Video of my recent spearfishing trip to Florida

AllaSnackbah

NES Member
Aside from guns, one of my biggest obsessions is freedive spearfishing. This April my 3 friends and I drove down for a week. Here is a video of the footage i got on my gopro camera. Enjoy.

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks guys, yeah it is a lot of fun. ill have videos of striped bass on southwest ledge off block island in a few weeks as well. ill be sure to post.

Very cool, just the one shark? Figure youd see a lot of bulls off marathon.

the nurse sharks were everywhere. we did have one encounter with a bull and it was insane, i wish i had had my camera on. we were drift diving in about 100' of water looking for wahoo. there were permit and barracuda everywhere and my friend ryan did a drop to about 40' and shot a nice barracuda, the fish dove for the bottom, went out of sight, and then came flying back up at mach 3 and jumped about 5' out of the water, not far behind it was a 6' bull shark. amazing how fast and powerful they are underwater. luckily the shark took off when ryan swam at it, could have been bad. it was badass though i would have given up all my other footage just to have that on film.

i was more worried about losing my rig to one of those 500lb goliath grouper though, they were hanging out on the bow of that wreck, if one of our speared fish came anywhere close they would swallow the whole thing and drag your whole gun down into the wreck. scary haha.

Last edited:
It is to bad I swim about as good as a cinder block floats, I would love to do this. Cool video man.

It is to bad I swim about as good as a cinder block floats, I would love to do this. Cool video man.

You dont really have to be an Olympic swimmer to do it, I know fat guys who'll put me to shame any day, and some of those drops I did in that video are probably 60'

THanks for sharing. Awesome video. I'd like to see the video you mention of stripers off of Block island. Sounds cool as well. God knows I'd like to see that they really exist out there as I suck at catching them surf casting. lol

THanks for sharing. Awesome video. I'd like to see the video you mention of stripers off of Block island. Sounds cool as well. God knows I'd like to see that they really exist out there as I suck at catching them surf casting. lol

ill be sure to add videos when i get out there, probably within the next 3-6 weeks.

nice at 6:45 you stick a knife in the baby cudas head to finish him off

haha yeah, they are powerful fish and they've got a nasty set of teeth. a knife to the brain puts the majority of they're shenanigans to a quick end

What speargun are you using? It kind of looks like a Riffe but I don't think it is. Something I did a lot in the early 90's. There is another member who posts here that I'd bet you have dove with if you do any of the meets in RI. Lots of fun.

What speargun are you using? It kind of looks like a Riffe but I don't think it is. Something I did a lot in the early 90's. There is another member who posts here that I'd bet you have dove with if you do any of the meets in RI. Lots of fun.

Yup its a Riffe no ka oi. If they are a member here I bet they're a member on spearboard too.

Yup its a Riffe no ka oi. If they are a member here I bet they're a member on spearboard too.

I met Riffe and his daughter at the 91 nationals in Newport RI. He didn't compete as I remember but was there for tuna. He was asking us a lot of questions about bluefin. Since we are Mass bay guys. Kept telling him no its illegal but he had selective hearing. Terry Maas was the same way. They wanted to shoot big bluefin.

I met Riffe and his daughter at the 91 nationals in Newport RI. He didn't compete as I remember but was there for tuna. He was asking us a lot of questions about bluefin. Since we are Mass bay guys. Kept telling him no its illegal but he had selective hearing. Terry Maas was the same way. They wanted to shoot big bluefin.

I've never met Jay but I have met Jill once. Good people. I buy most of my gear from them.

Back
Top Bottom