USPSA ANNUAL AUTISM MATCH - HARVARD SPORTSMEN'S CLUB

What are the significant differences between USPSA and IDPA? I'd love to come support this event, and while I've never shot USPSA before, I've gone to a couple IDPA practices at Harvard before.

What are the significant differences between USPSA and IDPA? I'd love to come support this event, and while I've never shot USPSA before, I've gone to a couple IDPA practices at Harvard before.

USPSA is a game that thinks it's a game that may have some training value

IDPA is a game that thinks it's combat simulation that may have some training value

Both have their strong and weak points.

IDPA has some rules designed to be tacticool that are not in USPSA:

- Concealment attire / funny looking vests
- Change mags only when empty, not convenient
- No dumping of extra rounds downrange to make yout mag MT at a convenient time
- FTDR - Failure To Do Right penalty (vaguely defined)
- No shoots with hands on the target (USPSA no shoots are the white side of the target)
- A bit more orientation towards simulated combat than USPSA

In addition, USPSA is a membership based 501(c)(3) with elected representation. IDPA is not - only current IDPA board members may cast a vote in an election for new or replacement board members.

USPSA is a game that thinks it's a game that may have some training value

IDPA is a game that thinks it's combat simulation that may have some training value

Both have their strong and weak points.

- No shoots with hands on the target (USPSA no shoots are the white side of the target)

Scriv always calls the "Jazz Hands" I like that [smile]

A few other things USPSA does differently than IDPA:
- No "tactical priority", shoot targets in whatever order you please
- No requirement to shoot or reload from behind cover
- Not limited to 2 mags on your belt, stage minimum round counts can be higher (up to 32, if I recall correctly)

Thank you Freedom Gunworks Inc. Bobby has offered for the raffle a custom 2011 frame, with Nicholas' initials in the serial number. I am truly humbled by the generosity from the shooting community. Thank you, Donna Major for your efforts.

I will not be competing but I will be there to support the cause.

I did however invite a few people to come to the event from other organizations that are in line with the cause and community.

Last edited:
- No requirement to shoot or reload from behind cover
When USPSA uses cover, faulting is defined by foot faults - touch the ground outside the box an earn a penalty. The advantage of this is that it far easier to score objectively than determining if the shooter used "enough" cover, but the disadvantage is that is less realistic mall ninja training. What is best is left as an exercise for the marketplace to decide.

When USPSA uses cover, faulting is defined by foot faults - touch the ground outside the box an earn a penalty. The advantage of this is that it far easier to score objectively than determining if the shooter used "enough" cover, but the disadvantage is that is less realistic mall ninja training. What is best is left as an exercise for the marketplace to decide.

Quit knocking Mall Ninjas.

To add to Rob's comment -
Since we are all playing a game that has winners and loosers, this is one of the methods used to make the playing field as level and black & white as possible. Nothing more nothing less. The method works well. One either shoots while touching the ground beyond the shooting area or one doesn't.

Did I say I can't wait to get outside again!!!!

I havent seen anyone respond to this thread from New Hampshire...I imagine theres no issue with us joining in?

I'll need to research the laws as far as traveling into Mass with a firearm/magazines (sorry...but I do my best to avoid the state!)...but can anyone give a rough rundown? I need to get my hands on some 10-round magazines I assume?

I've never shot IDPA or USPSA before...infact Ive never shot any kind of competition but I'd love to get involved, something like this sounds like a perfect opportunity to try it out AND help out with a good cause.

Worst case if I cant bring my equipment into Mass I'd still love to come down and watch/support the cause...are there typically a good number of spectators? Or will everyone there be competing...?

I havent seen anyone respond to this thread from New Hampshire...I imagine theres no issue with us joining in?

I'll need to research the laws as far as traveling into Mass with a firearm/magazines (sorry...but I do my best to avoid the state!)...but can anyone give a rough rundown? I need to get my hands on some 10-round magazines I assume?

I've never shot IDPA or USPSA before...infact Ive never shot any kind of competition but I'd love to get involved, something like this sounds like a perfect opportunity to try it out AND help out with a good cause.

Worst case if I cant bring my equipment into Mass I'd still love to come down and watch/support the cause...are there typically a good number of spectators? Or will everyone there be competing...?

Come on down! Mags that hold over 10 rounds made after the ban are illegal to posses in MA. [sad2] Stupid, but the law.

Spectators make me sad. I always offer to let them use my stuff to give it a try. [grin] SO MUCH MORE FUN than watching.

Question for those more experienced, perhaps those who may have been in a similar position at one point:

I'm new to USPSA, having just completed the intro at Hopkinton a couple of weeks ago (thanks again guys), and I'm using what I've got for equipment as I start out, which is a completely stock DA/SA gun shooting full power factory .40 S&W ammo. My question is this: Does it make more sense, from a scoring perspective, for me to enter limited 10 instead of production so that I can take advantage of the Major power factor to offset the time I lose getting back on target due to the additional muzzle flip of the .40? From my inexperienced perspective it looks like the modifications allowed in limited 10 wouldn't really help (9mm) shooters out that much with speed relative to production, but the power factor would really help make up for my slower times.

Yes? No? Maybe? Depends?

It depends. [wink] It's one of your first matches so scoring well will take a distant third behind #1 being safe and #2 having fun. If you shoot any B's, C's, or D's your overall ranking can only be higher shooting L10 and declaring major. (Overall is unofficial but of course everyone looks at [wink]) What are your plans in the near future? Do you plan on sticking with your current gear or picking up something different? Are you planning on reloading (.40 minor is an option)? Don't over think it, flip a coin, be safe and have fun. [smile]

Question for those more experienced, perhaps those who may have been in a similar position at one point:

I'm new to USPSA, having just completed the intro at Hopkinton a couple of weeks ago (thanks again guys), and I'm using what I've got for equipment as I start out, which is a completely stock DA/SA gun shooting full power factory .40 S&W ammo. My question is this: Does it make more sense, from a scoring perspective, for me to enter limited 10 instead of production so that I can take advantage of the Major power factor to offset the time I lose getting back on target due to the additional muzzle flip of the .40? From my inexperienced perspective it looks like the modifications allowed in limited 10 wouldn't really help (9mm) shooters out that much with speed relative to production, but the power factor would really help make up for my slower times.

Yes? No? Maybe? Depends?

Shooting 40 major ammo, shoot L10. If you have minor ammo, shoot production. Don't worry about mods allowed. Worry about points. There is absolutely no positive to shooting major in the Production division.

Yes? No? Maybe? Depends?

As has been stated your #1 and #2 goals should be to be safe and have fun. Everyone wants to place well, it's a competition right?, but if you get wrapped up in trying to "compete" at your first couple of matches then the chances of getting into a DQ situation go up exponentially.

That said what division to enter? If you go Production you have to start with the hammer down so your first shot will be DA + you're shooting major PF factory ammo. If you do Lim10 then you can start cocked and locked (if your gun offers that) and you'll get major scoring. Lim10 will probably be a smaller field than Production, which means you might end up on the tail end of that field rather than possibly higher in Production. You also have more options for mag carrier placement with Lim10.

If I were in your situation I would do Limited 10 but really you can't go wrong either way as long as you keep goals 1 and 2 in mind [wink]

Any idea on the round count. Need to figure out the rationing

Last information I had was 6 full stages of 24-28 rounds. There will not be a classifier or speed shoot this month. Of course nothing is for sure until Sunday. Bring enough reserve ammo to cover yourself in case of reshoots.

Last information I had was 6 full stages of 24-28 rounds. There will not be a classifier or speed shoot this month. Of course nothing is for sure until Sunday. Bring enough reserve ammo to cover yourself in case of reshoots.

Back to the press I guess....

Back
Top Bottom