Uberti 1873 lever action in .45 Colt (LC), Thoughts?

What about a “real” rifle from the period. I’ve got two pre-99 firearms, there’s something cool about having the real thing imo. Looking on cabelas site ubertis aren’t that far off some old Winchester’s.

I have a couple of their revolvers + short rifle in 44-40. While I do have original pre 99 Winchesters + Colts, I never feel bad about going out and shooting the Ubertis. They are good guns. Only complaint is the screws they use are very soft. Just plan on buying a hardened screw kit and replace them. Otherwise great quality.

I have a 73 in 357 and it’s probably my favorite gun. My Marlin 1894C is right up there too.
One of my next purchases will be a 73 in 45 colt.
Or a Marlin in 45 colt if I find and old one
You will love it. The fit and finish on the Uberti is amazing

Question is what are you doing with it. Karl from InRange typically says that for competition and every day use, go with a repro. For a collectible, go with an original. InRange does a lot of testing of lever actions and Karl used to be a cowboy action competitor, so they would be someone to reach out to or just watch their videos.

I have a 16" barreled, Marlin in 45Colt. It's a great round, that can be loaded hotter than 44 magnum. I dropped a deer, in her tracks, with a hot 45, colt load.

Do you reload?45 colt is pricey

Question is what are you doing with it. Karl from InRange typically says that for competition and every day use, go with a repro. For a collectible, go with an original. InRange does a lot of testing of lever actions and Karl used to be a cowboy action competitor, so they would be someone to reach out to or just watch their videos.
I have been reloading for over 35 years, .45 Colt isn't new to me, and the gun will, be used for mostly range time.

Have you considered a model 92 in .44 magnum. It's smaller, lighter stronger and can also fire .44 special. I read that someone was making a 73 in .44 magnum but it must have been a misprint. I can't imagine the toggle link action of a 73 being able to contain the pressure of the .44 magnum. The 73 is a beautiful rifle but a weak design. If you get one in .45 Colt don't load above standard pressure loads and never shoot Buffalo Bore or any other high performance loads.

I have been thinking about getting a Uberti 1873, in .45 colt, I already have a Henry in .357, thinking of something different. Anyone that has one feel free to offer advice.

I don't have one, but three or four times a year I find myself looking at their website and dreaming about one. I love the models with case hardened receivers. But it seems like there is always something else on the "must have" list that gets ahead of it.
But I just know there will come a day when I see one in my LGS and I will leave with it. The only time I ever came across one was at the Holbrook sportsman show and the guy wanted $150 over msrp for it.

Had one. Cool gun. I had the full rifle with the octagooooonal bbl. If you missed a bear charging you you could flip it around and Mark McGuire the thing with the stock into the next county. Lots of mass.

It's an interesting design and easy to take down. A 92 would be lighter and has better lock-up for higher pressure.

i owned an uberti 1873 lever in 357 mag. incredible built quality. truly top notch. i sold it here on NES last year because i just wasn't shooting the thing. if you're looking for a lever gun as more of an heirloom or pride-of-ownership then just buy the uberti...you'll be happy with it.

while i won't set foot in KTP, they do keep uberti lever guns in store. one can examine them there. overall QC on these rifles is quite good. i purchased mine online and it was an immaculate build. as opposed to current typical production firearms, i wouldn't be afraid to purchase one of these online. seriously though if you're pondering the Uberti then it's probably for you.

are you reloading 45LC? if not i wouldn't bother going there. i would just get it in 357 mag as will be cheaper to shoot and far better ballistics due to the magnum loading in a rifle length barrel. for a model 1873, 45LC is not historically more accurate than any other modern handgun cartridge. they're all historically "wrong" so might as well go with cheapest/best.

I have recently fallen back in love with the lever actions, I have owned a lot over the past 40 years, and have always ended up selling or trading them, just looking to shoot light loads out of them for fun, have a few recipes for the 45 colt in mind. I have owned more Marlin's than Winchesters, but like them all, just have it in my mind to get 1873 model Uberti, call it a bucket list item if you will. Thanks for all the info so far, it may be a couple of months before I get one, I am on the south shore, so if any one sees one in a shop not to far away let me know. Would like to handle and examine one first.

I don't have the uberti, but I purchased a new Winchester (made in japan by miroku) 1873 in .45lc and it's beautiful. I prefer the satin walnut on the miroku guns to the very glossy finish reddish wood on the ubertis. The Winchesters are pricier but worth checking out if you're in the market. I have the case hardened version with the classic straight style stock and it may be the nicest gun I own.

I have recently fallen back in love with the lever actions, I have owned a lot over the past 40 years, and have always ended up selling or trading them, just looking to shoot light loads out of them for fun, have a few recipes for the 45 colt in mind. I have owned more Marlin's than Winchesters, but like them all, just have it in my mind to get 1873 model Uberti, call it a bucket list item if you will. Thanks for all the info so far, it may be a couple of months before I get one, I am on the south shore, so if any one sees one in a shop not to far away let me know. Would like to handle and examine one first.
I'm down in the New Bedford area. If you would like to try out my Uberti 73 and Marlin and Rossi all in .45 Colt send me a PM.

I've got a Uberti 1873 45LC octagon barrel case hardened receiver beautiful condition that I might be willing to sell for the right price. If your interested send me a message.

I'm down in the New Bedford area. If you would like to try out my Uberti 73 and Marlin and Rossi all in .45 Colt send me a PM.

I've got a Uberti 1873 45LC octagon barrel case hardened receiver beautiful condition that I might be willing to sell for the right price. If your interested send me a message.
I will keep both of these offers in mind, Thanks

I may be rethinking my choice, from the Uberti to a somewhat stronger action, reasoning I sometimes hunt with my nephew who lives in Vermont, if we hunt up in the hills, I can use my Marlins in either 30-30, or 45-70, but when we hunt behind his house, due to proximity of other homes we usually go with pistol caliber levers or buckshot. In your opinions which manufactures make the stronger actions Marlin, Henry or Winchester for .45 Colt.

45 LC is a pistol cartridge. it's not going to much matter. also the strength of action has really nothing to do with manufacturer and everything to do with design. the Uberti 1873 is just that, an 1873 design. it's not a falling block. the action articulates like an arm. it's an old design.

stop worrying about which lever manufacturer and decide on your application. if this is a hunting gun then for go with a hunting cartridge in a modern design, such as a 30-30 or 44 mag henry. sorry but an 1873 in 45LC seems like an absurd hunting rifle.

if can't decide what you want then do what everyone else does and buy an HRA. they are fine rifles.

I may be rethinking my choice, from the Uberti to a somewhat stronger action, reasoning I sometimes hunt with my nephew who lives in Vermont, if we hunt up in the hills, I can use my Marlins in either 30-30, or 45-70, but when we hunt behind his house, due to proximity of other homes we usually go with pistol caliber levers or buckshot. In your opinions which manufactures make the stronger actions Marlin, Henry or Winchester for .45 Colt.

Are you hunting rhino?
Or whitetail?

The 45 Colt will get it done with factory loads or equivalent hand loads. They’re deer not tanks.
Plenty of people use 44 special and 45 Colt on deer all the time. No massive blood shot meat and a 1/2” hole clean through kills them fast.
They’re all fine firearms and all will do the job. Pick what you like to look or you’ll be disappointedly.

Are you hunting rhino?
Or whitetail?

The 45 Colt will get it done with factory loads or equivalent hand loads. They’re deer not tanks.
Plenty of people use 44 special and 45 Colt on deer all the time. No massive blood shot meat and a 1/2” hole clean through kills them fast.
They’re all fine firearms and all will do the job. Pick what you like to look or you’ll be disappointedly.
There in Vermont so they are a Rhino/Deer Hybrid.

There in Vermont so they are a Rhino/Deer Hybrid.
Makes sense.
Use a heavier bullet. Velocity diminishes mass doesn’t.
If you like the sexiness of an 1873 just get one. The colt will do the job.
People think you need AP 50 cal to kill a deer.

yup I think I should stay with the decision to get the Uberti, they are sharp looking, besides most of my deer hunting consists of taking my gun for a walk in the woods. Usually the only deer I see in Vermont is on the drive up LOL. thanks for the advice.

I have been thinking about getting a Uberti 1873, in .45 colt, I already have a Henry in .357, thinking of something different. Anyone that has one feel free to offer advice.
I bought an Uberti 1873 lever action Winchester replica, fine tuned by TAYLOR'S & COMPANY and believe it is the best lever action of this model in new production. TAYOR'S & COMPANY (Virginia, USA) disassembles and fine tunes these rifles. Unbelievably smooth. DO NOT BUY AN 1873 without checking out the TAYLOR'S/UBERTI "co-production" model.
George Balogh
Canada

The major difference between a 1873 lever action and a 1892 is the strength of the action. The 1873 uses a toggle link action that goes all the way back to the Volcanic pistol of 1854. The 1892 uses a much stronger action designed by John Browning that's based on two equilateral rear locking lugs. Both are fine for standard .45 Colt loads, but if you want to use any of the +P loads (such as Buffalo Bore's 45 Colt +P Deer Grenade) then you'll want the stronger 1892 action.

Back
Top Bottom