Upcoming Mass Gun Control hearings...

Numbers of people in attendance count more than the speakers. The committee members will use level of interest as a their gauge for determining where public interest lies. Heavy turnout runs in our favor. Few gun control supporters are a intimately vested in this issue as is the average gun owner. Apart of the usual suspects, they can't really put together a good grassroots turn out the way we should be able to.

- No, Don't

The room generally isn't well organized that way unless you recognize the faces. There is some cheering and jeering that will measure the tone of the room, but they will generally gavel that down and lecture about how it waists time for people to speak.

Yes, absolutely show up if for nothing else to learn about the process and provide moral support to our side.

You may also find yourself moved to speak. You don't have to give the Gettysburg Adress. Just speak yur mind. There is no requirement to fill 2-3 minutes, so if all you have to say is "no" then say that. Again though, you don't have to testify if you don't want. I would encourage everyone to come. The more you see these processes at work, the better you can engage later on.

You will hear arguments that will stretch your understanding of the insanity of our opposition and that is a good thing. It will force you to refine your arguments and/even change your approach.

- - - Updated - - -

The room generally isn't well organized that way unless you recognize the faces. There is some cheering and jeering that will measure the tone of the room, but they will generally gavel that down and lecture about how it waists time for people to speak.

Yes, absolutely show up if for nothing else to learn about the process and provide moral support to our side.

You may also find yourself moved to speak. You don't have to give the Gettysburg Adress. Just speak yur mind. There is no requirement to fill 2-3 minutes, so if all you have to say is "no" then say that. Again though, you don't have to testify if you don't want. I would encourage everyone to come. The more you see these processes at work, the better you can engage later on.

You will hear arguments that will stretch your understanding of the insanity of our opposition and that is a good thing. It will force you to refine your arguments and/even change your approach.

Thank you both. I plan to attend.

I was planning to attend and deliver written testimony, but was debating verbally recounting the following episode, which actaully happened to me:

I am a reloader, so cases, primers, test rounds fall on the floor. I never pay attaention, until
CO alarm goes off early morning, waking me up, realize its not a battery issue, get out side, am about to call FD, when I think "I better make sure every case, primer, etc is locked up, lest I lose my permit", so I go back into CO filled house to make sure everthing is locked up, off the floor, etc, then call the FD.

Would Acton PD pull my LTC because I left some brass cases or test rounds, or ammo around, and FD found them while searching for the CO source? Probably not. Could they? Yes they could.

Not sure if this would be helpful to relate tomorrow, but it shows that I am more afraid of accidentally violating gun laws than I am of CO!

I was planning to attend and deliver written testimony, but was debating verbally recounting the following episode, which actaully happened to me:

I am a reloader, so cases, primers, test rounds fall on the floor. I never pay attaention, until
CO alarm goes off early morning, waking me up, realize its not a battery issue, get out side, am about to call FD, when I think "I better make sure every case, primer, etc is locked up, lest I lose my permit", so I go back into CO filled house to make sure everthing is locked up, off the floor, etc, then call the FD.

Would Acton PD pull my LTC because I left some brass cases or test rounds, or ammo around, and FD found them while searching for the CO source? Probably not. Could they? Yes they could.

Not sure if this would be helpful to relate tomorrow, but it shows that I am more afraid of accidentally violating gun laws than I am of CO!
As a fine statement of the condition in which we find ourselves...

Remember that this is on the record. Anything you say can and will be used aginst you.

Relating things to your personal experience is good, but choose your words and anecdotes with care in light of the above.

Great!

Sorry for the typos and double taps being even worse than my usual... I am sending this lashed to a tree top in morse code through a 100 miles of cans and string. [laugh]

Greatly appreciate all that you are doing.

+1 What cekim said.

If you can use the story to illustrate why one or more of the specific laws being discussed puts law abiding citizens in a position where they have to choose between their own safety OR compliance with said law then I think it could be effective.(or why one of the proposed laws clarifies the law)

My only real issue with your (Great) story is that I fear the committee members will only hear "I make "extra Killy" bullets, I leave dangerous stuff lying around I don't pay attention to what I am doing" lol

Good luck!

To anyone attending tomorrow, or any FUTURE hearings, I want to make a suggestion. It seems that, based on the last one, they allow the anti gun folks to speak ad nauseum, but, when us who are against these proposals are up, it seems they adhere more strictly to the 3 minute rule. As a suggestion, I think it would be wise for many of us to keep a simple record of speakers, their times speaking, and when the moderator cuts them off. A simple stopwatch and a pad & paper are all you really need. This way, if it seems that one side, or the other, is being allowed more time, we can send this to our reps, to the committee, to all the state legislature that we want. To include the press, if so inclined to do so. I'm not saying WE need to collaborate and cross check with each other, but, from what I gather at the last hearing, they were pretty rigid with the timeframe when we spoke, not so much when the antis did. If multiple legislators get emails & phone calls regarding this, if in fact it does happen, from multiple people, we can at LEAST illustrate how skewed this is in their favor-and how much of a sham this really is. I plan on keeping record of that tomorrow, as factual as I can, as I am rather interested to see the results. I would be curious to see how it plays out at the other hearings as well. Thoughts?

I cannot attend. If I could, I would ask why, when the current gun laws in Massachusetts already take up 200 pages, they are considering more licensing restrictions, but continue to dismiss criminal charges against people who violate the existing laws. Here's a list of 49 gun charges that were dismissed in the first six months of this year in Worcester.

The current proposals will do nothing to reduce crime as the laws are not enforced. These only add more restrictions to those who willfully obey the laws.

This is the list of dismissed gun charges from the Worcester Telegram:

Article published Jul 1, 2013 Wilfredo Pagan, 29, of Lowell, charged with armed robbery (firearm), dismissed without prejudice; and assault and battery with a dangerous weapon (firearm), dismissed.

Jun 26, 2013 David Phillips, 57, of Westfield four counts of possession of a firearm without a firearm ID card were dismissed.

Jun 25, 2013 Fernando Davis, 29, 13 Marshall St., Worcester three counts of assault with a dangerous weapon and carrying a firearm with ammunition were dismissed at the request of the commonwealth.

Jun 25, 2013 Jordan Pizzaro, 18, 7 Mattson Ave., Worcester, charged with possession of a firearm without a firearm ID card, dismissed.

June 21, 2013 Jerome Lee, 30, of 23 Edgeworth St., Worcester A charge of carrying a firearm with ammunition was dismissed.

June 21, 2013 Jector Torres, 24, of 39 Fox St., Worcester Two counts of firearm violation with three prior violent or drug crimes were dismissed.

June 10, 2013 Michael J. Cali, 29, 2080 West St., Barre, charged with assault with dangerous weapon (firearm), dismissed.

Jun 7, 2013 Jose L. Ortiz, 28, of 8 Boylston St., Worcester A charge of carrying a firearm with ammunition was dismissed.

Jun 5, 2013 Pedro Luis Gomez, 21, of 47 Mendon St., Worcester A charge of carrying a firearm with ammunition was dismissed.

May 23, 2013 Paul R. Hakkarainen, 35, 159 Baker St., Gardner possession of a firearm without a firearm ID card were dismissed.

May 23, 2013 Dammon Bonner, 27, 180 Fairway Ave., Worcester A charge of firearm violation with two prior violent or drug crimes was dismissed.

May 22, 2013 Kendra Erickson, 37, of 159 Baker St., Gardner possession of a firearm without a firearm ID card. The charges were dismissed at the request of the commonwealth.

May 22, 2013 Juan Roman-Rivera, 34, of 39 Benefit St., Worcester assault with a dangerous weapon (firearm) and threatening to commit a crime (assault and battery with a dangerous weapon), dismissed.

May 22, 2013 Daniel G. Grenon, 25, 94 N. Main St., Webster firearm possession without FID card, dismissed by request of the state.

May 16, 2013 Shawn Fleury, 36, 3 Clement St., Worcester Four counts of firearm violation with one prior violent or drug crime were dismissed.

May 8, 2013 Anthony Concepcion, 34, of 3 Wachusett St., Worcester A charge of possession of a firearm without a firearm ID card was dismissed.

Apr 17, 2013 Gerard Tyrone Day Jr., 20, of 173 Eastern Ave., Worcester Charges of armed assault with intent to murder (firearm) and firearm violation with one prior violent or drug crime were dismissed at the request of the commonwealth.

Apr 5, 2013 Cody Dinoi, 21, of 6 Princeton St., Worcester, A charge of possession of a firearm without a firearm ID card was dismissed.

March 22, 2013 Lloyd Dey, 19, of 45 Grand St., Worcester A charge of possession of a firearm without a Firearm ID Card was dismissed.

Mar 11, 2013 Sirano Harrison, 39, of Springfield Charges of possession of a firearm with a defaced serial number and two counts of firearm violation with two prior violent or drug crimes were dismissed.

Feb 26, 2013 Michael Cole, 23, of 59 Iroquois St., Worcester Charges of carrying a firearm with ammunition, carrying a firearm without a license, possession of a firearm without a firearm identification card, possession of a firearm with a defaced serial number, carrying a dangerous weapon (firearm), possession of marijuana with intent to distribute and resisting arrest were dismissed.

February 21, 2013 Jesse Sargent, 27, 10 Randall St., Worcester two counts of possession of a firearm without a firearm ID card were dismissed.

Jan 4, 2013 Jamala Nelson, 21, of 107 Sterling St., Worcester Charges of possession of a sawed-off shotgun, carrying a firearm with ammunition and defacing the serial number on a firearm were dismissed.

Jan 4, 2013 Michael Gustafson, 22, of 18 Rena St., Worcester Charges of possession of a sawed-off shotgun, carrying a firearm with ammunition and defacing the serial number on a firearm were dismissed.

IMO, it would be worth mentioning that a number of the provisions in these bills have ex post facto aspects. Patrick's bill bans currently owned, pre-ban hi-caps. Creem's bill bans large capacity rifles by striking that from the LTC wording. Linsky's bill forces a large capacity rifle owner to remove his or her own property from their legal residence and places additional requirements on ownership (insurance).

I cannot attend. If I could, I would ask why, when the current gun laws in Massachusetts already take up 200 pages, they are considering more licensing restrictions, but continue to dismiss criminal charges against people who violate the existing laws. Here's a list of 49 gun charges that were dismissed in the first six months of this year in Worcester.

The current proposals will do nothing to reduce crime as the laws are not enforced. These only add more restrictions to those who willfully obey the laws.

This is the list of dismissed gun charges from the Worcester Telegram:

I will be using this tomorrow. Hope you don't mind!

Sent from my GT-P6210 using Tapatalk 2

So, I'm planning on attending at least one of these hearings, but I need to make a decision.

Let's say someone who works for a living could only take one day off to attend and had to choose one hearing to go to. Would it be better to attend one of the earlier college hearings, or is the "climactic" hearing at the State House the ideal choice?

IMO, it would be worth mentioning that a number of the provisions in these bills have ex post facto aspects. Patrick's bill bans currently owned, pre-ban hi-caps. Creem's bill bans large capacity rifles by striking that from the LTC wording. Linsky's bill forces a large capacity rifle owner to remove his or her own property from their legal residence and places additional requirements on ownership (insurance).

Something to this effect is the essence of my testimony. The fact is that this law makes criminals of lawful gun owners, disarms them, and renders illegal or unusable most currently available firearms.

I'll be there. I really wish we did have T-shirts or something made up, so that we'd look to be a more unified front. I do have a GOAL t-shirt I suppose I'll wear.

I don't have anything prepared to say, but if it gets to the end and there's still time for more speakers, I'll find something.

Kids are sick this morning - of course. Coming out both ends - too much fun in the sun this weekend, or not enough water, or they got something on the trip to Jericho.

I'm not giving up - now planning on the Springfield meeting.

I cannot make it today. Family commitments but I do plan on going to at least one of the over venues. If you cannot make it today write letters AND call. You know he antis are.

Posting here for your daily LOL

I'm sitting in cruiser and a woman pulls up and asks me how to get to Assumption for hearings. Her friend shortly joins her.
I play dumb and ask what's going on... and they say its for gun control.
Me: To make gun laws better or worse?
Them: Depends on what you believe in
Me: Oh
Them: We're for tightening laws and better background checks to make you SAFER (LOLOLO)
Me: I'm pretty safe already. I have a gun. Too bad I can't make it
Them: Yes. It would be awesome to have a police officer help our cause
Me: I think you've got me confused for one of your supporters. I support getting rid of most of our draconian gun laws

Them:
TomsMindBlown.gif

Me: Most cops I know are like ME

Last edited by a moderator:
Posting here for your daily LOL

I'm sitting in cruiser and a woman pulls up and asks me how to get to Assumption for hearings. Her friend shortly joins her.
I play dumb and ask what's going on... and they say its for gun control.
Me: To make gun laws better or worse?
Them: Depends on what you believe in
Me: Oh
Them: We're for tightening laws and better background checks to make you SAFER (LOLOLO)
Me: I'm pretty safe already. I have a gun. Too bad I can't make it
Them: Yes. It would be awesome to have a police officer help our cause
Me: I think you've got me confused for one of your supporters. I support getting rid of most of our draconian gun laws
Them: [MIND BLOWN]
Me: Most cops I know are like ME
Nicely done... [laugh]

Last edited:
.....Me: Most cops I know are like ME

Our "hearings" (in reality they weren't hearing anything) in CT were at our state capital office building in Hartford. The capital cops I talked to were against all the anti-gun crap. In the end all the pro-gun people (tons of us) and "hearings" didn't mean a lick.

Many of us (not me) thought things were going to go our way. In the end the legislature rammed a bunch of crap down our throats.

I hope y'all have better luck in MA. Hopefully you have TONS of local and state cops publically objecting to your legislation. However, after watching the post bombing "shelter in place" marshall law crap I am worried for MA gun owners.

Perhaps you can learn from our situation and do some things better.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom