• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Virginia woman mauled to death by her dogs

Old mother Hubbard went to the cupboard to get her poor pit bull a bone, when mother bent over the pit bull took over, and what the hell mauled poor mother to death.

And in an alternate universe...

"Stephens' friend, Barbara Norris, was not convinced by the authorities' account of her death, saying the dogs, which Stephens had been raising since they were puppies, would never turn on her, ABC affiliate WRIC reported. "They'd kill you with kisses," Norris told NBC affiliate WWBT, adding that the dogs' kennels looked as though they had been forced open. She suggested that something may have happened to Stephens after walking the dogs, and the dogs then forced themselves out to help her."

An owner was found mauled to death by her two dogs - but her friends suspect foul play

"Stephens' friend, Barbara Norris, was not convinced by the authorities' account of her death, saying the dogs, which Stephens had been raising since they were puppies, would never turn on her, ABC affiliate WRIC reported. "They'd kill you with kisses," Norris told NBC affiliate WWBT, adding that the dogs' kennels looked as though they had been forced open. She suggested that something may have happened to Stephens after walking the dogs, and the dogs then forced themselves out to help her."

An owner was found mauled to death by her two dogs - but her friends suspect foul play
It's not hard to make that determination.

"the petite, 5-foot-1 young woman, who weighed a little more than 100 pounds, was mauled to death by her dogs, which had a combined weight of about twice hers...."

During the conference, Agnew described the dogs as "very large brindle-coloured pitbull dogs."

"The dogs clearly, at least in our estimation in a dark night, had something to do with this. It was an absolutely grisly mauling," Agnew told reporters."

Two "very large" 50 pound pit bulls? OK, if you say so.

I wouldn't be shocked if she got attacked by someone/something else.

"the petite, 5-foot-1 young woman, who weighed a little more than 100 pounds, was mauled to death by her dogs, which had a combined weight of about twice hers...."

During the conference, Agnew described the dogs as "very large brindle-coloured pitbull dogs."

"The dogs clearly, at least in our estimation in a dark night, had something to do with this. It was an absolutely grisly mauling," Agnew told reporters."

Two "very large" 50 pound pit bulls? OK, if you say so.

I wouldn't be shocked if she got attacked by someone/something else.

No, it says that there was 200 lbs of dog vs 100 lbs of woman.

The most bite issues I've seen have been from poorly trained GSDs -- but that's anecdotal. I have a lot of friends with pits, none with aggression issues.

Mike

I always look at it like a lady finger vs. a 1/4 stick. They both will bite you, but one will take a hand with ease. I don't care how many you know and who trained them, it is best to never turn your back on ANY animal.

Not really. But I live on a main road. Dog walkers don’t enjoy it; something about loud, frequent cars...

2016 U.S. Dog Bite Fatalities - DogsBite.org

• Together, pit bulls (22) and rottweilers (2), the second most lethal dog breed, accounted for 77% of the total recorded deaths in 2016. This same combination also accounted for 76% of all fatal attacks during the 12-year period of 2005 to 2016.
  • The breakdown between these two breeds is substantial over this 12-year period. From 2005 to 2016, pit bulls killed 254 Americans, about one citizen every 17 days, versus rottweilers, which killed 43, a citizen every 102 days (Related graph).

Not the point here. The point here is that Bethany Lynn Stephens had plenty of actual first-hand experience with them, which didn’t stop them from mauling her to death.

It's actually exactly my point. We have no idea how she raised her dogs. Pits are STRONG. Their bites are strong. They need to be trained well.

Is a 100-lb pit common? I don’t see pits very often.

No. they are unheard of.

The whole thing reminds me of the 3/5 compromise, or the term "octoroon"(1/8 coon)

So if you have a rotty/pibull/german Shepard mix....if only its wasnt ??% pit this woman would be alive.

What i have notice over the past 15 years is a rise of popularity of rednose over what used to be almost exclusively bluenose owners...
Its neither good or bad but it has increased the whole pitbulls are visious sterotype

No. they are unheard of.

The whole thing reminds me of the 3/5 compromise, or the term "octoroon"(1/8 coon)

So if you have a rotty/pibull/german Shepard mix....if only its wasnt ??% pit this woman would be alive.

What i have notice over the past 15 years is a rise of popularity of rednose over what used to be almost exclusively bluenose owners...
Its neither good or bad but it has increased the whole pitbulls are visious sterotype
Crips and Bloods?

Yet another reason to carry when out walking the dogs.

For the record, here she is with the dogs in question:
bethany-stephens-killed-by-pet-pit-bulls-1.jpg

Curious to know the non-end of life euthanasia rates for breeds.
Not as high as it should be, particularly among backyard breeders with a reputation for selling dogs with inherent mental/behavioral issues.

As I mentioned in a previous dog thread, I know several owners/breeders involved in breed-specific rescues. While nobody likes to talk about it, some dogs just can't safely be around people or other animals -- not solely dogs which were raised poorly.

It's always the same story." I raised them from pups", "They were gentle and used to play with the kids". And then the crowd that says " It is not the breed, it is the owner"
Well these dogs were obviously well cared for and loved. It could have been something as simple as they didn't like what she was wearing. My dogs will bark at me if I am wearing a suit.
I agree people should not be afraid of pits, but you should take extra precautions. That is why I like hollow point .45 acp. I love dogs, all dogs. But if an unleashed lab gets aggressive I am not afraid. If it is a pit, I will blow it's f***ing brains out and tell you how bad I feel as I offer a shovel to clean up what is left of it.

An unfortunate mistake commonly made by delusional people is just because you love something, it doesn't mean it loves you back.
A gal I went to school with had a horse for ten years that she fawned over to the point of being sort of sickening.
Damn thing lived better that a lot of people do.
One day it just got it in it's mind it was her day to die and kicked her right in the head for no apparent reason.
She left a husband and two small kids.

They are animals, not human beings and people who try and assign human reasoning and behavior to them are setting themselves up for bad things to happen.
They are not robots either, you can't just program your desired behavior into them.
This , "Well the dog was poorly trained" out is horseshit.
There are going to be times when no matter how well trained an animal is , it's natural instinct will override that training at the moment.
If it's a Parakeet, you get nipped on the finger, If it's a pit bull you get you throat torn out.

2016 U.S. Dog Bite Fatalities - DogsBite.org

• Together, pit bulls (22) and rottweilers (2), the second most lethal dog breed, accounted for 77% of the total recorded deaths in 2016. This same combination also accounted for 76% of all fatal attacks during the 12-year period of 2005 to 2016.
  • The breakdown between these two breeds is substantial over this 12-year period. From 2005 to 2016, pit bulls killed 254 Americans, about one citizen every 17 days, versus rottweilers, which killed 43, a citizen every 102 days (Related graph).
The problem with this statistic is that there is no such thing as "a pit bull", but many breeds, including many who are actually mutts with no kind of breed registry.

The term "pit bull" in reporting about dog bites is just as meaningless (and just as sensationalistic) as the term "assault weapon".

An unfortunate mistake commonly made by delusional people is just because you love something, it doesn't mean it loves you back.
A gal I went to school with had a horse for ten years that she fawned over to the point of being sort of sickening.
Damn thing lived better that a lot of people do.
One day it just got it in it's mind it was her day to die and kicked her right in the head for no apparent reason.
She left a husband and two small kids.

They are animals, not human beings and people who try and assign human reasoning and behavior to them are setting themselves up for bad things to happen.
They are not robots either, you can't just program your desired behavior into them.
This , "Well the dog was poorly trained" out is horseshit.
There are going to be times when no matter how well trained an animal is , it's natural instinct will override that training at the moment.
If it's a Parakeet, you get nipped on the finger, If it's a pit bull you get you throat torn out.
I agree some dogs are just bad. Which comes back to the owner...in knowing when an animal needs to get put down.

Back
Top Bottom