it for me, once a manager was called.

Bought last three boxes tonight

Walmart Bristol CT I scored the last 3 boxes of 9mm 100 rounds they had, more is do in per sales clerk

When I hand the clerk my credit card to purchase it, ultimately the responsiblity does lie with me....my mistake...

The store was Pittsfield and the clerk actually was pretty knowledgeable (I think he shoots as well) and actually advised on increasing availability. That's the difficult part, and probably where I went wrong...I am so used to walking through and seeing bare shelves that when I actually saw a box or two of different items, I snatched up what I needed, without spending enough time to thoroughly search the shelves...

I was in a hurry to get home and get just a few more projects done before midnight!!

thanks for posting this , I went to WW this afternoon and they only had the 50 packs out, I asked if they had any bulks and voila, he pulled them out from under the counter.Thanks.

I applaud your right to dissagree Vellnueve and ochmude, but I don't think either of you are right on this one. I'm old enought that I still expect good customer service, regarless of the store, and I know, with my vission, if I didn't have my cheeters with me, I would find checking the prices on anything out of reach to be very difficult. But as always, I vigorously support your right to your oppinions.

+1 Well said.

SteelShooter...glad it worked for you....next time try the super-secret-handshake and you can get the 10% discount too!!

AMAZING - the extra ammo was out of sight forcing people to ask the question!

Your guy was a turd.
I had the EXACT same thing happen to me.

First, I undetrstand why they don't take returns. The liability issue is clear. But you never left this guys sight, much less the store.

My situation was exactly the same.

In my case, the guy called the mgr and because the register had not been closed out for the night, they just voided out the transaction and re-rang it.

The mgr explained to me that to void the transaction, you must go back to the register you purchased from on the same day as the purchase.

Just an fyi.

btw - I got similar deals.

100 round box of 9mm WWB for $19.95
100 round box of .45 WWB for $29.95

Back
Top Bottom