used gun on line purchases

The on line places are full of higher end-$1000- used gun 'auctions,' descriptions are usually all the same: lnib-'fired very little'-original owner, fired once-of course the sellers always have many A+ ratings but nearly all have an 'all sales final/no refunds' and no inspection period policy; in short absolutely no protection for the buyer.

Wondering: do you, would you, has anyone you 'know' gotten hosed ?

The corker so far is a dealer who states that he/she tries to remain helpful until 'threats are made' or something to that effect, can't help but to wonder just how often this person gets threatened.

The on line places are full of higher end-$1000- used gun 'auctions,' descriptions are usually all the same: lnib-'fired very little'-original owner, fired once-of course the sellers always have many A+ ratings but nearly all have an 'all sales final/no refunds' and no inspection period policy; in short absolutely no protection for the buyer.

Wondering: do you, would you, has anyone you 'know' gotten hosed ?

The corker so far is a dealer who states that he/she tries to remain helpful until 'threats are made' or something to that effect, can't help but to wonder just how often this person gets threatened.

If it smells at all fishy, walk away immediately. I would never buy a used firearm sight unseen without an inspection period built in. Places like Gunbroker will have some buyer protection built in, but it can take months to get things straightened out.

Unless it's something really exotic, try posting a WTB here or on Armslist. You'll be able to make arrangements to actually take a look at whatever you're interested in buying. Hope this helps a little.

My experiences have all been good.

You need to be an educated buyer, and know how to both evaluate the seller, and the item listing.

If the photographs don't show you everything, you need to ask for more. If details are omitted from the description, you need to ask more questions. If the seller has no track record, you'd be wise to proceed cautiously.

If the deal seems to good to be true, it probably is.

And in defense of an honorable seller, if the items is exactly as advertised then the sale should be final. Buyers remorse is not a reason for return, and if you dig deep enough you'll hear stories from seller who take something back only to find that parts have been robbed and items have gone missing.

Last edited:
i have to say my experiences w gunbroker have been overwhelmingly positive. gunbroker sellers/buyers have a score. you can look up their feedback and score. if a buyer has crappy experience via gunbroker, it's probably because they purchased from somebody with no score or possibly poor feedback.

armslist is a whole different animal.....it's no different than craigslist. for interstate purchases, i avoid armslists unless the seller is willing to meet certain criteria to ensure it's not a scam. there are endless examples of armslist sellers taking people's money (usually by paypal or checks) then just disappearing. it happens frequently.

on gunbroker, a buyer can ensure the seller is legit because they've already done like 500+ transactions w good score. YMMV, just my experience.

Appreciate the replies, the guns I am looking for have only been for sale by small 'dealers' or private individuals and yes I would be far more comfortable if the source was a large, more traditional source though I still I still maintain that it is folly to buy without an inspection period. There has to be a way to offer protection to both parties. Required escrow transaction, strict adherence to the NRA rating systems and an insurance vehicle come to mind. Until firm protections are put into place on the on line sites for me its insanity to buy a gun in any price range without being able to examine it.

Something doesnt seem right without an inspection period. Even if they required you pay return shipping if you dont accept it, an inspection period should be a part of the deal

There's always another gun. If you get a whiff of something wrong about the deal, walk. People start to get emotionally vested and ignore clear warning signs.

That said, I've had nothing but good experiences on GunBroker, although I check feedback carefully. Not every A+ rating is the same.

Inspection period?

its a gun, not a marriage.

the buyers who demand inspection periods are the same ones who twist the sellers nutsack over a 3 micron scratch or a feedramp w pubic hair sized blemish. Whatever. not worth it for the seller.

Further, if youre buying a modern pistol, any issues that arise are best handled by manufacturer not some dweeb seller on gunbroker.

anytime i list something in the classifieds i get a slew of people "interested" who want to inspect whatever i am trying to sell. These "inspector" people rarely have any clue what theyre inspecting and rather use it as a tool to try and haggle over price. Half the time such buyers dont even have the $$. **** this any self respecting person has better things on their schedule.

- - - Updated - - -

There's always another gun. If you get a whiff of something wrong about the deal, walk. People start to get emotionally vested and ignore clear warning signs.

That said, I've had nothing but good experiences on GunBroker, although I check feedback carefully. Not every A+ rating is the same.

^^this

And in defense of an honorable seller, if the items is exactly as advertised then the sale should be final.
Yes, but who is the arbiter of "is the gun exactly as advertised"? - particularly for a used gun. I know most sellers think their judgement should be final and definitive, but some buyers think the purchaser should make that call.

I've done a lot of transactions on GB buying and selling. One semi-bad experience. I always list final sale with the general philosophy that I'll do what I can to make an unhappy buyer happy but knowing that you can't make everyone happy.

My one issue was a guy who bought a 586 classic 6". I listed the SKU, a link to the product on the S&W website, and the listing had 20-30 very high res, well lit photos from my DSLR.

Buyer got the gun and hemmed and hawed that it was a post lock gun. Wanted to return it. The thing is, he figured shipping it back to me made me whole. When I pointed out that in addition to returning it at his cost, he would also need to pay me the $60 shipping cost I paid, as well as another $30 in listing and cc fees to get me to break even, he changed his mind.

squib, interesting-can we agree that a description of lnib-excellent condition-barely shot-is subjective at best?

I've done a lot of transactions on GB buying and selling. One semi-bad experience. I always list final sale with the general philosophy that I'll do what I can to make an unhappy buyer happy but knowing that you can't make everyone happy.

My one issue was a guy who bought a 586 classic 6". I listed the SKU, a link to the product on the S&W website, and the listing had 20-30 very high res, well lit photos from my DSLR.

Buyer got the gun and hemmed and hawed that it was a post lock gun. Wanted to return it. The thing is, he figured shipping it back to me made me whole. When I pointed out that in addition to returning it at his cost, he would also need to pay me the $60 shipping cost I paid, as well as another $30 in listing and cc fees to get me to break even, he changed his mind.

^^this is perfect example

there are tons of unreasonable buyers using gunbroker haggling over dumb shit. i pity many of the vendors who have to deal with that crap I wouldn't be able to survive as an online vendor.

- - - Updated - - -

squib, interesting-can we agree that a description of lnib-excellent condition-barely shot-is subjective at best?

everything is subjective.
my experiences w gunbroker have been overwhelmingly positive, but again even that is subjective. i try to keep my expectations in check. that seems to help. I'm not a saudi prince....i don't expect a pistol to be dipped in gold with flower petals at my feet.

squib, ok-so you're in a gun store and the shop has a piece you want in stock, used, and the owner would not take the time to let you see the gun-only describe it- you would buy it sight unseen-no refunds/exchanges, all sales final ? I take it if you located an old car you always wanted you similarly would purchase it based only on the current owners description?

One way sales, apparently what PT said so many years ago is true.

Back
Top Bottom