• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Virginia woman mauled to death by her dogs

It's always the same story." I raised them from pups", "They were gentle and used to play with the kids". And then the crowd that says " It is not the breed, it is the owner"
Well these dogs were obviously well cared for and loved. It could have been something as simple as they didn't like what she was wearing. My dogs will bark at me if I am wearing a suit.
I agree people should not be afraid of pits, but you should take extra precautions. That is why I like hollow point .45 acp. I love dogs, all dogs. But if an unleashed lab gets aggressive I am not afraid. If it is a pit, I will blow it's f***ing brains out and tell you how bad I feel as I offer a shovel to clean up what is left of it.

This is the reason I have a .357 on my belt. The neighbors dog that bit me was not a pit bull, it was a 130 pound American bull dog, same F***** difference. Had another half dozen encounters with the dog, called the animal control officer repeatedly, the owners just did not get that I did not want to deal with this dog on MY PROPERTY. The owners thought that I was being a jerk, the animal control officer told them that I was not being a jerk, they were lucky I had not shot the thing already because it was "worrying" my livestock, and that was reason enough.

2016 U.S. Dog Bite Fatalities - DogsBite.org

• Together, pit bulls (22) and rottweilers (2), the second most lethal dog breed, accounted for 77% of the total recorded deaths in 2016. This same combination also accounted for 76% of all fatal attacks during the 12-year period of 2005 to 2016.
  • The breakdown between these two breeds is substantial over this 12-year period. From 2005 to 2016, pit bulls killed 254 Americans, about one citizen every 17 days, versus rottweilers, which killed 43, a citizen every 102 days (Related graph).

WOW!
Can't argue facts...very telling.
Thx for the link.

Ya, fake news.

My pit mauled our 10 year old pleather couch....and may be pregnant, ohh the horror.
Just like my guns, my dogs never hurt anyone.They are also not unwanted and worth more than most Americans entire firearm collection.
20171218_063135.jpg 20171218_063148.jpg

Lol. The hulk isnt a purebred pit that weighs that......
17 month old 175 lbs??? Ive seen Bigfoot

Last edited:
Ya, fake news.

My pit mauled our 10 year old pleather couch....and may be pregnant, ohh the horror.
Just like my guns, my dogs never hurt anyone.They are also not unwanted and worth more than most Americans entire firearm collection.
View attachment 215586 View attachment 215587

Your pooch is the spitting image of mine. (including eating the couch, the scamp)

We had a mixed breed whose father was a 200 pound Mastiff and mom was a 40 pound pit bull.
She weighed 75 pound by the time she was 11 months. And weighed twice as much as our Jack/Sheltie mix. She was very gentle. She liked being the "alpha" in the pack but lay down and play submissive when the dogs were playing.
The only reason no longer have here is that we moved to an apartment between homes and she exceeded the weight limit for pets.

Immediately after reading the second comment I grabbed :emoji_popcorn::emoji_popcorn:

2016 U.S. Dog Bite Fatalities - DogsBite.org

• Together, pit bulls (22) and rottweilers (2), the second most lethal dog breed, accounted for 77% of the total recorded deaths in 2016. This same combination also accounted for 76% of all fatal attacks during the 12-year period of 2005 to 2016.
  • The breakdown between these two breeds is substantial over this 12-year period. From 2005 to 2016, pit bulls killed 254 Americans, about one citizen every 17 days, versus rottweilers, which killed 43, a citizen every 102 days (Related graph).

WOW!
Can't argue facts...very telling.
Thx for the link.

you guys must love fake news...the problem with the statistics on that site is they are falsified...Colleen Lynn (who runs that website)...startled a dog who was walking with the owner on leash...she ran by too close to the owner without saying anything and startled the dog who was protecting the owner and was bit once...she then proceeded to lie to police about the incident...now she runs that hate breed abomination of a website...there is a special place in hell for this woman...hating a dog because if it's breed is similar to hating a type of gun because it's been used for mass shootings...all dogs can attack and all guns can kill

she has tried to bury this story many times since it exposes her...
http://legal.pblnn.com/pro-bsl-experts/dogbiteorg/109-collen-lynn-seattle-animal-control-records

here is a photo of the douche canoe...
Colleen Lynn - Founder and President of DogsBite.org

Last edited:
There is inbred and bad line bred dogs, and a lot of them are pit types because popular with the pants down crowd.

I’ve handled shelter pits who were fine one minute and then get aggressive with no reason. It’s real.

A guy I worked with was a landlord, went to the back door to collect the rent, the Akita on a chain reached up and snapped him on the neck one time.
But it cut his artery, scary.
If not for a cell phone and the emergency room within 3 miles it would have been fatal.
So it can happen fast and not just with pit types.

I don't know, but having witnessed a pit bull in attack mode (the victim being a small cat), it was obvious to me that their behavior was 100% instinctive. Nobody else existed in the world for that dog, not its owner, not anyone, no matter what they were saying or doing. At some point the dog just sort of "came back" and went back to being an ordinary dog, like nothing happened. From what I understand, this is the designed-in behavior of the breed. It's not the same sort of thing as a dog biting out of fear or aggression. It was completely dispassionate. It makes me doubt that an average sort of good owner will always be good enough for these breeds.

Living in Boston we meet literally hundreds of dogs and hundreds of dog owners. I have no bias towards any breed and have often pointed out to people that the dog in Spanky and Our Gang was a Pit Bull.

We have a 80lb neutered male Lab who is a therapy dog working with the elderly, special needs kids and hospital patients. Very chill and gets along with most all, and tends to find something else to do if a dog is aggressive towards him, which includes the many ill behaved “rat dogs” people keep in apartments.

The problems with Pit Bulls, Rottweilers, and Dobermans in Boston is that they appeal to certain people who are scared of their environment or want a large, aggressive dog. A lot of them have never owned a dog before, don’t seem to know other dog owners, and seemingly have no clue about dog training. This is in the projects, affluent waterfront neighborhoods, and everywhere in between.

They aren’t the only problem owners, as a lot of new owners buy the “Dog du Jour” and have no clue either. There are some Portuguese Water Dogs, Silver Labs, Labradoodles etc. that are expensive pedigreed dogs that can’t walk on a leash, don’t come when called, jump on people, etc. Rhodesian Ridgebacks seem to be the most contrary buggers around, and a “Well behaved Dalmatian” is a conundrum. But they seldom attack others.

Do we treat a “new” Pit Bull, Rottweiler, or Doberman differently? You bet your ass. Ironically we have little concern with German Shepherds, because they had such a poor reputation the only people who own them now are breed lovers who usually have them perfectly obedient.

We’re careful with some other breeds like Terriers as well. We don’t give other Labs a free pass either because they’ve been so popular for so long that there are some out there that don’t act like Labs, and there are lots of mutts that look like Labs. And you never know if you are dealing with an unneutered male.

In our current neighborhood there’s an Irish guy with an aggressive Pit that he has little control over and he seems fearful of. Everyone clears out when he’s around, an a**h*** dog and a**h*** owner. And there’s the most hood looking young Black Guy with a Pit that is an Ambassador for the breed and will play happily in a mixed pack of a dozen dogs. The owner is always responsible, but it’s Proof by Performance and not all reports of Pits are fabricated or biased or wrong.

Your pooch is the spitting image of mine. (including eating the couch, the scamp)
She didnt really eat it, its a $250 pleather piece of crap within weeks it was just a pealing messm
View attachment 215634 Cant say what might have set them off, but when owning a breed thats well known to get overly aggressive, one or two of these could have saved numerous lives......

Ever owner should have one if your going to be putting a dog in a situation where idiots are around..but at the same time people are more (irrationally) fearful of muzzled dog..especially the cage ones, an out of control dog with one of those cages can really hurt someone with a head butt..i like these. DTM88-2T.jpg

A bit of a tangent, but you may have seen this Seacoast Online article about the man who shot a Malamute that was attacking his Pomeranian, in a leash-free trail system in Rye. The Union Leader article was no better; both made it sound like a trigger-happy nut was blasting away. And that's how the police treated it: they charged him with reckless conduct.

Killed dog's owner 'traumatized and sad'

But then there's the only other eyewitness account, which happens to be by someone I (casually, sort-of) know. She doesn't like guns, at all... but stick with it to the end.

One Morning (non)Walk, a Gunshot and a Dead Dog – Kelly Halldorson

I think people who deny that pits are more dangerous than other breeds are just wrong. Dogs are breed for a purpose. greyhounds to run, cattledogs to herd, huskys to pull sleds, retrievers to bring shit back etc. etc.
Pits are bred to be fighters, plain and simple. Now I don't doubt that many NESr's have pits that are awesome pets and great around people. But lets face it, most of the NES crowd is more responsible and maybe a bit smarter, than the average pit owner.
What can't be denied is that whether inclined to do so or not, pits are capable of causing massive damage, are tough as hell, and are more tenacious in their attack than most other breeds.
Previous posters are correct, all dogs can bite or attack. And some pits would never hurt a fly. But pit attacks just seem a whole lot more memorable

A bit of a tangent, but you may have seen this Seacoast Online article about the man who shot a Malamute that was attacking his Pomeranian, in a leash-free trail system in Rye. The Union Leader article was no better; both made it sound like a trigger-happy nut was blasting away. And that's how the police treated it: they charged him with reckless conduct.
I got the impression that the reckless conduct charge was more about putting people in danger than anything else -- Melinda Birse (the person walking the Alaskan Malamute that was shot), was lying on top of the malamute to restrain him at the time Robert Vose fired the shots. Melinda stated “How could he do this? Who shoots a dog? He could have shot me. I was hugging the dog when he shot him.” and “I was on top of the dog. He could have shot me.” This was all apparently happening while the 100lb Alaskan Malamute was chowing down on Robert Vose's 5lb Pomeranian.

I got the impression that the reckless conduct charge was more about putting people in danger than anything else -- Melinda Birse (the person walking the Alaskan Malamute that was shot), was lying on top of the malamute to restrain him at the time Robert Vose fired the shots. Melinda stated “How could he do this? Who shoots a dog? He could have shot me. I was hugging the dog when he shot him.” and “I was on top of the dog. He could have shot me.” This was all apparently happening while the 100lb Alaskan Malamute was chowing down on Robert Vose's 5lb Pomeranian.
If you read the link a few posts up, an anti-gun eye witness strongly disputes that account. I have seen second hand how the media narrative in arrest cases can be miles from reality and conveniently matches the police account/charges. The police are often the main source for the story.

I think people who deny that pits are more dangerous than other breeds are just wrong. Dogs are breed for a purpose. greyhounds to run, cattledogs to herd, huskys to pull sleds, retrievers to bring shit back etc. etc.
Pits are bred to be fighters, plain and simple.
Pits are bred for many reasons. Those bred to fight, are bred to fight other dogs only, and to have very low aggression against humans (pit fights had human handlers in the pit, after all).

Pits were also bred for companionship, and to be nanny dogs for children.

Melinda Birse (the person walking the Alaskan Malamute that was shot), was lying on top of the malamute to restrain him at the time Robert Vose fired the shots.
Please go read Kelly Halldorson's first-hand account that I cited. The woman who claimed she was lying on top of the Malamute was wandering around waving her hands and screaming yards away, and had no snow or debris on her clothing.

Kelly also says she was 100 yards away when the shots were fired. She isn't the only witness, just the most talkative.

We can likely agree that Robert Vose (owner of the Pom) broke the second rule of surviving interaction with the police -- if unavoidable, be the first to call.

My three year old well trained 100 pound GS/Husky wouldn't hurt a fly... other than he has a strong prey instinct and if he ever did decide to "hurt" he'd be a real handful to deal with. EVERY dog is derived from wolves and deep inside they all have the capability of biting/attacking/hunting, whether they use it or not. I wouldn't have a dog like my current dog (100 lbs and potentially a handful if something somehow triggered this outstanding dog to attack) if I weren't very confident as a trainer/alpha owner and I agree with what others have said here, that pits get a bad rap because they're frequently teamed with owners who don't have a prayer of giving them the real training they need. I have no idea what happened with the lady who was mauled and every case is different, but as an experienced owner/trainer I can tell you that I wouldn't want to have TWO of my very well trained 100 lb. dog, because I personally know that I can handle him and deal with him physically if it's ever necessary. But once you get two the entire mentality (potentially changes, especially if something triggers an attack. In my opinion the cases of attack are invariably linked to an owner biting off more than he/she can chew in terms of legitimately pairing themselves with a dog they can handle and train. This is one of the reasons I just had my daughter get a 10 pound purse (rescue) dog as her first dog.

Pits are bred to be fighters, plain and simple. Now I don't doubt that many NESr's have pits that are awesome pets and great around people. But lets face it, most of the NES crowd is more responsible and maybe a bit smarter, than the average pit owner.
What can't be denied is that whether inclined to do so or not, pits are capable of causing massive damage, are tough as hell, and are more tenacious in their attack than most other breeds.
Previous posters are correct, all dogs can bite or attack. And some pits would never hurt a fly. But pit attacks just seem a whole lot more memorable

Pits are bred for many reasons. Those bred to fight, are bred to fight other dogs only, and to have very low aggression against humans (pit fights had human handlers in the pit, after all).

Pits were also bred for companionship, and to be nanny dogs for children.

pits that are bred to fight other dogs have to be taught to fight...that's not an instinct...that's a learned behavior...but they can be un-taught as well...look at all the vicktory dogs...
Michael Vick's Pit Bulls: Where Are They Now?

If you read the link a few posts up, an anti-gun eye witness strongly disputes that account. I have seen second hand how the media narrative in arrest cases can be miles from reality and conveniently matches the police account/charges. The police are often the main source for the story.

Yep. Usually exclusively. When an anti-gun, dog lover is backing the person who used a gun to kill a dog, yet the guy gets charged, yeah, sort of raises a massive red flag. And when the fact the dog he killed had his own dog in its mouth is undisputed entirely...

This whole thread is like the battle of the anecdotes.

“I’ve met some really nice pit bulls who wouldn’t hurt a fly therefore pit bulls are incapable of doing wrong without it being exclusively the owner’s fault.”

“I’ve heard about pit bulls killing people therefore pit bulls are evil.”

Well, both seem unlikely. Dogs are animals with minds of their own and capable of doing things beyond the control of others. Dogs are also capable of being trained to lessen the chances of them harming others. And certain breeds based on genetics are always going to be more capable of harm if they act.

Even if Pit Bulls and Rottweilers have a better and less aggressive temperament than almost any other breed, they are still going to be more dangerous than any tiny dog regardless of how aggressive they may be.

So what’s the point here?

so why don't they open the dogs up and prove that they were "eating her"...also do some dna tests on the bites and bite measurements...all i know is the dogs in those photos are not 100lbs and 120lbs...they look smaller than mine and mine are 80lbs and 60lbs

“What I observed personally, it was in the community’s best interest,” Sheriff Agnew said. “Once a dog tastes human flesh it is not safe to have that dog around humans.” ...this is moronic...how many times has a dog licked a humans wound and never eaten anyone...probably should take all the soldiers dogs and cops k9 dogs away cause they taste human flesh every time they bite a suspect/enemy...something is still fishy about this story

Friends of ours have been in the high level K9 training area for years.
They work with Belgian and german Shepherds for protection and police work.
We were told that no matter how good the breeding is, and how extensive the training is, you can never trust a dog 100%.
Breeds were bred for certain traits, and they are hardwired for these traits.
Don't kid yourself into thinking that you can overcome this.

so why don't they open the dogs up and prove that they were "eating her"...also do some dna tests on the bites and bite measurements...all i know is the dogs in those photos are not 100lbs and 120lbs...they look smaller than mine and mine are 80lbs and 60lbs

“What I observed personally, it was in the community’s best interest,” Sheriff Agnew said. “Once a dog tastes human flesh it is not safe to have that dog around humans.” ...this is moronic...how many times has a dog licked a humans wound and never eaten anyone...probably should take all the soldiers dogs and cops k9 dogs away cause they taste human flesh every time they bite a suspect/enemy...something is still fishy about this story

What do you think would happen if the handler wasn't there to pull the dog off?
When I was younger, a K9 Trooper who lived close by retired and decided to take the dog with him.
It went through a screen door and killed his toddler shortly afterward.
Once an animal views humans as prey your never going to change that and turning your back on one that's been trained to do so is a real bad idea.

In this particular case the Deputies who got there first actually witnessed the dogs eating her.
I love dogs and have had and trained them all my life.
Pits are a roll of the dice unless you can trace their line way back.
So are a lot of other breeds, just less capable of killing or maiming you or someone else.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom