• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Virginia woman mauled to death by her dogs

You know what’s interesting to me about all of these recent (and not so recent) “pit bull maulings” - it seems to always be a pair of dogs.

I honestly don’t know what the significance really is to that, but it seems way too prevalent to be a coincidence.
All canines are pack animals, with a pack mentality. If domesticated dogs don't have a person who is the established pack leader, they will assert themselves as boss.

It's as true with a Chihuahua as it is with a Tibetan Mastiff. Yes, larger stronger dogs can do more damage, but that's really the only difference in attitude (except that small dogs, like small men, tend to be aggressive beyond their capabilities).

A pair of intact male littermates of any breed, 40+ pounds, if raised with either no strong human pack leader, or (even worse) with an angry violent human pack leader, and allowed to run loose, will always be aggressive towards any creature, human or otherwise, that they perceive as weaker. As a human, you must always establish yourself as at least an equal with a canine.

We had two generic mutts in my old neighborhood in Texas who decided they were a pack on the prowl. Medium sized dogs, 40-50 pounds, of no apparent breed others than Heinz 57. One day they wander into our yard and decided that my cat looked like easy pickings. He shot under my old truck, so they had to fight on his terms then... and after about three minutes both left the yard screaming, trailing so much blood that it looked like a murder scene. Cisco had held his own, but was blowing coat, panting, and close to shock. He didn't have a single wound, but we put him in a dark closet with water and a warm towel for a couple of days.

Never saw those dogs again, either.

All canines are pack animals, with a pack mentality. If domesticated dogs don't have a person who is the established pack leader, they will assert themselves as boss.

It's as true with a Chihuahua as it is with a Tibetan Mastiff. Yes, larger stronger dogs can do more damage, but that's really the only difference in attitude (except that small dogs, like small men, tend to be aggressive beyond their capabilities).

A pair of intact male littermates of any breed, 40+ pounds, if raised with either no strong human pack leader, or (even worse) with an angry violent human pack leader, and allowed to run loose, will always be aggressive towards any creature, human or otherwise, that they perceive as weaker. As a human, you must always establish yourself as at least an equal with a canine.

We had two generic mutts in my old neighborhood in Texas who decided they were a pack on the prowl. Medium sized dogs, 40-50 pounds, of no apparent breed others than Heinz 57. One day they wander into our yard and decided that my cat looked like easy pickings. He shot under my old truck, so they had to fight on his terms then... and after about three minutes both left the yard screaming, trailing so much blood that it looked like a murder scene. Cisco had held his own, but was blowing coat, panting, and close to shock. He didn't have a single wound, but we put him in a dark closet with water and a warm towel for a couple of days.

Never saw those dogs again, either.
Cisco hauled the freight that day. Love a happy ending.

Do you think that pack mentality had something to do with all these incidents? Seems too much of a common denominator (multiple dogs) to be a coincidence, makes me wonder what role it played.

some of the people on here talking about pits sound like leftists who hate "assault weapons" for their look

If your dog is under 40 lbs.... you have cat

^these

You have a breed that causes >80% of fatalities but represents less than 10% of the total dogs in the US.

Cite for these stats?...dogsbite.org doesn’t count...I’ve already posted why they are “fake news/stats” earlier in this thread but typing in “dogsbite.org bias” into google will get similar results

Pit Bulls by the Numbers

It's just like the journalist's guide to firearms ID - all guns used in crimes are ARs and Glocks. Any dog that attacked was a pit bull.

^this too...and in addition dogs that are known to not be pits are called pits by the media for ratings...trying to educate anti pit people about them is exactly the same as trying to educate an anti gun person...the ignorant can’t see both sides only one...both can do harm as well as good...the problem is people only hear about and focus on the bad, never the good

Back
Top Bottom