• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ultrasonic GUN Cleaning - A Simple Cleaning Solution

I've cleaned probably a few thousand firearms using a Crest 2.5 gallon ultrasonic. I'm not sure about those other bootleg cleaners like Harbor Freight or whatever, but I promise, this is the absolute best possible option for cleaning firearms.

Based on my experience, the following is the best possible use of an ultrasonic cleaner.

Step 1: PRE HEAT THE WATER AND OIL. Disassemble your firearm and place the parts in the basket.

Step 2. Dunk everything and run it at at about 50% heat for 15 minutes. Not sure what the temp is, but about half way on the dial.

Step 3. Take everything out to dry. If small, non-critical parts, such as screws, appear clean, set them aside.
*IMPORTANT* Because the water is very hot, the parts will be as well. For this reason, they'll most likely dry quickly. Dont sweat it if intricate parts are still wet.

Step 4. Clean parts with a nylon brush. Any carbon deposits/powder residue/gelled lube that didnt come off in the tank should come off freely. Treat any rust as you typically would with a phosphore bronze brush and/or steel wool.

Step 4. Assuming you're satisfied with your scrubbing, repeat the dunk for another 10 minutes, then dry. If not, repeat steps 2 and 3 until you are.

Step 5. I'm not sure what's available for other ultrasonics, but Crest makes an oil pan that sits in the water and allows you to vibrate your parts in oil. It's the most essential part of the process. Vibrate your stuff for about 10-15 minutes depending on the intricacy of the parts.

Step 6. Wipe the oil off with a rag.

That's about it. I cannot stress how satisfied you will be with the thoroughness of this process.

A few notes though...

I used *about* 1 part simple green to 3 parts water. Dont stress the mix too much.

I ran the water until it was the color of chocolate milk and it still worked fine. The cleaning solution helps, but the job is really being done by the vibration.

The machines are loud and extremely wife-unfriendly.

Be concious of the finish on the items you're running. I've had a black oxide AR carry handle turn white because the temp was too high. I've also had shitty bluing come off for the same reason. You shouldn't be afraid to use the cleaner, just be aware.

ALWAYS REMEMBER TO PRE-HEAT THE WATER AND OIL.

None of this is an exact science. Temp, time, cleaner mix is really all just preference that you'll acquire over time.

With the harbor freight model the gear is either on or off...no adjustment...the harbor freight one also doesn’t vibrate only ultrasonic sound waves...so does this pan float on the water and the oil sits in the pan with the parts and the unit vibrates the pan around while it floats on top of the water?

I usually just run hot water from the tap into a small bucket...pour in simple green and and pour the hot water in there...heavy on the simple green if what I’m cleaning is really dirty...pull the carb bowl and toss all of it into the cleaner, turn on the heat and run as many cycles till it looks clean/new or I need to change the solution cause it’s dirty...then pull all the parts out and rinse in clean cold water and then put the parts in a dry clean bucket (so they don’t blow away) and dry with a hair dryer and roll them around to be sure they dry...the only thing I’ll change about my process doing guns is simple green hd and after the drying is do a lubing...not sure I want to dunk/spray the parts in a wd40 bath and have to wipe them down...maybe wipe them down with a rag with wd40 on it then wipe clean and lube...not sure yet

Any harm to the recoil springs with this type of cleaning?

Last edited:
Hello everyone,

I noticed this article doing some google searching. We invented ultrasonic gun cleaning so if you guys have any questions at all please visit our website and contact us with any questions! We are more than happy to help any fellow shooter. Ultrasonic cleaners are the best way to clean firearms in a timely and effective manner. To do this you need to have the right specifications, accessories and solutions in order to assure safe firearm cleaning with no finish removal, corrosion or damage to the internals. If you are interested in a system, name drop the NorthEast Shooters forum and we will extend you a discount or if you just have questions please call or email us! Website below.

Http://infanteultrasonics.com

Back
Top Bottom