• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

upgrading fid to ltc

I am finally turning 21 in march.
I first got my fid when i was 15 and had to renew it in 2008 so it is still active until 2014.

my question is, am i stuck paying another 100 to upgrade to an ltc? or is there a way to upgrade an active permit and have the same expiration?

im fairly certain i will have to pay again, but i figured its worth a shot [smile]

welcome to NES [smile]

Unfortunately, you gotta pay. But you can always call your local PD and ask them.

Separate license; separate fee.

I kept both, with different expiration dates, until the fee quadrupled.

is there any advantage to having both?
there is a temporary chief in my town right now while they look for a new one, hopefully that doesnt change anything for me

I like to have both, with overlapping dates. Saved my butt once in 98. Might not be the same possession rules now as in 98, but I prefer to have both cards. If you do decide to keep both, make sure your police department knows where to flick the switch so you keep your current FID WITHOUT canceling it when you get a LTC.

I once went to renew my LTC, and the Lt. told me he had accidentally canceled my LTC a few years before that when he issued me an FID. So there I was walking around thinking I had a LTC, and no sign of it on the books. That was a few renewals ago. I make sure I mention it to new officers who do the paperwork now.

I like to have both, with overlapping dates. Saved my butt once in 98. Might not be the same possession rules now as in 98, but I prefer to have both cards. If you do decide to keep both, make sure your police department knows where to flick the switch so you keep your current FID WITHOUT canceling it when you get a LTC.

I once went to renew my LTC, and the Lt. told me he had accidentally canceled my LTC a few years before that when he issued me an FID. So there I was walking around thinking I had a LTC, and no sign of it on the books. That was a few renewals ago. I make sure I mention it to new officers who do the paperwork now.

Thank god nothin happened before that renewal, I couldn't even imagine trying to resolve that matter with an arresting PO if this situation were to arrise.

Licenses are NOT "accidentally canceled."

Further, there is no preclusion of one license merely because one also holds the other. You were the victim of an incompetent or intermeddling LO.

His actions could have gotten YOU in serious trouble.

Thank god nothin happened before that renewal, I couldn't even imagine trying to resolve that matter with an arresting PO if this situation were to arrise.

Licenses are NOT "accidentally canceled."

Further, there is no preclusion of one license merely because one also holds the other. You were the victim of an incompetent or intermeddling LO.

His actions could have gotten YOU in serious trouble.

I thought that myself at the time guys. And yes I recognize where the problem developed. The LEO admitted he made a mistake. We both agreed it was a darn good thing nothing had happened. I don't take things so much for granted nowadays. I'm not cynical, I'm a realist. After that time, I'd get my renewals in two or three weeks. It worked out!

Back
Top Bottom