US ‘smart gun’ which opens with facial recognition fails during demonstration

Found it. Too bad the OP of the original thread sucks at naming threads.

I checked the timestamps. Did it really take you almost six hours to find that thread? That's dedication! But I bet Zappa had the URL on his Rolodex.

I do appreciate that the designers of this were so out of touch to market demands that they completely eliminated the ability for it to add a red dot or change sights.

Nobody in the demo to buy a piece of shit like this is going to add or ever use either one of those things. Think "gun go bang! zomg!" libtards/teeterers with minimal gun knowledge. Only low info people would buy something like this (other than a speculator/collector).

Only low info people would buy something like this
not unless ATF will issue an executive order to prohibit sales of any firearms to civilians that are lacking this feature.
because "yes we can".

Where is the other thread with the people saying this wouldn't fail because "muh single function". [rofl]
How is this technology that cool though? Get a finger print scanner for your house if thays what they want. See how often that fails to open the first try

Nobody in the demo to buy a piece of shit like this is going to add or ever use either one of those things. Think "gun go bang! zomg!" libtards/teeterers with minimal gun knowledge. Only low info people would buy something like this (other than a speculator/collector).
they need to add that shit so they can push it to LEO's however. For them that is the ultimate validation.

This is a joke!

Face recognition!!!???

When seconds could - you are going to wait for face verification like on an iPhone!!!???

"Hold on Mr. Rapist - let me smile for my face recognition to unlock my gun so I can defend myself."

I don't know that it is fair to label the target demographic as "low info people", That's like saying the 78% of Americans who have no interest in a bicycle with derailleurs are "low info" because they are a potential market for CVTs and ebikes.

Sure, custom sights are desirable to "gun people". This is going to be marketed as a safer option for the approximately half of US households where the heads of household are not already "gun people", but could eventually come over to our side if we resist the urge for gatekeeping.

That's, uh, a disturbing thought.
It is. You should go to the other Smart Gun thread or the EV thread, it is pretty disturbing.

There are other examples such as people buying Taurus guns.

Colorado-based Biofire Tech is taking orders for a smart gun enabled by facial-recognition technology, the latest development in personalised weapons that can only be fired by verified users.
Kai Kloepfer fires a prototype of the Biofire weapon at the shooting range of the company's Colorado headquarters's Colorado headquarters
Kai Kloepfer fires a prototype of the Biofire weapon at the shooting range of the company's Colorado headquarters© Provided by The Telegraph
But in a sign of the long, challenging road that smart guns have faced, a prototype twice failed to fire when demonstrated for Reuters this week.
Kai Kloepfer, the company founder and chief executive, said the software and electronics have been fully tested, and the failure was related to the mechanical gun which was made from pre-production and prototype parts.
At other times during the demonstration the weapon fired successfully and the facial-recognition technology appeared to function.
Biofire’s gun can also be enabled by a fingerprint reader, one of several smart gun features designed to avoid accidental shootings by children, reduce suicides, protect police from gun grabs, or render lost and stolen guns useless.

Read the rest:

US ‘smart gun’ which opens with facial recognition fails during demonstration
How could something as complicated as this fail?

I checked the timestamps. Did it really take you almost six hours to find that thread? That's dedication! But I bet Zappa had the URL on his Rolodex.
It didn't. I post, go to work, then maybe post something else, then remember this thread when someone posts and bumps it ...

Looking time, maybe 5 minutes, probably less. I had to search using key words in posts.

This thread is not worth 5hrs of my time.

I’ve come to learn the manufacturer says this gun is designed for people who want a loaded unattended gun lying around. Haha. What a great use case.
To be fair - in most of America, this isn't an uncommon choice. The loaded pistol in the bedside table, or shotgun behind the kitchen door are clichés for a reason. While locks might be a better solution for safe storage in a home with "unauthorized persons," there are reasons that some folks don't choose them.

To be fair - in most of America, this isn't an uncommon choice. The loaded pistol in the bedside table, or shotgun behind the kitchen door are clichés for a reason. While locks might be a better solution for safe storage in a home with "unauthorized persons," there are reasons that some folks don't choose them.
True, people state these behaviors here. I think it’s a bad habit. I live alone and I don’t do it. Even with this “solution”, with unauthorized persons around that gun may disappear or may not be the last place you put it. At that point you better know how to grapple.

True, people state these behaviors here. I think it’s a bad habit. I live alone and I don’t do it. Even with this “solution”, with unauthorized persons around that gun may disappear or may not be the last place you put it. At that point you better know how to grapple.
I'm not talking about learning BJJ. All I'm saying is that defensive shootings often happen within arms length such that you would be unable or unwise to bring the gun up to eye level. All the training I've had has been in that case to shoot from retention, with the gun close to my strong side. In that situation, the facial recognition sensor on the rear of the gun has no line of sight to your face and thus can't work. In other words, this gun is fatally flawed from its conception. Any gun that you can't shoot from a compromised position is a range toy not a defensive tool.

I'm not talking about learning BJJ. All I'm saying is that defensive shootings often happen within arms length such that you would be unable or unwise to bring the gun up to eye level. All the training I've had has been in that case to shoot from retention, with the gun close to my strong side. In that situation, the facial recognition sensor on the rear of the gun has no line of sight to your face and thus can't work. In other words, this gun is fatally flawed from its conception. Any gun that you can't shoot from a compromised position is a range toy not a defensive tool.
Either of the sensors suffices to enable the gun to fire -- so as long as you can get your strong hand on the fingerprint sensor, the facial recognition camera isn't in play.

Still an over-engineered solution to a non-problem at an eye-watering price, but maybe all that is acceptable to their actual target market.

Either of the sensors suffices to enable the gun to fire -- so as long as you can get your strong hand on the fingerprint sensor, the facial recognition camera isn't in play.
Unless you are wearing gloves at the time...

I've never used a fingerprint sensor that worked quickly and reliably.

This is a joke!

Face recognition!!!???

When seconds could - you are going to wait for face verification like on an iPhone!!!???

"Hold on Mr. Rapist - let me smile for my face recognition to unlock my gun so I can defend myself."
Was wondering that myself. Will the facial recognition work in pitch black?

I think it also has a fingerprint recognition on it...what about you sweating after running toward/away from somebody and it is pitch black...I think the term is killed by perpetrator.

My phone does not unlock when my hand is wet.

A cool thing about the American experiment is that we're all free to have as many bad habits as we'd like.

At least, mostly...today.

Unless you are wearing gloves at the time...
Recalling that this is targeting the especially niche market of people who want it for the talismanic purpose of defense in a home where it can be left unlocked and still be trusted to be "child safe" they're probably not going to be wearing gloves and fighting from retention.

If someone breaks into their house and they can't get to the gun - they've already decided they're at the mercy of the invader.

Was wondering that myself. Will the facial recognition work in pitch black?

I think it also has a fingerprint recognition on it...what about you sweating after running toward/away from somebody and it is pitch black...I think the term is killed by perpetrator.
Their marketing blurb calls it "The smart gun uses fingerprint identification and 3D infrared facial recognition sensors that work independently; the first to be triggered will unlock...", which sounds like it's active IR illuminated and shouldn't be easily fooled by a picture of your face.

Yes, there's a fingerprint sensor. Doubtful it's any better than the one HP installs on their laptops, never succeeds with fewer than three attempts.

Back
Top Bottom