• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Visuals of Concealment Methods

I was wondering how everyone carries their carry piece, but was hoping to see some visuals instead of the IWB, or OWB, etc. I am hoping to carry eventually, and actually seeing will hopefully be more beneficial then reading the descriptions.

Huh?

You mean seeing pics of people carrying OWB and IWB? If it's done correctly, you shouldn't be even be able to see anything. What gets me is that people take pic of themselves carrying with their arms in a very un-natural position. Their arms are either spade out and away from their body or held up with elbows bent. That makes the shirt tent up over the holster. Of course pics will show pretty much no print but no one walks around like that. You really want to see someone with their arms to the sides or in their pockets with the shirt draped over the holster naturally. Looking straight on you might not see anything but you'll need to be careful when bending over or turning around twisting your torso. The telltale buldge will appear if you're not using a heavy jacket or some other outer garment.

You can try it yourself by clipping a cellphone to your belt and with an untucked shirt to cover up. Try doing normal movements while looking in the mirror. You'll find that keeping your torso stiff and turning around with your whole body and bending at the knees not at the waist is about the only way not to print. You can minimize printing if you wear a photovest or a sport coat. As you can see, it's much easier to carry especially a larger gun in the fall and winter.

Personally, I am on the more self conscience side of the spectrum and resort to carrying a J frame with a Barami grip. This method of carry makes the gun sit very low IWB. So low that just maybe an inch or two of the grip protrudes out, eveything else sits below the waistline. I use my love handles to my advantage as the flab 'sits' on top of the grip, covering it completely even when I twist my torso when turning around. The draw is a bit slower but I can maintain a firm grip using a T grip in conjuction with the Barami hip grips. Lots of people frown on the 'Mexican' style of carry but with a 10+ lb trigger pull and a semi bobbed hammer, I feel very safe doing this. YMMV.

YES, pictures would be great. Although your explaination was excellent. I wanted the pictures mainly because a lot of people carry their IWB, OWB in different locations (for example, strong side, opposite side, middle, lower back, etc).

I'll see if I can't get some of my Para in its IWB rig. Would be good to get a look at it from a different perspective anyway to gauge its effectiveness.

Yea, I don't think that he wants to see pics of it concealed. I think he's asking to see both pics of where you carry, and then concealed so he can see how it works.

I think that it's a good idea because I'm not a skinny man, and carrying counseled isn't easy for me... And it's a lot of trial and error to get it so it's not seen. And still, I don't carry much because I just haven't had the training I think is needed to carry concealed.

But it would still be nice to see where and how you carry, then how well that way works.

I'l try not to sound like a broken record but what you read in other threads and other boards hold true. What works for one person may not work for you. We all talk about what works for us but you'll have to try it out for yourself to make that determination. You'll wind up with a box full of holsters that don't make the cut.

Lots of things to consider due to body size and the size of gun and holster arrangement. One very important point is to use a nice thick gun belt if you think OWB and IWB is the way you are going. This will make a more secure fit and the periodical tendency to 'check it' and the fidgity nature goes away once you are confident that it's not going anywhere. I make it a point that if I have the need to check myself, I will go to the mens room and occupy a stall. I then re-do the whole rig, unbutton my pants, retuck my undershirt and re-secure the gun and holster. I don't just try to do the small adjustments on the fly. This mentally sets me in the 'don't touch unless absolutely necessary' mode. I have seen alot of guys do the forearm/elbow check to see if the gun is still there, look around to see if anyone is looking and then proceed to look down and adjust shirt. Another move is the pull up pants from 2-3 different points on belt from getting up and out of the chair and then proceed to pat where the gun is. With a good holster (no thumb strap), you don't have to worry about the gun falling out unless you were running/rolling around on the ground. Even jumping up and down will not dislodge it if you have a good holster that is specific to that model of firearm.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not expert at this. I just find what works for me and from the very beginning, I try to consciously identify what quirkly moves I make during the first few times I CCW. I relate it to public speaking where you can hear the 'errr' and 'ahs' when you listen to other people talk. Once you train yourself to identify it you tend to pick up that in other people who do it. You'll then mentally make a point not to do it yourself or use some other tactic to get around it.

I'm 5'11", 6' if I don't slouch. My weight fluctuates from 185-205 each year. I tend to gain in the winter and lose in the summer. Waist size usually a 34" but I buy a 35" or 36" to accomodate the belly and IWB mode of carry. I guess I'm a medium build.

I have 3 guns that I tend to carry.

1) Glock 23 in C.T.A.C Comptac Kydex holster worn at 3:30/4 o'clock position (winter)

2) J frame M36 "Mexician" style using the Barami worn appendix position @ 2:30 (anytime)

3) S&W M19 snub in either OWB pancake or IWB 4 o'clock. (currently in classifieds)

I've found that I don't do well with the bigger and heavier guns such as #3 and #1. Although I'm reasonably sure no one can tell, I tend to print too much in my eyes. I decided to keep the glock since I can shoot well with it and the ctac keeps it very secure. In the fall/winter where I don't usually take my jacket off, I feel very secure knowing that it's concealed well.

Like everything it takes time, practice and education to perfect it.

I prefer IWB in the small of my back, I'm also a size 30 waist and medium shirt so hip carry IWB or OWB prints too much. I haven't carried in the winter wearing a jacket yet but I prolly won't change since I find my G29 quite comfortable there.

Pj, I understand what you're saying... But the problem is, if you don't even know where to start, then you still will have a drawer full of holsters. How do you start right at the start if one doesn't know where to start?

Many times, asking how several people do something one of two things happens. You find that one of them works. Or, you take a little from several and make it work for you.

If you take GOAL's Art of Concealed Carry, you'll get to try a bunch of holsters without having to create your own "Drawer of attempts".

SOB has its issues, but it is a viable method. Just very very hard to practice from and as was mentioned is usually uncomfortable in certain situations. There is also the spinal injury issue if you happen to fall squarely on it.

Since everyone is built differently, it's very hard to adopt another person's method. Then again, another's method might be initially horrible, but moved another half inch could be perfect. Only way to really know is to try.

We aught to have a "Holster Party" where everyone brings their drawer of holsters and we can try a variety. Who knows we might find a new owner of a holster we'll never use again.

We aught to have a "Holster Party" where everyone brings their drawer of holsters and we can try a variety. Who knows we might find a new owner of a holster we'll never use again.
Oh, I like that. If we have too many people for C-pher's Mantown, I can see about renting the Lodge building in Grafton.

Order in some pizza and have a party while we're at it. [banana]

I think we should be able to scare up enough Blue Guns with this group that we would not have any kind of life firearm for 'testing'. Heck, it could give people an idea of what kind of gun works in concealment too.

Shall we make this an Open event? We've talked about running an NES event that wasn't just members only. I can always get the hall at Riverside which I think can hold up to 125 people and then there will be a cash bar available as well.

Week night or weekend?

Perhaps a good thing for the winter when it's not as comfy to be outside.

ideas?

Shall we make this an Open event? We've talked about running an NES event that wasn't just members only.
Well, we always say that membership has it's privileges, so I'm not sure about opening this up. OTOH... we could do, say, one open event a year to show folks what they're missing out on.

If it's a weeknight, that will probably limit the distance people will drive - when it's on a weekend, people won't be worried about getting back home to get to sleep (some of us COMMUTE, Chris!) so that they're not a zombie at work the next day.

it's not an issue of being able to draw fast for me, it's more on how to best conceal the pistol. i'm a smaller guy (well waist at least) so anywhere else wearing a t-shirt will print. in the small of my back i can actually conceal without anyone knowing.

A "holster party" sounds like a great idea. I don't have many to bring but a weekend thing with food and drink would be a great place to get some ideas if nothing else. Seeing as I am "green" (sign up guys!!!) it does not really matter to me if it is public or not.

Like C-pher I am a large guy but have no problem carrying IWB S&W 910 strong side. Looks like a cell phone bulge if anything.

Don't you find that carrying in the small of the back makes for a difficult draw, and all but requires you to sweep your own body as you do so?

I’ve lost some weight over the past few months and I have found my holster becomes more comfortable the further back it goes. When I was 230 pounds I could carry at 3 o’clock, but now that I am down to 220, I almost carry above my right kidney.

I also would be interested in a “Holster Party” and I have a few that I may be able to bring along with me.

Well, we always say that membership has it's privileges, so I'm not sure about opening this up. OTOH... we could do, say, one open event a year to show folks what they're missing out on.

I think that this is a good "open" event because it's good for several reasons. One, it will work as a gathering and it's a way to see what we do in the Members section. Two, it's good to further the shooting sport...and it will let some non-paid members to learn some things that they might not otherwise know.

And while I think that things like dinners, group buys, and tours are good for the paid members. I think that education things should be open to everyone. If you wanted, you could offer a discount on any holsters to paid members.

I did take the Art of Concealed Carry course, and found it extremely informative. The only thing was that I wasn't wearing everyday clothes that day, so I was having difficulty concealing it. What I did learn which was suprising, was how a big pistol can disappear on a person. That should make you sub-compact carries feel better.

MOB Carry

Cross-X:

I've carried using a MOB by Alessi for years with a full sized 45. For IDPA competition I use a strong side holster. When I practice a draw in the mirror with the MOB (at home with an unloaded gun and no ammo present), after the initial removal of the gun from the hoster, the draw appears to be identical to the strong side draw. The gun is pulled firmly out of the holster, parallel to the back, and as the arm comes forward, the programmed muscles basically flip the gun down and finish as if it was a strong side draw. Time on target is typically about 1 second, similar to the strong side draw.

Besides, the safety doesn't come off until the gun is on its way up already away from the body and the finger doesn't go on the trigger until the gun is on target.

Ever tried to get a gun out of a strong side holster in a car? You can get to it with a MOB. You just lean forward and the gun is accessible. And - comfortable to wear all day long - no jabbing in the love handles and balanced in the center of the back. Automatic lumbar support when you are sitting!

I've tried a lot of hosters worn in a lot of places over the years and when I'm carrying a full-sized pistol, the MOB wins hands down.

Regards,

Bob

Seeing as I am still a novice, I certainly do not have the act of "concealed carry" down to an art form yet. My smallest pistol that I use to carry is a SIG P239 in .40, in which I carry in a Bianchi OWB leather holster (w/ strap) on my dominant (right hand) side. Yesterday, I went to an outside range, and had to carry that one on my hip (not enough room in the range bag). My friend was with me and his SIG .22 was just about the same size as my 239, however he is able to conceal pretty well as he is a little bigger in the belly-area.
I am a little over 6'3 and weigh 215lbs and my waist size is 34 inches, so even though I was wearing just a t-shirt over my cargo shorts, the concealed firearm didn't look overly awkward, but there was still a bit of some bulge-action going on (similar to my cell phone when wearing lighter material shirts).
Does anyone on the forum carry a pistol similar to mine and have the appearance of full concealment, if so, what type of holster do you use and where on your waist is the firearm?

Back
Top Bottom