UZI " Hearing" on Beacon Hill

I've never heard or seen the phrase "fifty fifty" about the mico uzi in my entire life and neither has anyone I know in the machinegun business.

Its just a phrase that some reporter or antigun a**h*** just made up to enhance their position.

Well, it will be a phrase that is repeated often at that meeting. And if it takes hold, this turkey is roasted. Anyone involved with this needs to call this dweeb out on that phrase any time it is spoken.

Well, it will be a phrase that is repeated often at that meeting. And if it takes hold, this turkey is roasted. Anyone involved with this needs to call this dweeb out on that phrase any time it is spoken.

Yup.

There's another shop on the "Places I'll Never Buy From" list.

Anyone ever hear of D&S? I did a google search. Doesn't look like it has a website and the only place I found a link was a hunter supply link site. Bet you a 'fifty-fifty' it's Fudd central.

I hate to say it, but we're our own worst enemies. Too many people willing to say 'well, I don't own a ________ and I don't want one so I don't need to defend anyone else's right to have one' and then throw them off the back of the sleigh to keep the wolves busy.[hmmm]

I hate to say it, but we're our own worst enemies. Too many people willing to say 'well, I don't own a ________ and I don't want one so I don't need to defend anyone else's right to have one' and then throw them off the back of the sleigh to keep the wolves busy.[hmmm]

Like when Hitler became Chancellor? It's already happened in this state when the critters on the Hill wanted to put trigger locks on Brown Bess's. The Colonial reenactors banded together to fight that one, but didn't stand up for the modern firearms.

???????

the story is all over the country.even here in SC.what gets me is the gun owners.1,500,000 disapeared in Mass.Me too.but I was active and I voted and never missed going to the hearings.aparently most residents are more interested in gay rights than in their constitution.me I have land I have wood
and I can grow food and the freezer has three deer in it and no checking stations.maybe more as one more month to go.
and for goodness sake dont down the people involved no matter what you think.
who is brian ballou?? I know a JIM.

A number of years ago, we stayed at a bed and breakfast in Colorado, next to a river where an eight year old had been killed when they tipped the ATV they were driving into it.

There were no cries for new laws and bans. It was just a tragedy, and the parents probably should not have let the kid drive the thing, I suppose. It makes me so sick that people are screaming with moral outrage over this. It was a stupid mistake, it was an accident, it was bad judgement. It is not an excuse for more government intrusion into people's lives.

hminsky, I was thinking the same thing.

What about that kid that died today because he has a nut allergy but ate that cookie at Starbucks?

There's no call to close down stores. Or to ban peanuts. Or to ban allergens.

It's just grandstanding.

The Westfield tragedy that claimed the kid's life was an accident. Clearly sound judgment was absent that day. But that doesn't give carte blanche for Beacon Hill to enact more intrusions on our firearms rights.

State House News: PUBLIC SAFETY COMMITTEE HEARING SET IN WAKE OF WESTFIELD DEATH

PUBLIC SAFETY COMMITTEE HEARING SET IN WAKE OF WESTFIELD DEATH

An 8-year-old boy’s death after he shot an Uzi at a Westfield gun show drew national headlines and questions over whether children should be allowed to handle such weapons. The Legislature’s Public Safety Committee on Friday morning announced an oversight hearing on the incident for Monday, Nov. 17. “The objective of the hearing is to better understand current gun laws and gun club shows and to assess how best to prevent future tragedies,” according to a staff memo.

PUBLIC SAFETY COMMITTEE HEARING SET IN WAKE OF WESTFIELD DEATH

“The objective of the hearing is to better understand current gun laws and gun club shows and to assess how best to prevent future tragedies,” according to a staff memo.

Liberal speak translated:

Let's see how we can erode the rights of Gun owners even further by exploiting a tragedy.

[thinking]

Letter to my legislators:

I am writing in anticipation of a hearing related to the tragic death of an 8 year old Connecticut boy who recently died as a result of injuries sustained while attending Westfield Sportsman’s Club annual machine gun shoot. As the father of a seven year old girl, I am certainly affected by this news, as I’m sure you are.

This tragic death, like the death of any young child, is an event worthy of reflection. The firearms community is responding with just this kind of thoughtful reflection. Sportsmen and women across the state are reviewing their approach to firearms safety and adjusting where needed. There is a healthy ongoing discussion among firearms enthusiasts to prevent a further tragedy.

I urge you NOT to pursue further firearms related legislation in response to this incident. Further, I request that you use your influence to dissuade your fellow legislators from pursuing this course. This type of reflexive action would be nothing more than “feel good” legislation and would further restrict the exercise of the second amendment and tradition of enjoying the shooting sports in the commonwealth.

State House News: GUN LAW CHANGES EXPECTED, COAKLEY SAYS

GUN LAW CHANGES EXPECTED, COAKLEY SAYS

Attorney General Martha Coakley said on Wednesday night she expected changes to gun laws in the wake of the death of an eight-year-old boy who was an Uzi in Westfield. Coakley noted on NewsNight with Jim Braude on New England Cable News that the criminal investigation is still ongoing, but there don’t appear to be any laws broken. “We don’t really know what happened. It’s just a horrible incident. It’s really disturbing,” she said, adding, “I guarantee that there will be some changes in the law.” A Beacon Hill oversight hearing, by the Committee on Public Safety and Homeland Security, on the incident was postponed from next Monday until after the criminal investigation. Massachusetts is widely considered to have some of the strictest gun laws in the country.

State House News: PUBLIC SAFETY COMMITTEE POSTPONES GUN HEARING

PUBLIC SAFETY COMMITTEE POSTPONES GUN HEARING

An oversight hearing on the Westfield Uzi incident that resulted in the death of an eight-year-old boy has been postponed from next Monday until after the completion of the related criminal investigation, aides said today. "The Committee has decided that to have a more meaningful oversight hearing, we will wait for the grand jury criminal investigation to be completed before proceeding," according to a committee email this afternoon. The hearing will focus on current gun laws and gun shows.

An oversight hearing on the Westfield Uzi incident that resulted in the death of an eight-year-old boy has been postponed from next Monday until after the completion of the related criminal investigation, aides said today. "The Committee has decided that to have a more meaningful oversight hearing, we will wait for the grand jury criminal investigation to be completed before proceeding," according to a committee email this afternoon. The hearing will focus on current gun laws and gun shows.

Let's review:

1. The investigation - begun after the principals decamped from the site of the tragedy - is not even completed;

2. There is no provision in MA law for the possession of a machine gun by anyone OTHER than the MA-licensed owner (ask anyone who's shot at Hanson the past 2 years); and

3. Gun shows had NOTHING to do with this event.

Yet our learned AG has already declared, “I guarantee that there will be some changes in the law.”

I'd suggest that she is grandstanding, but I don't want to be guilty of a similar rush to judgment. [rolleyes]

Martha's comments to Braude's questions begin around the 2:50 left mark in the video clip.
GC

http://www.necn.com/Boston/Politics/Martha-Coakleys-legal-brief/1226539307.html

Aside from the ominous "There will be changes" comment, I really don't have a problem with anything she said in that video. It was basically a bunch of "we don't know yet" and even went so far as to say that GOAL members were the good guys and that the reason there wasn't any laws is because nobody ever thought there would have to be a law to prevent this...

....which is something that I agree with. The guy who own the MG was an idiot. You can't predict, and therefore outlaw that level of stupidity. This was, as I believe somebody here said, the equivalent to handing an 8yo a chainsaw and saying "Here ya go kid. Have fun."

the story is all over the country.even here in SC.what gets me is the gun owners.1,500,000 disapeared in Mass.Me too.but I was active and I voted and never missed going to the hearings.aparently most residents are more interested in gay rights than in their constitution.me I have land I have wood
and I can grow food and the freezer has three deer in it and no checking stations.maybe more as one more month to go.
and for goodness sake dont down the people involved no matter what you think.
who is brian ballou?? I know a JIM.

Ummm, hope you have a steam powered generator you can burn your wood in to keep the power on for the freezer when SHTF...[grin]

if the kid got a hold of some draino under the kitchen sink it would have just been a tragedy. why should this be treated any different?

because... it's the evil guns fault... not the fault of the father that should have known better (he's a freaking DR. for crying out loud) and not the range officer that failed to ensure that he had a secure grip on the gun.

It is that evil object that did it... just as if the kid fell off his bike and died... on wait... not the same... bikes arnt evil (yet)

Is it safe to assume that any re-scheduling of this event will be obvious to the NES community, and that it will provide ample time to make arrangements?

if the kid got a hold of some draino under the kitchen sink it would have just been a tragedy. why should this be treated any different?

Of course not.

A blue bottle of Liquid Draino ain't as scary, black and cold killing machine! [rolleyes]

It just gives the neo-prohibitionists a soapbox.

Or, you can check the legislature committee hearings schedule every now and then...

http://www.mass.gov/legis/#hear_mark

I used to be in the habit of checking it at least once or twice a week, but have been getting forgetful about it.

The last time there was a 2A related hearing, the room and time was changed last minute. Goal found out about it, but that schedule was never changed. I put my trust in Jim Wallace over that schedule.

The last time there was a 2A related hearing, the room and time was changed last minute. Goal found out about it, but that schedule was never changed. I put my trust in Jim Wallace over that schedule.

Was that via the GOAL website, email alert or a phone call?

There have been times when I've read about committee hearings on the MA General Court site and a few days later on the GOAL website.

I'll admit... the General Court website can be frustratingly slow in posting the language of proposed bills, but if a committee hearing is scheduled, at least it'll give you a heads-up.

Probably the best course of action is to check both sites and/or call GOAL for a confirmation or update(s).

Was that via the GOAL website, email alert or a phone call?

There have been times when I've read about committee hearings on the MA General Court site and a few days later on the GOAL website.

I'll admit... the General Court website can be frustratingly slow in posting the language of proposed bills, but if a committee hearing is scheduled, at least it'll give you a heads-up.

Probably the best course of action is to check both sites and/or call GOAL for a confirmation or update(s).

Email alert and here.

Back
Top Bottom