• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

*UPDATE* Sitting here waiting for SGT.to pick up my son to take hime to MARINE

Best to him and hope for a quick recovery, regardless of that happens he is still a bad ass for even trying, most people would not, good luck to him

Sorry to hear about the injury... but... training is tough....
my friend Heather went through P.I. in the mid 90s, hurt her back, was sent home...
it was the final obstacle course thing that did her in like.. a week or two before graduation...

once she recovered she re-enlisted, went through the entire process again.....

that's one 5'4" 100lb chick *I* certainly would never F with.... :)

What about 4th? [wink]

they wear pink and look FABULOUS!!!!

Last edited:
I promise you, a trip to MRP is not the end of the world. I went to Parris Island in February of 2002. During Pugil Sticks 3 I fractured my wrist pretty bad. I got dropped from training to MRP and spent 3 months there before having a physical evaluation board done on me which resulted in a medical separation with a 10% disability rating. I went home and did physical therapy at an orthopedist in Amherst. About a year later my former recruiter managed to get a waiver pushed through for me to go back in and give bootcamp another try. This time I slipped off an obstacle one morning that was wet from dew and jacked up the same wrist. It wasn't as bad as the last time, though, but I spent another 2 months in MRP. It took a cumulative total of 15 months on Parris Island between two enlistments and two trips to MRP, but I wanted to be a Marine and I made it happen. Believe me, I know exactly what your son is going through. It's not pleasant and MRP is harder to deal with from a mental aspect than even the worst parts of being in a training platoon, but it's not the end of the world, I promise you that. If you have any questions at all about what is going on with your son, or if your son has any questions, feel free to PM me.

In bootcamp can recall praying at church sevice on Sunday monings that I would not get hurt.
Getting hurt and then dropped is the one thing every recruit fears more than the DI's.
There are pictures of two recuits on the cover of the Marine Corps Times that have each spent 16 months on PI due to MRP and such.

I send my best wishes for your son's speedy recovery.

smitty

In bootcamp can recall praying at church sevice on Sunday monings that I would not get hurt.
Getting hurt and then dropped is the one thing every recruit fears more than the DI's.
There are pictures of two recuits on the cover of the Marine Corps Times that have each spent 16 months on PI due to MRP and such.

I send my best wishes for your son's speedy recovery.

smitty
Yup, I was deathly afraid of turning an ankle during our O dark thirty PT runs. Running in formation on roads filled with potholes scared the shit out of me. I had no desire to be recycled and have to repeat any of the boot camp BS.

Injury was also my biggest fear. I spent a night at Beufort Naval Hospital for an infection in my leg. Hopefully it's something small and he'll be back in a few weeks. Better safe than sorry. If he really wants it and he gets sent home, he'll go back for more.

Mike

The people at Beaufort will take care of him - he'll probably be able to roll into another training cycle as long as it wasn't crippling.

Back
Top Bottom