• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

*UPDATE* Sitting here waiting for SGT.to pick up my son to take hime to MARINE

E-mail? In Marine Corps boot camp, I don't damn think so.
That stuff must be cool for Navy, AF, and Army bootcamp / basic training these days but it's not for us.

SC is lovely in the summer time. Parris Island in summer? Not so much.
The heat and the training will be shock at first, no matter how well prepared he is. It's meant to be.
The young lad will do fine, and soon he will be my brother. He will be a Marine and that is forever.
Many years from now when your boy is an old man and passes away there will be Marines there at his grave side to pay respects and render military honors.

The whole beauty of MCRD (AKA - Marine Corps Boot Camp) is that it is a whole other world where time moves ever so slowly. Those that left PI or the Hotel California 10, 20, or 30 years ago would be surprised at how little has changed and how much of the training they could still relate to and understand.
MCRD is still right there for the first step of the Marine Corps mission, 1) make Marines and 2) win battles.

smitty

I went to Parris Island with 140 members of Marines.TogetherWeServed.com back in April of 2008. We spent three days shadowing recruit training, eating in the chow halls, etc. I can say that the training is basically the same as I remember. The equipment is altogether different though.

We still had a hog board in 2008. I honestly thought the training could have been harder, though I had my miserable days. I would like to see the drill instructors be allowed to be a little more physical (don't get me wrong, they did get physical, but you could tell they were looking over there shoulders more than I thought they should).

Mike

I went through 3rd battalion in the summer of 1966. They got pretty physical then. I can remember the Drill Instructor getting into one recruits face and screaming "Why the f*** did you join my Marine Corps dumbass?" He answered "Because I couldn't get in the navy sir!" Dumbass got the crap beat out of him right there. He was dumbass from then on.

Typical jar head....

smitty:2345749 said:
E-mail? In Marine Corps boot camp, I don't damn think so.
That stuff must be cool for Navy, AF, and Army bootcamp / basic training these days but it's not for us.

SC is lovely in the summer time. Parris Island in summer? Not so much.
The heat and the training will be shock at first, no matter how well prepared he is. It's meant to be.
The young lad will do fine, and soon he will be my brother. He will be a Marine and that is forever.
Many years from now when your boy is an old man and passes away there will be Marines there at his grave side to pay respects and render military honors.

The whole beauty of MCRD (AKA - Marine Corps Boot Camp) is that it is a whole other world where time moves ever so slowly. Those that left PI or the Hotel California 10, 20, or 30 years ago would be surprised at how little has changed and how much of the training they could still relate to and understand.
MCRD is still right there for the first step of the Marine Corps mission, 1) make Marines and 2) win battles.

smitty

There isn't E mail in Army basic....must you all think your some rare bread of elite and special circumstances.... Now go put on your shorty shorts and be special..

RRaarrr.... there will not be no dam Email in MY marine corps!!

MudRunFinish.jpg

Good luck to your son! Good speed soldier!

Last edited:
UPDATE: we got the first letter. It's funny he mentions being held back by the more challenged kids(fat) . but other than that he sounds good. The letter read like a form letter. Like it was part of a drill. I still liked to hear from him. I am so jealous of what he is doing and what is before him.
I want to thank all of you for your advice and good words. I havn't meet many of you, but I know you think a lot like I do. Hearing from familys that have been through this is comforting.
We have moved on from "oh boy he's gone", to proud parents and planning the trip to S.carolina for graduation.
ANY ADVICE FOR OUR TRIP WOULD BE HUGE!!!!

You should post his address so we can all send him letters [rofl]

The one thing I will lend to Parris Island is it is in fact a pretty beautiful place. The way it usually works is Thursday he will have a family day kind of thing, where you go down, see his squad bay, meet the DIs, he can pretty much show you around, and Friday is the actual graduation ceremony. We were there during a hurricane so they wrapped it all up into Thursday and we really didn't get to spend any time down there.

I would go down a few days early, spend some time on Hilton Head and in Beaufort, both are beautiful. Take a crap ton of pictures. I only have a couple and wish I had more.

PBS had a documentary on the Marines I would recommend taking a look at, a lot focuses on PI. I think it's worth checking out.

Mike

Last edited:
They gave us post cards when we arrived at the Benning School for Boys Reception Battalion. You wrote your mom`s address on them and signed it.

therick04pp "There isn't E mail in Army basic....must you all think your some rare bread of elite and special circumstances.... Now go put on your shorty shorts and be special..
RRaarrr.... there will not be no dam Email in MY marine corps!!"

Whatever Army dog, PISS OFF!

smitty

EDIT:
To the OP, I am sorry for any of the commotion going on here.
You have every right to be a little nervous about you boy. That being said you should be proud of him for having the fortitude to do what others will not. The young lad will be fine, he's tougher than you may think. The parents give the DI's a good product to start with; they are proud and willing to defend America. When you see him again, wish him well for me. Your boy is just coming into the Marine Corps and it is official now that I'm leaving it now in less than a year.

Last edited:
What battalion is he in? The three battalions have different colors (1st=red, 2nd=yellow, 3rd=blue) and parents often wear clothing of that color on Graduation Day.

ochmude said:
What battalion is he in? The three battalions have different colors (1st=red, 2nd=yellow, 3rd=blue) and parents often wear clothing of that color on Graduation Day.

What about 4th? [wink]

Wow..

Apparently i'm not as impressed with yourself as you are. I have paid my dues in more ways than I need to explain to you..

I'm in Westfield, pm me when you get here..

To the op:
I apologize for that. Your son will be good to go once the initial shock wears off and he gets into the swing of things. He is already doing great things with his life. You should be proud! Takes a certain type of person to be a soldier..(any kind)...

crazymjb - "I would go down a few days early, spend some time on Hilton Head and in Beaufort, both are beautiful". THIS is so true.
You should take you a few days and make / have a mini vacation. From historic Charleston to Beautiful Beaufort by the Sea, to ritzy Hilton Head, to greatly overshadowed Savannah GA the low country is a wonderful place, tons of cool stuff in it. I spent 3.5 years on MCAS Beaufort and could have willingly spent the rest of my service, possibly the rest of my life down there in the low country.
In Beaufort, my two daughters both went to a DOD elementary school with a small fenced pond right in front of it, a small gator lived there and the fence kept him and the school kids from interacting. He'd get too big SC DNR would come and move him out and then replace him with a much smaller adolescent gator. People up north are just amazed when you tell them a story like that.

smitty

Tell him I said "He's a pussy if he doesn't go to Jump School!"[rofl][rofl][rofl][rofl]

That's cute. I mainly lurk here, but I always love it when the Army folks get uppity about things like Airborne School. If females and Chaplains can go through a school that specializes in a concept that has been successfully used only a handful of times in the history of warfare, it can't be all that tough. [wink]

To the OP: I graduated from The Island May 20th 2005. I broke my foot in 2nd phase, so I spent a month and a half longer on The Island than I should have, so I became intimately familiar with the Parris Island atmosphere. Tell your son that Boot Camp is the easiest thing he will ever do for however long he chooses to stay in the Marine Corps. I did four years in the Infantry as a Rifleman and it was the most rewarding experience I've had in 25 years of life.

Did I stutter? I said the three battalions have different colors [wink]

I met a guy last Veterans Day at Applebee's and he said all the brick barracks in 3rd battalion were closed.

Skysoldier, the only way to jump school, (at least when I was in), was to go Force Recon. Things may have changed over the last 46 years or so. I'm sure it will be pointed out if I'm wrong.

If you are a pro on kneepads you can get a jump slot, but most grunt units wont waste there time sending a few random dudes to jump school as it accomplishes nothing. Usually pogs get sent as a reenlistment incentive.

Mike

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

This is bad news indeed.

I heard of recruits recovering in the base hospital and returning to a new group.

If he needs to come home and he further recovers, I have heard stories of them taking recruits back at a later date- maybe even years.

I will pray for a speedy recovery.

Keep us posted because so many of us on NES will be thinking of him.

Log drills suck.

It's not necessarily the end of the road for him. If it's an injury that he can heal from he can get another chance.

It's not necessarily the end of the road for him. If it's an injury that he can heal from he can get another chance.

If they can rehab it he will stay in MRP until he is ready to join another cycle and continue on. We picked up a couple of guys who were in MRP for a couple of months before returning to training, they graduated, it was just a couple of months later. As long as there isn't permanent physical damage that would disqualify him and he WANTS to continue they will get him healed up and he will finish eventually.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom