• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Visuals of Concealment Methods

If you take GOAL's Art of Concealed Carry, you'll get to try a bunch of holsters without having to create your own "Drawer of attempts".

SOB has its issues, but it is a viable method. Just very very hard to practice from and as was mentioned is usually uncomfortable in certain situations. There is also the spinal injury issue if you happen to fall squarely on it.

Since everyone is built differently, it's very hard to adopt another person's method. Then again, another's method might be initially horrible, but moved another half inch could be perfect. Only way to really know is to try.

We aught to have a "Holster Party" where everyone brings their drawer of holsters and we can try a variety. Who knows we might find a new owner of a holster we'll never use again.

Damn good idea! I'm would also be willing to offer up my mantown for this. Either way, I think it would be a great sharing of info (and holsters!) [smile]

it's not an issue of being able to draw fast for me, it's more on how to best conceal the pistol. i'm a smaller guy (well waist at least) so anywhere else wearing a t-shirt will print. in the small of my back i can actually conceal without anyone knowing.

The problems with SOB carry however, are numerous...

-printing is terrible when bending over, or kneeling; gun butt doesnt
stay with your torso and then "tents" creating a print

-draw time can be terrible, reholstering is often even worse

-it's extremely difficult to try to protect a gun back there... it's a
lot easier to stop a gun grab strong side or appendix.

-Try to drive more than a few minutes with a gun stuck in
SOB... while this isn't so much a problem in free states where
you can just move the gun to a console or whatever, it's a
dealbreaker in MA. (anything that gets too far away from
that whole "direct control" bit is rough).

-The whole spinal injury thing; that by itself was enough to
turn me off. Not so bad in the summer but in the winter an
ice slip/fall w/bruising could be 10 times worse if a gun was back
there.

As a result I'll pocket carry a .38 or .357 snub before I would resort
to SOB. Almost anyone can pocket carry with the right kind of
pants or shorts (plus pocket holster!) the draw time is incredibly good, and the
conceal-ability is generally excellent; its' no worse than having
a big wallet in your pocket. Pocket carry is also generally
hug-undetecable, as well.

Just my .02, I could be out in left field. Everyone has to use
whatever works for them.

-Mike

I like the sound of that...

Depending on how many people, I might be able to offer up Mantown...

A "holster party" sounds like a great idea. I don't have many to bring but a weekend thing with food and drink would be a great place to get some ideas if nothing else. Seeing as I am "green" (sign up guys!!!) it does not really matter to me if it is public or not.

At first it sounds like an idea, but on second thought a bunch of guys pulling up their shirts for each other sounds kind of
41031.gif
(-: added for humor impaired

Also, the tempt of booze mixed with people possibly carrying, ... = ?

Last edited:
At first it sounds like an idea, but on second thought a bunch of guys pulling up their shirts for each other sounds kind of
41031.gif

Well that wasn't cool, I think your just too cheap to become a member....

But if you can't hold you beer then maybe it is a good idea you don't go.[wink]

I guess I'm cheap, too... too cheap to be a member (soon, though!) and too cheap to buy a new holster. Every gun I carry fits in one of those cheapo Uncle Mike's IWBs! Then again, maybe I'm not cheap... maybe I'm just spending too much money on guns and ammunition!

Seeing as I am still a novice, I certainly do not have the act of "concealed carry" down to an art form yet. My smallest pistol that I use to carry is a SIG P239 in .40, in which I carry in a Bianchi OWB leather holster (w/ strap) on my dominant (right hand) side. Yesterday, I went to an outside range, and had to carry that one on my hip (not enough room in the range bag). My friend was with me and his SIG .22 was just about the same size as my 239, however he is able to conceal pretty well as he is a little bigger in the belly-area.
I am a little over 6'3 and weigh 215lbs and my waist size is 34 inches, so even though I was wearing just a t-shirt over my cargo shorts, the concealed firearm didn't look overly awkward, but there was still a bit of some bulge-action going on (similar to my cell phone when wearing lighter material shirts).
Does anyone on the forum carry a pistol similar to mine and have the appearance of full concealment, if so, what type of holster do you use and where on your waist is the firearm?

I have the same pistol (239 .40) I use a High Noon IWB holster. I bought the "tuckable" model and it works great! I'm 5'11, 205lbs with a 34" waist. With as much as a t shirt tucked in I am totally concealed. In fact unless I get a hug from my wife she can't even tell I am carrying. PM me if you want the specifics on the model etc. Good luck!

The problems with SOB carry however, are numerous...

-printing is terrible when bending over, or kneeling; gun butt doesnt
stay with your torso and then "tents" creating a print

-draw time can be terrible, reholstering is often even worse

-it's extremely difficult to try to protect a gun back there... it's a
lot easier to stop a gun grab strong side or appendix.

-Try to drive more than a few minutes with a gun stuck in
SOB... while this isn't so much a problem in free states where
you can just move the gun to a console or whatever, it's a
dealbreaker in MA. (anything that gets too far away from
that whole "direct control" bit is rough).

-The whole spinal injury thing; that by itself was enough to
turn me off. Not so bad in the summer but in the winter an
ice slip/fall w/bruising could be 10 times worse if a gun was back
there.

As a result I'll pocket carry a .38 or .357 snub before I would resort
to SOB. Almost anyone can pocket carry with the right kind of
pants or shorts (plus pocket holster!) the draw time is incredibly good, and the
conceal-ability is generally excellent; its' no worse than having
a big wallet in your pocket. Pocket carry is also generally
hug-undetecable, as well.

Just my .02, I could be out in left field. Everyone has to use
whatever works for them.

-Mike
Well the firearm I have right now is a G29, and its the one I'd prefer to CC. In the summer I wear medium t-shirts with 31/32 waist pants. anywhere else I can think of would print. but yea you nailed it all the negatives I just can't see another way of concealing unless I go to large shirts. I find even when wearing A&F jeans and muscle shirts with my G29 in a pancake holster its not even noticeable. I need to get a good quality holster but thats another story.

41031.gif
(-: added for humor impaired

Most gunnies I know are secure enough in their masculinity to not worry about it... and they also know not to drink when they're carrying. [rolleyes]

Lets make it a weekend thing. Plus trying out a bunch of different concealment methods with a bunch of people looking to see if they can see it is an unbelievably useful tool. You really do get to see what works for who, and exactly why one type of method doesn't work for everybody at every situation. Burger's and Booze and Babes (for you homophobes out there) sounds great to me.

Thought I'd chime in with my 2 cents.

Depending on the day and how I'm dressed, I have a few different guns that I might carry. These are my 3 carry guns:

1: Glock 31 (full sized), carried just behind my right hip (3:30) in a $30 leather IWB holster I picked up at a gunshop, possibly made by Gould & Goodrich, but I'd have to check. It's leather with a belt clip, and it's molded so I can draw and re-holster with one hand. I carry a spare mag at 9:00 in a Don Hume leather open toped mag pouch. It's comfortable and doesn't slide all over when I move, and I regularly carry in it for 8 hours a day or more.

2: Smith & Wesson 6900 series 9mm. I currently only have a pancake holster for it, so unless it's under a baggy sweatshirt in winter or a heavy coat, for the most part it doesn't leave the house. I carry it with 12 rounds in the gun (not +1, but one chambered) and a 14 round 5900 series spare or a 20 round 5900 series spare, depending on the day and my mood. I'm going to buy an IWB for it when I remember to.

3: Smith & Wesson 642 Airweight .38 special. It's a 5 shot snub, and it's not a ton of gun, but it fulfills rule #1 of gunfighting (bring a gun), and I'm nasty with it out to 30 feet. It has a clipdraw mounted on it, so I can just slip it in the waistband and carry it, no holster, no fuss. It's very light, easy to carry all day, and it's peace of mind, if nothing else. I carry a speedloader or speedstrip in my left front pocket when I carry this particular gun.

The Glock is carried almost all the time, but this summer the 642 has seen a lot more carry time simply because it's light and tiny and hides under next to nothing. Carrying the Glock requires a bit more attention to how I'm dressing, but it becomes second nature. A button down shirt untucked, or a button down shirt unbuttoned with another shirt on underneath, and it hides away very well.

I always carry spare ammo, since no one has yet been able to give me a good reason why not to, but not because I think I'm Rambo. Clearing a mag failure is one good reason, and some coked up freak is another. I carry on a loaded chamber, safety off, all mags one less than full capacity every time.

Different methods and guns work better for different people, but if you can find a retailer with an excellant holster return policy. :)

Last edited:
After 34 years of CCW I have amassed quite a large number of holsters (some of which I don't even have pistols for anymore LOL) So I would be very interested in attending such an event, should it come to be.

I may be interested in seeing what works for others since my post Makarov Holsters (+! S.O.B.) didn't get too much response. I'd just have to find something comparable in size/shape and go with that. Thinking Sig 230/232 or Walther PPK might be close.

Here is what I carry around my house:
11b3slh.jpg

Holster: Comp-Tac CTAC IWB http://www.comp-tac.com/catalog/pro...id=61&osCsid=076963fa1436f84e07d300f3a1f0e4d8
CCW: I carry a Glock 36 in a CTAC holster IWB.
Body: I'm about 175 lbs and 5'8"
Clothing: I am a jeans and t-shirt guy. I can conceal well with a longer t-shirt that hangs a bit low. I don't particularly like those types of t-shirts so I usually wear a button down shift untucked and it'll hide anything.

The CTAC with a long t-shirt. (I usually wear a button down untucked for casual wear)
6p62mo4.jpg

6pt94lc.jpg

This is a longer t-shirt but it's rather slim to my body.
828j9jn.jpg

6o0y98z.jpg

Here's about as bad as it gets when it bunches up over the back of the gun.
I have to be conscious of this but it doesn't happen unless I'm doing something weird like reaching far for something or reaching up high and then the shirt comes down on the back of the gun.
6lcrurd.jpg

Bent over. Whenever I bend over and get up I always pull my shirt back down...just like when I get out of the car.
7xbkxh1.jpg

Last edited:
Are there any women willing to join in the discussion? What does a woman do who doesn't wear belts? Would I have to resort to bag carry? I have thought of in-the-bra carry, but only facetiously; don't think I could get a G27 in there (too uncomfortable and no quick draw).

my wife carries sig 239 IWB sometimes wearing cargo pants and a microfleece pullover. She's 6' tall and 150lbs. Sometimes a Jframe in the pocket.
I asked her if I could take pictures... I almost got slapped.

Jose, what type of holster do you use for that .357? I have the same revolver and would like to carry it but having a hard time finding a good one.

If you take GOAL's Art of Concealed Carry, you'll get to try a bunch of holsters without having to create your own "Drawer of attempts".

SOB has its issues, but it is a viable method. Just very very hard to practice from and as was mentioned is usually uncomfortable in certain situations. There is also the spinal injury issue if you happen to fall squarely on it.

Since everyone is built differently, it's very hard to adopt another person's method. Then again, another's method might be initially horrible, but moved another half inch could be perfect. Only way to really know is to try.

We aught to have a "Holster Party" where everyone brings their drawer of holsters and we can try a variety. Who knows we might find a new owner of a holster we'll never use again.

OK, this idea is now sounding OK to me. Not only could it be a learning event, but maybe people could sell off the holsters they no longer want. Kind of like a holster swap meet. Perhaps this sort of thing could be arranged through GOAL at one of their big events or at the next NES shoot.

Last edited:
I would be up for a holster party. I have a Don Hume IWB that is the wrong side for me, and an ankle holster that I cant feel comfortable with!

Back
Top Bottom