USPSA Shooter Shot with Her Holstered Gun - And Never Touched It

I think it is more likely clothing became introduced into the trigger guard while holstering the gun without the shooter or SO noticing. When the shooter started to move positions her movement caused the clothing to depress the trigger. This is something I have cautioned about before and we must be aware of and recognize before another accident happens.

Without seeing the actual video, I tend to believe the clothing played a part. In the one video another posted, you can see towards the end how the shirt is coming up and starting to "bunch" up towards the top of her pink holster. I know for me, I've had shirts that started to cover the top of the holster and got in the way. The shirts never got into the trigger guard, but I could imagine it happening. I don't wear those type of shirts when shooting anymore.

I didn't read it or any of the comments, but hopefully this is a 2 page discussion about why YOU ALWAYS HAVE A TOURNIQUET and knowledge of its application instead of "glock iz bettur than m&p" or vice versa.

First aid training is useful as well. You get range style points if an accidental shooting victim is properly packaged for transport with the ambulance arrives. Points are deducted for standing around with a dumb look on your face, or playing field doctor causing an initial reaction of "my god what did you do to him?".

Bonus points are assessed for wearing protective gloves and having a CPR mouthpiece handy (though current training emphasizes chest compression over the breathing).

Tactical training is fun, but first responder training can also save a life. Get some.

Thinking on tourniquets has changed over the years. When I was a kid, first aid training was "tourniquet only when the limb is severed". In actuality, the time before ischemic damage is measured in hours, not minutes. If you have a sharpie handy, it's good form to write the time of application on the patient (not sure if convention is forehead or near the tourniquet). Bill Carlo (Weston PD detective) did a great class on the big three tools for gunshot wounds - tourniquet; Israeli bandage; and clotting gauze. (Don't forget to keep gloves in you bag to wear when using these tools).

I 110% agree with all the discussion about tourniquets. I took a fellow NES's (ld2024) basic trauma class and it truly opened my eyes. So much so, that I carry a CAT tourniquet, Celox, Israeli bandage, and gloves all the time. Not just in my range bag, but actually with me. How many times have we all been at the range by ourselves, and the range bag is 30 yards from you?

Also practice putting on the CAT, strong side, weak side, one handed, etc. You want to be able to buy some time until the professionals arrive. I plan on taking additional first aid training.

I am not an EMT nor a first responder of any kind, just my opinion.

Jay

No, please tell. If there's a better way I'd like to know for my next build.
Ok so there is nothing instrinsically wrong with using a dremel (rotary tool). There are plenty of gunsmithing tasks that are well suited for a tool like this. Polishing/finishing and polymer grip mods are common uses.
There are two issues:
1: Dremel brand sells almost nothing but tool-shaped garbage. I used Foredom flexshafts which are superior in every respect. I won't waste a dime on a dremel brand product.
2: One can easily get carried away with a high-speed rotary tool, grinding away way too much material or generating huge amounts of heat. Most tasks can be accomplished with more control and better results with quality handtools (files/rasps/sandpaper/etc).

After quickly looking at her shotgun modification video (which made me want to gouge my eyes out), it's clear she is a moron and botcher. She should be given a safety helmet and a neon vest to wear at all times for her own safety and the safety of those around her.
I am willing to bet that she applied her own gun-fairy magic to the gun she shot herself with and just forgot about it. There's so many levels of stupid here its breath taking.

It is interesting that the injury "totally destroyed her calf muscle" and "totally destroyed all nerves", but she was sent home until they discovered compartment syndrome.

Her entire video reads like a plaintiff's attorney summation to the jury, and was likely prepared with legal counsel.

It is interesting that the injury "totally destroyed her calf muscle" and "totally destroyed all nerves", but she was sent home until they discovered compartment syndrome.

Her entire video reads like a plaintiff's attorney summation to the jury, and was likely prepared with legal counsel.

Compartment syndrome if bad enough is what destroys muscle and nerves. The swelling gets so bad it causes pressure that cuts off circulation. I was involved in a work related injury last year (run into by a forklift) causing a nasty hematoma to my calf. I was sent home and told to keep an eye out for compartment syndrome......given the list of symptoms and told that if I saw compartment syndrome come right back to the ER because I could be facing.......muscle and nerve damage up to possible amputatoin. I actually don't see any problem in her claim that she was sent home and then had that damage based on my exact same experience with compartment syndrome. Granted......I did not get shot......but it felt like I did.

Bottom line....its the swelling days after the trauma (compartment syndrome) that causes the extensive damage to muscle and nerve not the initial injury.

BTW.....on my injury.....happened a year ago....still healing as I have nerve damage.

Last edited:
You would think that, with trauma being likely to cause that shit, that they would keep people in the hospital until they were out of the danger
zone. " for it. There has to be systems or medical protocol that help an injured limb stay out of that condition. My guess is they don't even
like doing it because it might be a crap shoot so nobody wants to PAY for it.

-Mike

You would think that, with trauma being likely to cause that shit, that they would keep people in the hospital until they were out of the danger
zone. " for it. There has to be systems or medical protocol that help an injured limb stay out of that condition. My guess is they don't even
like doing it because it might be a crap shoot so nobody wants to PAY for it.

-Mike

All true stuff my friend. Remember the insurance companies are in charge not the doc.

If you are using a dremel for anything other than arts and crafts, you are not using the right tool. She has the balls to call out people being basement gun smiths. The whole dremel and gun mods is nothing but red neck mentality, jethro did this and didn't blow up so this is the right way to do it.

Such an awesome contribution to this thread. So are you buying her story or just having a hard time with your sarcasm?

So it is possible if this angle was negative the hammer could fall without the trigger being pulled?

https://www.northwestfirearms.com/threads/how-to-test-for-push-off-when-buying-a-used-s-w.21054/

[FONT=&amp]"Anyways, as it turns out, the one smith that I don't test for happened to have push off. Push off is a condition where when the hammer is locked back (single action), the negative engagement of the hammer and trigger allows the hammer to fall if pressed, gun is dropped, ect. This is an extremely unsafe condition, and if you have a S&W with this problem, do not use it (as in firing live ammo) until it is repaired."[/FONT]
This information relates to S&W revolvers not striker fired pistols.

Back
Top Bottom