Understanding optics for firearms.

Is there a good web site out there that explains all of the varieties of scopes, red dot sights, etc for firearms? I have a good understanding of optics from photography but I'd like to know about what type of scope is appropriate for a given application.

Also, an overview of the various brands that are out there would be good. Obviously Zeiss, Nikon and Leupold make good scopes but there's a lot of brands I had never heard of before getting into guns.

Thanks.

I know there's an optics forum at THR and at least used to be one at Warrifles. I think the primary thought you should have is purpose. If we're talking an AR-15 or a long range target set up, obviously your needs will be very different. There's plenty of practical out there, coupled with the insane. I've seen everything from red dots on long range rifles, to 50mm scopes improperly mounted on an AR-15 M4 - to each his own I suppose. There's elitists who insist that a Leupold, IOR or Schmidt-Bender is the only worthwhile scope to put on a rifle, but there's also people who have found happy ground in the middle and even low end...Define your purpose, set your optical requirement to fit that purpose, then define your budget.

I know there's an optics forum at THR and at least used to be one at Warrifles. I think the primary thought you should have is purpose. If we're talking an AR-15 or a long range target set up, obviously your needs will be very different. There's plenty of practical out there, coupled with the insane. I've seen everything from red dots on long range rifles, to 50mm scopes improperly mounted on an AR-15 M4 - to each his own I suppose. There's elitists who insist that a Leupold, IOR or Schmidt-Bender is the only worthwhile scope to put on a rifle, but there's also people who have found happy ground in the middle and even low end...Define your purpose, set your optical requirement to fit that purpose, then define your budget.

Yeah, I do need to figure out my purpose. It's for the new M&P15FT and, realistically, it will be for range use between 25 and 200yds. I may just buy an Eotech but I'd also like to understand what the other options are.

I hear what you're saying about high end optics. I've spent plenty on Nikon and Mamiya camera lenses. However, there are times when good enough is good enough.

I'll check out those forums. Thanks Mark and Matt.

Yeah, I do need to figure out my purpose. It's for the new M&P15FT and, realistically, it will be for range use between 25 and 200yds. I may just buy an Eotech but I'd also like to understand what the other options are.

I hear what you're saying about high end optics. I've spent plenty on Nikon and Mamiya camera lenses. However, there are times when good enough is good enough.

I'll check out those forums. Thanks Mark and Matt.

If you want to look into a short to medium range optic that won't break the bank and is gaining a solid rep, look into a Millet DMS. All the benefits of a red dot with the 1-4x magnification to boot. Toss it in a LaRue throwlever and you'll be GTG. It's ultimately going on my SOCOM-16/Troy MCS and the Tripower will find a home on my NES AR

If you want to look into a short to medium range optic that won't break the bank and is gaining a solid rep, look into a Millet DMS. All the benefits of a red dot with the 1-4x magnification to boot. Toss it in a LaRue throwlever and you'll be GTG. It's ultimately going on my SOCOM-16/Troy MCS and the Tripower will find a home on my NES AR

Thanks Mark. I looked around and the DMS gets very good reviews considering the price. I think that will be the one. If I decide I want something better later on, I can always put it on my Marlin 60.

I think I'll need eventually a lower-end red-dot for my AR, but am not sure whats good. Eotech seems to be the staple but is too much for my blood. Trijicon had a red-dot for a lot less, but I haven't heard anything regarding their red-dot. Any opinions?

I think I'll need eventually a lower-end red-dot for my AR, but am not sure whats good. Eotech seems to be the staple but is too much for my blood. Trijicon had a red-dot for a lot less, but I haven't heard anything regarding their red-dot. Any opinions?

The only red dot I'm aware of from Trijicon that's less than an Eotech is the Reflex, which has some limitations. Street price on the Tripower is over $600.00, though a couple of years ago I paid $475.00 for my Tripower. Do a little search before you buy an Eotech. They are nice units, but may be suffering QC issues as the result of high demand. It appears SOCOM recalled all Eotech units from service due to failures....

PaulD - The DMS will one day find a spot on my SOCOM-16 - it seems to be a solid and well-backed unit - especially for the dough. I'm hoping to get one before Millet follows suit and prices it into the stratosphere... [wink]

The next version of the EOtech (side mount buttons) have been slow to be released. Word from a distributer is that the company did an overhaul of the manufacturing to deal with the QA issues before any new stuff was allowed to begin.

No idea if it is true or not, but I have one of these new versions on order, so I'll let you all know when it finally arrives. (BTW, I'm paying $549 for the new EOtech and the Tripower from the same distributor is $607.)

My only issue with the Tripower is the same as the Aimpoint and most 'tube' type 0x sights. It's the lack of a field of view in the sight. I don't mind that so much with a powered scope, but with irons, you get a great field of view and I really want something similar with an optic if I can.

The only red dot I'm aware of from Trijicon that's less than an Eotech is the Reflex, which has some limitations. Street price on the Tripower is over $600.00, though a couple of years ago I paid $475.00 for my Tripower. Do a little search before you buy an Eotech. They are nice units, but may be suffering QC issues as the result of high demand. It appears SOCOM recalled all Eotech units from service due to failures....

I believe the recall is only for the 553 model, something about shutting off due to recoil.

What limitations does the Reflex have?

It's powered by available light....I had one years ago and loved it, but no batteries has it's drawbacks and in super bright light, the reticle can tend to disappear suddenly. It's a super sight - as long as you understand it's limitations and work within them...

Mark, any recommendations for mounting rings for the DMS?

Paul - there is only one mount I would use to mount your DMS and it's not cheap. In fact, it's expensive, but worth every nickel - will cost as much as the scope. I would give Mark LaRue a call and get yourself a LaRue Tactical SPR M4 QD LT-104. It's simply the best mount going...I love my LT-150 for my Tripower - it's simply superb...

http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetactical/Detail.bok?no=30

Back
Top Bottom