• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

*UPDATE* Sitting here waiting for SGT.to pick up my son to take hime to MARINE

Good Luck. It is always harder on the parents.[wink][laugh]

I too believe this.

Write him often once you get his address. He may not have time to write back but mail call is lonely when you aren't getting any for yourself.

Please tell him how proud your family, we and you are of him.

Thank you for sharing!

Parris Island in summer? [laugh] Wish him luck for us, and to be careful, im told the sand fleas are bigger than many of the recruits [laugh]
tell him thanks for his service also tell him semper fi from a marine i was at paris island in the summer back in the 90's and yes the sand fleas really suck just wait till they make them sit on the ground and just sit there with them biting the shit out of him and if u move a muscle u will be pitted

can only imagine what its like watching your son leave, knowing he will come back a changed man. Like the many before me who posted tell him thanks from his neighbors.

I remember the day my son left 9 years ago. I think I was more nervous than he was. There was an empty feeling in the house for a long time. He's had more adventures in his 9 years service than I could ever claim in my lifetime. He still loves the Marines and will for probably another 21 years active duty.

I wish your son the very best as he trains to become one of the very best.

Congrats.

On a side note, you said he was going grunt, but may now be supply? If you think that's how things may have gone, you might want to look into that on your end. Regardless of what some people will say, being a Marine Grunt is an animal in and of itself. There is nothing wrong with not being one, but if you wanted to go grunt and get stuck in another MOS(I know some guys who this happened to), you can find yourself in as profound a situation as ending up in the wrong branch of service. If he didn't want to be a grunt, then its all good. Some guys are just eager to leave not realizing the impact it will have on their careers, or more importantly their experience. I hope it's not too late if that was the case. I'd get in touch with his recruiter and just make sure hes not gonna need your help getting in touch with congressmen if he got shafted out of being an 03.

All the best. Let him know to take in and enjoy as much as he can about PI, its a really cool place/experience.

Mike

I second what Sere said. Mail is everything. The DI's were amazed at the amount of mail my son got, but then we are a military family so we all knew the importance of it.

I'll echo the Mail Call comments. Send as much mail as you can. His letters will probably short and infrequent. There is not a lot of spare time for recruits on the Island. Snippets of home are great for morale when you are having a tough day.

Do any of you younger Marines recall if the DI's still have the recruits put together a "Hog Board"??

n1oty said:
I'll echo the Mail Call comments. Send as much mail as you can. His letters will probably short and infrequent. There is not a lot of spare time for recruits on the Island. Snippets of home are great for morale when you are having a tough day.

Do any of you younger Marines recall if the DI's still have the recruits put together a "Hog Board"??

We had one in '95, but I imagine they're gone the way of the dodo these days. [sad]

(For those following along from home, a "hog board" is a cork board in the squad bay where recruits can hang pictures that girls from back home send in. Typically the young ladies are demonstrating their particular talents for the enjoyment of said recruit.)

Last edited:
never having been in the service some of you guys have mentioned sending letters..just curious in this day and age is their no internet for emails etc? Im guessing prob not during basic training

never having been in the service some of you guys have mentioned sending letters..just curious in this day and age is their no internet for emails etc? Im guessing prob not during basic training

Nope no e-mail. If you are lucky you might get a phone call. Trust me the letters from home mean alot.

E-mail? In Marine Corps boot camp, I don't damn think so.
That stuff must be cool for Navy, AF, and Army bootcamp / basic training these days but it's not for us.

SC is lovely in the summer time. Parris Island in summer? Not so much.
The heat and the training will be shock at first, no matter how well prepared he is. It's meant to be.
The young lad will do fine, and soon he will be my brother. He will be a Marine and that is forever.
Many years from now when your boy is an old man and passes away there will be Marines there at his grave side to pay respects and render military honors.

The whole beauty of MCRD (AKA - Marine Corps Boot Camp) is that it is a whole other world where time moves ever so slowly. Those that left PI or the Hotel California 10, 20, or 30 years ago would be surprised at how little has changed and how much of the training they could still relate to and understand.
MCRD is still right there for the first step of the Marine Corps mission, 1) make Marines and 2) win battles.

smitty

Last edited:
My son was in Navy boot camp in late 2010, no email, very few phone calls.

His work party got into huge trouble when they went to the PX to buy stuff and several recruits (not my son) found the internet terminals and logged on. The whole group got hours of extra calisthenics.

Not sure about the Marines, but we got a phone call the night he arrived, then a week later a box with his civvies and a form letter that had his mailing address, expected graduation date (and how to get your passes for that) and emergency contact info.

Send letters as often as you can!

Back
Top Bottom