Virginia woman mauled to death by her dogs

Bethany Lynn Stephens, a 22-year-old Glen Allen woman found dead in the woods off Manakin Road Thursday night, was mauled to death by her dogs, Goochland County Sheriff James Agnew said. "It appeared the attack was a violent attack initiated by the victims' dogs while the victim was out for a walk with the dogs," Sheriff Agnew said the Medical Examiner's initial report indicated. "The victim had defensive wounds on her hands and arms trying to keep the dogs away from her, which would be consistent with being attacked while she was still alive." Agnew said it appeared that the first traumatic injury she suffered was to her throat and face. "It appears she was taken to the ground, lost consciousness, and the dogs then mauled her to death," he said. "It was an absolutely grisly mauling ," Sheriff Agnew said. "In my 40 years of law enforcement I've never seen anything quite like it. I hope I never see anything like it again."
Glen Allen woman mauled to death by her dogs while out for a walk

Just your harmless, pitbull mauling, they were nice dogs, good dogs, just turning their life around.
I love pit bulls. If this is true, she did not have control of her dogs. Better her than someone else. Not everyone has what it takes to properly be the alpha and socialize their dogs. For those people, there are other animals available that they should choose instead.

Breed of crap .
She chose poorly.
Reminds me of the Lynn dipshit I used to work with that told me a hundred times, but they're a "Cool" dog before it disfigured his 5 year old.

Any real dog can bite or maul somone, people with tiny dogs rarely train them so they have vicious little mosters with a "small man complex".

Pitbulls and alot of the fake news(in many cases its not a pitbull)
Are just like the media and "assult weapons".
Not every dog (or human)from an entire breed(or race) can be bad.

Its just the prevelence of retards owning this particular breed and poor people not being able to afford the animals they have..

I know that sounds heartless but poor people should not have pets or kids until they can afford them...and often times your better off with a pet then children even if you can afford children.

The last thing this world needs is more unwanted pets( or people)

Any real dog can bite or maul somone, people with tiny dogs rarely train them so they have vicious little mosters with a "small man complex".

Pitbulls and alot of the fake news(in many cases its not a pitbull)
Are just like the media and "assult weapons".
Not every dog (or human)from an entire breed(or race) can be bad.

Its just the prevelence of retards owning this particular breed and poor people not being able to afford the animals they have..

I know that sounds heartless but poor people should not have pets or kids until they can afford them...and often times your better off with a pet then children even if you can afford children.

The last thing this world needs is more unwanted pets( or people)
Exactly, pit bulls can be had very easily. Buy one, chain it up, don't train it, and don't socialize it....you'll have a problem on your hands. Which is true with many breeds.

Some purticular lines are just wild and thick headed, very difficult to train.
But there breed for show and competition..a pulling dogs going to wanna pull and without extensive traing for the first 2 years there going to pull and be unmanage animals. You cannt have a bear live in your house and not be a bear.

I pursposely never use a leash for the first year, it comes with serious risks to your pup. But i dont want a dog i can take anywhere or have to tie up when im at a party.

I also never make my dog wear a collar unless we're playing "dress up"
Its not as gay as it sounds, its all nice leather stuff.....wait im not helping myself

Last edited:
When he was younger, my Westie was the alpha who socialized me.

He is now elderly, and needs help getting around, so he lets me be the alpha. He used to fight me if I tried to pick him up. Now, he walks over to me and waits to be carried up the stairs, plus he curls up with his back to me at night (I think he figures I will cover his 6).

Exactly, pit bulls can be had very easily. Buy one, chain it up, don't train it, and don't socialize it....you'll have a problem on your hands. Which is true with many breeds.

Yup. My black lab, Newfoundland mix I had as a kid had been rescued from being staked in some trash familie's yard on a 6 foot lead. That dog was a handful and gave more than a couple people scars to remember him by.

They stayed around to protect the corpse. Good dogs. Was gonna ask if she was hot. Nevermind.

Will they "escape" while being walked by a family member the day before execution?

Last edited:
The only pit-types I've ever met who were a**h***s, were raised by a**h***s.

By deliberate breeding, pits are not supposed to be aggressive to humans, at all. That goes back to actual pit fighting, when both dog handlers would be in the pit with them, and any dog that was aggressive towards a person would be immediately put down.

Notice I said "pit-types", because there's not really any one "pit bull", and there have been many pit-types bred to be aggressive and violent, by people who are aggressive and violent.

I've only ever owned one pit, and she's the 3 year old we adopted who is pretty much the prototype for the American Pit Bull Terrier type. Slender waist, 60 pounds, silly rose ears, and loves all people. Dog aggressive? She rolls over and shows her belly to our Golden Retriever (who lost his nuts at 16 weeks of age). The most dangerous thing about her is that she sleeps with/on you like a 60 pound bowling ball with sharp elbows.

Because my wife is a groomer and has worked in many vet clinics, we've had the occasion to meet at least dozens of pits, if not hundreds. I've never seen one who was human-aggressive.

We live not too far from the Stephen Huneck gallery, AKA "Dog Mountain", and visit regularly. There are dogs of all types and sizes there; their motto is "All Breeds, All Creeds, No Dogmas". Of identifiable breeds we've seen there, Golden Retrievers are probably the most common, then labs, and pit-types come in third or fourth.

It's a very chill place, because it's full of chill people and their dogs. :)

Dog Mountain, Home of Stephen Huneck Gallery

I wonder how many of the people here bashing pitbulls have actual first-hand experience with them, not whatever they read in the news.

As one example, some close friends have a pit, and he's a big baby. I wrestle him whenever I see him, which is only about once/year now because we moved away. Even though we are so rarely around him, I can tackle him and wrestle on the ground, and he has never come close to doing anything aggressive. He's so damn nice that when some douchebags broke into our friend's house, their pitbull didn't even get aggressive with the burglars. I'm a pretty firm believer in the upbringing, not the breed name.

I have first hand experience with several pit bulls (friends’ dogs, friends of friends dogs). Only two of the four ever attacked somebody in front of me.

Bad owners + dogs with bad histories + a breed that can do some serious damage if it wants to = bad news.

I wonder how many of the people here bashing pitbulls have actual first-hand experience with them, not whatever they read in the news.

As one example, some close friends have a pit, and he's a big baby. .

2016 U.S. Dog Bite Fatalities - DogsBite.org

• Together, pit bulls (22) and rottweilers (2), the second most lethal dog breed, accounted for 77% of the total recorded deaths in 2016. This same combination also accounted for 76% of all fatal attacks during the 12-year period of 2005 to 2016.
  • The breakdown between these two breeds is substantial over this 12-year period. From 2005 to 2016, pit bulls killed 254 Americans, about one citizen every 17 days, versus rottweilers, which killed 43, a citizen every 102 days (Related graph).

I have first hand experience with several pit bulls (friends’ dogs, friends of friends dogs). Only two of the four ever attacked somebody in front of me.

Bad owners + dogs with bad histories + a breed that can do some serious damage if it wants to = bad news.

Those are not very good odds

Those are not very good odds

And in all honesty, the ones who never did attack anybody were always kept on an extremely short leash by their owners for fear of an incident. They never fully trusted them.

Now we’re admittedly talking about dogs and owners with issues. I’ve seen plenty at dog parks over the years who were perfectly cool, normal and trusted. The breed isn’t evil by any stretch, there are just lots and lots of bad, dangerous examples out there. Because of the people involved.

2016 U.S. Dog Bite Fatalities - DogsBite.org

• Together, pit bulls (22) and rottweilers (2), the second most lethal dog breed, accounted for 77% of the total recorded deaths in 2016. This same combination also accounted for 76% of all fatal attacks during the 12-year period of 2005 to 2016.
  • The breakdown between these two breeds is substantial over this 12-year period. From 2005 to 2016, pit bulls killed 254 Americans, about one citizen every 17 days, versus rottweilers, which killed 43, a citizen every 102 days (Related graph).
WOW!
Can't argue facts...very telling.
Thx for the link.

Its funny it seems the media treats pits like ARs and are the most mentioned on the media.
Sorry to say to you all if you have a a few dogs and one day they decide your the bottom bitch you might get the same treatment.
Any dog especially breads that have a genetic disposition to protect/hunt/kill can turn on anyone at any time.
Personally m more afraid of Akita,collies and those dogs that get out of their yard for the first time.

Meet Sergeant Stubby Yankee Division World War I

[URL='https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Sergeant_Stubby_2.jpg']

Sergeant Stubby wearing his coat and medals
Stubby served with the 102nd Infantry Regiment in the trenches in France for 18 months and participated in four offensives and 17 battles. He entered combat on February 5, 1918, at Chemin des Dames, north of Soissons, and was under constant fire, day and night for over a month. In April 1918, during a raid to take Schieprey, Stubby was wounded in the foreleg by the retreating Germans throwing hand grenades. He was sent to the rear for convalescence, and as he had done on the front was able to improve morale. When he recovered from his wounds, Stubby returned to the trenches. He ultimately had two wound stripes.[3][9]

In his first year of battle Stubby was injured by mustard gas. After he recovered, he returned with a specially designed gas mask to protect him.[10] Also, he learned to warn his unit of poison gas attacks, located wounded soldiers in no man's land, and — since he could hear the whine of incoming artillery shells before humans — became very adept at letting his unit know when to duck for cover. He was solely responsible for capturing a German spy in the Argonne, leading to the commander of the 102 Infantry to nominate Stubby for the rank of sergeant.[5] However, whether Stubby was actually promoted or even an official member of the Army has been disputed.[8] Following the retaking of Château-Thierry by the US, the women of the town made Stubby a chamois coat on which were pinned his many medals. He also helped free a French town from the Germans.[citation needed] He was later injured in the chest and leg by a grenade. At the end of the war, Robert Conroy smuggled Stubby home.
[/URL]

Not the point here. The point here is that Bethany Lynn Stephens had plenty of actual first-hand experience with them, which didn’t stop them from mauling her to death.

Back
Top Bottom