US Aiways & Firearms - BOS - PHX

MaverickNH

NES Member
Although I've seen all the generalities, I thought I'd check on recent experiences flying out of BOS on USAirways - destination Phoenix, AZ (where my NH Resident Pistol & Revolver Permit has reciprocity).

I have info from US Airways website below (I'll bring a copy as well as TSA's latest), but my main question is - I was planning on putting two handguns in a single TSA-padlock hard case inside locked hard-sided luggage. Can I carry two handguns like this? The below refers to firearms (the plural) in all but the 2nd bullet point, wherein a singular firearm is mentioned. I'm assuming I can carry two, but actual experience matters. Whomever I get on the phone when I ask is most certainly useless without any documentation.

"Firearms
US Airways will allow passengers to transport firearms in accordance with Federal Law.

•Items of shooting equipment will be accepted as checked baggage only.
•A passenger who presents checked baggage that contains a firearm must declare the weapon and sign a written acknowledgement that the firearm is unloaded.
•Firearms must be packed in a manufacturer’s hard–sided container specifically designed for the firearm, a locked hard–sided gun case, or a locked hard–sided piece of luggage. Handguns may be packed in a locked hard–sided gun case, and then packed inside an unlocked soft–sided piece of luggage. However, a Conditional Acceptance Tag must be used in this case.
•Baggage containing firearms must be locked at all times and the key or lock combination retained by the passenger.
•A Firearm Unloaded Declaration form (available only at the airport) must be signed and placed inside the bag or gun case.
•Checked ammunition may not exceed 11 lbs/5 kg per person. Ammunition must be packed in the original manufacturing package or constructed of wood, fiber, plastic, or metal and provide separation for cartridges. Ammunition may be checked in the same piece of luggage as a firearm. No additional documentation is required.
•There is no limit to the number of items contained in rifle, shotgun or pistol case, up to 50 lbs/23 kg, 62 in/157 cm in maximum.
•A passenger who presents a firearm to be checked to an international destination must be in possession of all required import documentation for their international destination city and any international transit points. It is the responsibility of the passenger to acquire the required documentation from the applicable government entity prior to travel (usually a consulate or embassy). Firearms will not be accepted for transport if international import requirements have not been met. "

Either the inner or outer case should not be TSA locked. You shouldn't''t permit key-access to the firearms by TSA employees not in your presence.

US Airways has some of the best firearm rules in the airline industry.

http://deviating.net/firearms/packing/report.html

They do have a steep fee for a checked in bag that has linear dimensions longer than 72 inches or heavier than 50 lbs, though... which is Length + Width + Height. So pack your firearms accordingly. I think they charge $150 for oversized/overweight items.

I've transported handguns a number of times while traveling for business (To go recreational shooting with clients and co-workers)

1) I have had upto 5 handguns stored in a single locked hard-cased container
i) I agree, DO NOT use a TSA lock on the hard case. Select a Non-TSA lock for the case for the handguns. Place your name and cell-phone number on the hard case with a note requesting TSA contact you if they deem they need access to the firearms.

2) I always carry ammunition in a seperate container. Original containers are prefered, but any container that minimizes movement and seperates each round is accetable. (They don't want loose rounds because this could result in an unintended primer strike)

3) I keep firearms and magazines seperate during transport, but you don't have do. It's just my way of ensuring nothing could possibly be loaded

4) You can store multiple hard-cases in a single larger suit case, but I would recommend locking the outer suit-case with a TSA lock as it's likely to get searched if it's not screened in your presence (I've been sent to TSA for private screening at a few airports)
i) If TSA does a private screening, ask them to put a TSA zip-tie on the outer case for you. This will prevent anyone else from accessing the bag.

5) For most weapons 11lbs of ammunition is A LOT.

Back
Top Bottom