Unlicensed Spouse and Access to Firearms

The second he gives her access.. he has committed a storage violation. However, if she "somehow" gained access to the gun to save her life, she and he would most likely be OK legally... but at that point who would really care.

i assume you mean as soon as he gives her access and then leaves the house?

So . . . if I lock a gun in my car's trunk, and give the key's to my wife, that's a storage violation? (my wife has an LTC, but as a hypothetical).

This state is... frustrating...

Put trigger locks on the pistols (in the safe) and leave a loaded shotgun for the kid.

Not a bad idea, but my shotgun is too long for my wife. (SO I have to leave a pistol open too.) She'll fail with it in a stressful situation. Aside from the fact my guns are locked up as it is, I don't want a trigger lock too.

God I can't stand this state, and the fact you will go to prison here for simply surviving an attempt on your life.

I would not only want everyone who is going to use the gun licensed, but also trained beyond a basic safety course. If your wife really has no interest in guns and no training it may not really be very helpful for her to have access to the guns since she doesn't know how to use them.

I would not only want everyone who is going to use the gun licensed, but also trained beyond a basic safety course. If your wife really has no interest in guns and no training it may not really be very helpful for her to have access to the guns since she doesn't know how to use them.

In my opinion, a modern striker based handgun doesn't require much training to be able to use in close quarters. My wife took a basic safety course when I took it to get my LTC, and then I took her to the range with me a few times. It's pretty basic, pop the magazine in, pull the slide back, aim in the general direction of the threat and pull the trigger. If an attacker is in the same room as you are, you don't need to have great aim to hit them.

Just to throw another curve ball, the prosecution will have a difficult time proving that licensed spouse gave unlicensed spouse access. One spouse cannot be forced to testify against the other in a storage violation case.

Unfortunately, licensed spouse probably confessed.

In my opinion, a modern striker based handgun doesn't require much training to be able to use in close quarters. My wife took a basic safety course when I took it to get my LTC, and then I took her to the range with me a few times. It's pretty basic, pop the magazine in, pull the slide back, aim in the general direction of the threat and pull the trigger. If an attacker is in the same room as you are, you don't need to have great aim to hit them.

Although theoretically what you stated sounds good, please explain why in self-defense situations (hold-ups, etc.) if the clerk shoots at the perp they frequently miss. Also how do you explain the Diallo case where cops wrongfully shot this poor man, fired 41 bullets and only 19 struck him in close quarters. [I thought the number of shots was higher, but this is what Wikipedia states and I'm not going to waste my time searching further.]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shooting_of_Amadou_Diallo

Reality seems not to track logic here.

Just to throw another curve ball, the prosecution will have a difficult time proving that licensed spouse gave unlicensed spouse access. One spouse cannot be forced to testify against the other in a storage violation case.

Unfortunately, licensed spouse probably confessed.

The police aren't going to tell you that and the Reid Interviewing and Interrogation Techniques course is very effective. Having taken it many years ago and watched a veteran officer volunteer to be interrogated, I'm convinced that the "interviewer" (Sgt. Bill Brooks, Norwood PD - I found my class notes, pretty sure it's the same guy that is now Chief) could have convinced the volunteer officer to confess to murdering his mother while his mother was standing beside him!! Very effective indeed. I took that class back in 1980 and am still very impressed by how difficult it is to avoid sounding guilty even if you are innocent!

In my opinion, a modern striker based handgun doesn't require much training to be able to use in close quarters. It's pretty basic, pop the magazine in, pull the slide back, aim in the general direction of the threat and pull the trigger.

isn't a DA/SA handgun the same? They're really only complicated if you leave it decocked with safety on.

The police aren't going to tell you that and the Reid Interviewing and Interrogation Techniques course is very effective. Having taken it many years ago and watched a veteran officer volunteer to be interrogated, I'm convinced that the "interviewer" (Sgt. Bill Brooks, Norwood PD - I found my class notes, pretty sure it's the same guy that is now Chief) could have convinced the volunteer officer to confess to murdering his mother while his mother was standing beside him!! Very effective indeed. I took that class back in 1980 and am still very impressed by how difficult it is to avoid sounding guilty even if you are innocent!

that's just scary, hopefully i never have to be interrogated. i was under the impression my wife was covered in the home guess shes getting her ltc ASAP.

that's just scary, hopefully i never have to be interrogated. i was under the impression my wife was covered in the home guess shes getting her ltc ASAP.
Best response if the police are asking you about *anything* is to STFU and only ask for a lawyer. Nobody ever talked themselves into less trouble.

Although theoretically what you stated sounds good, please explain why in self-defense situations (hold-ups, etc.) if the clerk shoots at the perp they frequently miss. Also how do you explain the Diallo case where cops wrongfully shot this poor man, fired 41 bullets and only 19 struck him in close quarters. [I thought the number of shots was higher, but this is what Wikipedia states and I'm not going to waste my time searching further.]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shooting_of_Amadou_Diallo

Reality seems not to track logic here.

When people freak out, their motor control goes on the fritz. That is something that boils down to individuals and how they react to stress/fear. I don't think it matters that much though for a typical self defense scenario. Most of the time in a home defense scenario, you don't need to hit the attacker to get them to leave.

- - - Updated - - -

Best response if the police are asking you about *anything* is to STFU and only ask for a lawyer. Nobody ever talked themselves into less trouble.

"I'd be happy to talk to you with my lawyer present"

Back
Top Bottom