• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Unauthorized transfer of firearms from State Police Armory?

Does anyone remember years ago when some firearms went missing from the Boston police lock up?

They may have been selling some of the old full auto '67-72' Ar's.
These are worth BIG bucks.
Just a thought.and some police amories still have them.
ggboy

they are suspended without pay because there are missing guns. probably a lot of missing guns. also in the probably category is that we probably won't ever hear more about it.
My guess is that the firearms in question are the hundreds of M14 and M16A1 rifles that the staties received from the Army about a dozen or so years ago. These weapons are still considered to be machine guns by the BATFE, even though Army armorers converted them to semi-auto only before distributing them to police departments nationwide. All they paid for was the shipping. The weapons were obtained for no charge.

"An investigation that led to the recent suspension of three state troopers involves allegations that they sold several hundred used State Police guns to a Greenfield firearms dealer on behalf of the department, then received more than a dozen of those weapons, free of charge, for their personal use, according to two people familiar with the probe."
http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/20...ws-scrutiny/i8fMR4Rxbu6VSJz6yyYAyN/story.html

"An investigation that led to the recent suspension of three state troopers involves allegations that they sold several hundred used State Police guns to a Greenfield firearms dealer on behalf of the department, then received more than a dozen of those weapons, free of charge, for their personal use, according to two people familiar with the probe."
http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/20...ws-scrutiny/i8fMR4Rxbu6VSJz6yyYAyN/story.html

i'm sure they'll find some way to spin it off on the dealer. like the dealer somehow convinced them to illegally transfer the firearms, so it's all the dealer's fault. nothing to see here. move along folks.

we those full auto MGs? If yes, a dozen of them would be worth a whole lot. Nice score comrades polizeis!

Meh.
Article makes me want to side with the cops.
Makes it look like "this is the way we've always done it, what's the problem? oh, so these guys got a couple old guns, big deal" Probably from an ethics standpoint yea ok that's bad....doesn't seem like the crime of the century though...not like that other story where the evidence room was raided for everything for years n years.
What am I missing?

If they got free pistols from the dealer that's a kick back and they should be prosecuted. The dealer must be getting a good (below market) price or he wouldn't give back pistols free.

If they got free pistols from the dealer that's a kick back and they should be prosecuted. The dealer must be getting a good (below market) price or he wouldn't give back pistols free.

How much of a break do you need to get on 'several hundred' firearms before you can throw a few pistols back?

Interesting that the article seems to gloss over the real issue, that the officers received numerous gifts from the vendor.

Sure, trading in the old guns is a good thing, and at most it looks like they messed up on the procedure, maybe they should have gotten multiple bids. But the real issue is the "more than a dozen" guns the officers received as gifts. It's not even that it's guns, its taking gifts, and from a vendor that has a history of doing this.

Meh.
Article makes me want to side with the cops.
Makes it look like "this is the way we've always done it, what's the problem? oh, so these guys got a couple old guns, big deal" Probably from an ethics standpoint yea ok that's bad....doesn't seem like the crime of the century though...not like that other story where the evidence room was raided for everything for years n years.
What am I missing?

You are missing the kickback.

The dealer giving them some of the guns for their personal use is a bribe -- that is no different than stealing the guns directly from the armory.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jurek Brothers was at the center of a fraud investigation for allegedly giving personal benefits, including a trip to Florida and hundreds of dollars worth of Omaha Steaks, to a lieutenant who served as the Department of Correction’s purchasing agent.

Sounds like things along these lines have been going on for years. Now, if you were a reasonable person trying to prevent fraud and bribery in the folks working for the state, wouldn't you want to avoid doing business with a company that had been investigated before? Just to avoid any "appearance of impropriety"? How much do you want to bet that Jurek brothers gets a lot of those special "no bid" contracts. The departments involved just say "hey, we need X number of X firearms. Send a PO over to Billy-Bob and tell him not to forget my scotch this Christmas."

If the officers allegedly involved did, in fact, receive firearms from the dealer in exchange for fascilitating the sale, would they not be guilty of receiving
an unlawful gift or gratuity if it is: (a) of substantial value and (b) offered for or because of an official act or an act under the employee's official responsibility.
The term "official act" is defined in the conflict of interest law as "any decision or action in a particular matter or in the enactment of legislation." Official acts would include, for example, voting on a matter before a governmental body, preparing a Request For Proposals or RFP for a public agency, serving on a hiring committee or making a policy recommendation to one's supervisor.
? Link

I'm sure the officers involved are all fine, upstanding members of our community, though. No wrong-doing at all.

It's more along the lines of a kick back. State employees are forbidden to accept more than $50.00/year from a vendor or potential vendor. That amount is intended to cover things such as if a salesman brings in coffee for the purchasing agent.

I would also expect that the state has a property office that is in charge of disposing of surplus property. Maybe that's done by department, maybe it's done by one agency. I know that in Boston, all of our vehicles were transferred to the Transportation Department for disposal unless they were being traded in for new vehicles.

The dealer giving them some of the guns for their personal use is a bribe -- that is no different than stealing the guns directly from the armory.

Yes, it is a kickback. A kickback is another way of stealing from your employer. You are letting the vendor give your employer a worse deal, provided that they kick back some of the cash to you under the table. It is effectively stealing from your employer and is illegal.

It is amazing that this must be explained to people.

Jurek Bros has the contracts for Mass sewed up. They have the Ammo Contract. Certain brands of Firearms go through them. So the if the Trade In is for the brand that they cover then they take in the trade in. Due to the way the bidding process is set up by the state Jurek Bros. is where the trade ins go.
They could be suspended by the state from bidding or submitting proposals.
Appears as though they've done this before so I would not be surprised if the state does just that.

- - - Updated - - -

Does anyone remember years ago when some firearms went missing from the Boston police lock up?
I have no idea what you are talking about.

... I'll keep an open mind either way until there is real evidence.

"... then received more than a dozen of those weapons, free of charge, for their personal use ..."
If this part be true, then by all means throw the book at them for corruption (kickbacks).

The rest of it still sounds like retroactive rule changes, and maybe paperwork mistakes. It appears the vendor had a contract to exchange trade-ins for new guns already. One might wonder who complained, another vendor, or someone in the office who didn't get their piece of the kickbacks.

The state could but won't.

In the end, folks will find that those guys had no control of who received the contract. But that does not make good news.

It's also irrelevant, public employees aren't allowed to accept gifts of over $50.

If they got free pistols from the dealer that's a kick back and they should be prosecuted

If that were the case, the FFL can start looking for a new line of work after the charges are filed against them. If they did accept the firearms as a return for doing business with one vendor improperly or even properly, they are idiots who are out of a job.

I never will understand why some people will mess up their lives like that. Those guys had well paying jobs with a killer pension, and they have likely thrown it all away. For what? A few extra bucks?

I don't know - maybe something else is going on.

A friend of mine - who works as a prison guard - when I told him recently that I was selling off some of my stuff told me that he knows tons of guys - all LEO - who are looking to buy stuff. Probably coincidence - but still seems a coincidentally odd IMHO.

Back
Top Bottom