• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Varmint hunting at it's finest "Graphic"

This is your prairie dog.

Dickerson-6064_1.jpg

And this is your prairie dog on 22-250 @4000 FPS

Dickerson-6065.jpg

Any questions?

Dean

Last edited:
Another reason to move west - ranchers advertise for folks to come and kill the varmints (at least they used to).

Let the carcass stink a bit and get the coyotes that come in on it too.

I grew up in Saskatchewan. My childhood was filled with whacking them but it was only pellet guns and .22s back then for me. I'm bummed my kid won't grow up like I did! Good times.

Another reason to move west - ranchers advertise for folks to come and kill the varmints (at least they used to).

Let the carcass stink a bit and get the coyotes that come in on it too.

Where my aunt and uncle live (Christmas Valley Oregon) a common past-time is Sage Rat shooting. On a nice day in late Spring or early Summer, you will see trucks lined up along the road, normally one guy in a folding chair in the bed of the truck with a spotter's scope in one of the stake-holders and a guy prone with a small caliber rifle.

The Spotter calls the shot, the shooter takes it. Sometimes, the farmers in the area pay a bounty of $5 per tail. You can watch the hawks and even the occasional bald eagle sitting on the irrigation rigs waiting to see the red mist, then they swoop in for a free meal.

LOADS of fun.

How do you go about booking a prairie dog hunt? Do you book with an outfitter or just pay a trespass fee to land owners?

Back
Top Bottom