U.S Army scraps testing after rifle outperforms M4A1

Step 1. Quit being the world police
Step 2. Bring everyone home
Step 3. Kick back, relax, let countries deal with their own damn problems
Step 4. Use the newfound budget surplus to develop good weapons and armor
Step 5. Profit

yep, i would be curious to see the budget numbers every year for the cost of maintaining every base outside of U.S. Soil.

Maybe you AR freaks uh, aficionados can explain something to me. With all the money dumped into improving the 5.56 cartridge with magic bullets, why was there never any experimentation with 7TCU? We've seen many different cartridges all claiming to be the next best thing, witness 6.5 Grendel, 6.8 SPC, 300 BO and they all fell short....

They felt short due to politics, and short sighted penny pitching, more than anything. Going back to the Garand, with the 276 Peterson, and the FAL, with the 280 British, it has been pretty well understood from a technical perspective that a 6.5-7mm round would be superior.

- - - Updated - - -

Step 1. Quit being the world police
Step 2. Bring everyone home
Step 3. Kick back, relax, let countries deal with their own damn problems
Step 4. Use the newfound budget surplus to develop good weapons and armor
Step 5. Profit

+1 Million

If there was a rifle that signifigant outperformed the ar at a comperable price everyone would have that instead of an AR. As it happens their isnt.

yep, i would be curious to see the budget numbers every year for the cost of maintaining every base outside of U.S. Soil.

The last article on that topic that I had read puts the cost of the global US empire at about $700 billion a year, minimum.

Edit: That number I think is the cost of all US defense spending not including active foreign wars. I think the cost of maintaining all the foreign bases is closer to $250 billion, at least as of a few years ago?

Last edited:
But how much did it outperform?

It was probably a slight performance increase and therefor doesn't warrant buying 500,000 new guns and parts.

Until a caliber change or a revolutionary design comes out, the m4 isn't going anywhere.

It has nothing to do with any of that stuff, there have been plenty of viable designs. The cost isn't even the issue, it probably wouldn't even cost a few hundred million (which is like mouse milk for the .gov) It has everything to do with 2nd or 3rd level politics within DOD procurement, etc. It's just another example of massive dysfunction within the DOD.

-Mike

not in the nasty guard it hasn't been......

'94-'00

I have no clue when the SAW hit guard units. I know mine had them in 2004 and they were beat up so I would guess they've been around for a bit. The unit I was in had m240's instead of M60's also so maybe it was better equipped than other units. Not sure. I can say for sure that I've never seen an M60 in .mil service ever, though. From 03' on.

I have no clue when the SAW hit guard units. I know mine had them in 2004 and they were beat up so I would guess they've been around for a bit. The unit I was in had m240's instead of M60's also so maybe it was better equipped than other units. Not sure. I can say for sure that I've never seen an M60 in .mil service ever, though. From 03' on.

The infantry unit I was in in the guard had teh M60 through at least 1996..........things have changed though........guard units don't get the hand me downs anymore now that it has gon from a strategic reserve to an operational force. However with the current budget who knows what the future holds for the national guard.......in a few years it may go back to begging at the table for scraps.

Last edited:
The infantry unit I was in in the guard had teh M60 through at least 1996..........things have changed though........guard units don't get the hand me downs anymore now that it has gon from a strategic reserve to an operational force. However with the current budget who knows what the future holds for the national guard.......in a few years it may go back to begging at the table for scraps.

We had brand new M16A4's when I got in. The M240's looked new also. The SAW's though. Oh those poor SAWs. The biggest gripe I had when I was still around was the trucks we had sucked.

When I drive by the old armory these days - holy shit. They got some nice trucks now.

Maybe you AR freaks uh, aficionados can explain something to me. With all the money dumped into improving the 5.56 cartridge with magic bullets, why was there never any experimentation with 7TCU? We've seen many different cartridges all claiming to be the next best thing, witness 6.5 Grendel, 6.8 SPC, 300 BO and they all fell short. Sometimes because of ballistics sometimes due to magazine capacity sometimes both. It seems to me that with some time spent on improving bullet performance the TCU or the 7x45 would work the balls.

The 7 TCU is too long for the AR15 platform.

We had brand new M16A4's when I got in. The M240's looked new also. The SAW's though. Oh those poor SAWs. The biggest gripe I had when I was still around was the trucks we had sucked.

When I drive by the old armory these days - holy shit. They got some nice trucks now.
The Army National Guard is very well equipped these days.

not in the nasty guard it hasn't been......

'94-'00

I humped an M249, then an M60 and that was '96-2002. M240's were on the books as I was getting out in '02 and my Battalion was heading to Bosnia.

FWIW, we had hand-me-down M16A2's as our standard issue rifles. Never saw any high speed low drag M4 carbines during my time. And the SAW wasn't all it's cracked up to be: too high a cyclic meant it was inaccuracte as hell unless you had the bipod deployed and shoulder support extended and kept the bursts very short. And carrying 4 packs of belt-linked 5.56 wasn't any lighter than humping the M60 pig and a few belts of 7.62. No spare barrel and ammo mule AGunner though.

I humped an M249, then an M60 and that was '96-2002. M240's were on the books as I was getting out in '02 and my Battalion was heading to Bosnia.

FWIW, we had hand-me-down M16A2's as our standard issue rifles. Never saw any high speed low drag M4 carbines during my time. And the SAW wasn't all it's cracked up to be: too high a cyclic meant it was inaccuracte as hell unless you had the bipod deployed and shoulder support extended and kept the bursts very short. And carrying 4 packs of belt-linked 5.56 wasn't any lighter than humping the M60 pig and a few belts of 7.62. No spare barrel and ammo mule AGunner though.
As far as the M249 goes it is utilized two ways according to MTOE......(military table of organization and equipment)......as a SAW it is truly the squad automatic weapon which the acronym stands for and is an individual weapon assigned to one infantryman (no spare barrel and ammo humper dude) in the squad and is under control of the squad leader (sounds like that was your assigned position)........it is also under the MTOE as a crew served weapon (two man team with the spare barrel and ammo humper dude) in the heavy weapon platoon and is under control of the company commander. On the unit property book it is even tracked as two seperate LINs even though the weapon system is identical. [smile]

I have no idea how the marines break this down.....the above is army "speak"

Last edited:
The last article on that topic that I had read puts the cost of the global US empire at about $700 billion a year, minimum.

Edit: That number I think is the cost of all US defense spending not including active foreign wars. I think the cost of maintaining all the foreign bases is closer to $250 billion, at least as of a few years ago?

so if we did what every other nation did and housed our troops in our own nation we could cut defense spending by a potential 250 billion a year? Wow so almost half our budget goes to just maintaining those bases.

the cost of small arms replacement is bitch money compared to the retarded waste of money for bullshit such as our fantasy land submarine fleet with its associated costs.

You may not want to read about the Navy's $12 Billion debacle that currently is the USS Gerald Ford

Assistant M60 gunner - possibly the worst job in the military. Brutal combat load and draw a lot of fire.....

Looked up the wiki and a 7.62 round is very roughly 2.5 times the weight of a 5.56 round.

What is the likelihood of the enemy returning fire after being hit with a .308 vs 5.56 ? I carried the M60 for about 2 years when I was a gunner.

What is the likelihood of the enemy returning fire after being hit with a .308 vs 5.56 ? I carried the M60 for about 2 years when I was a gunner.
Both put holes in people just fine.......the point is you can carry a full combat load of 5.56 and be able to maneuver faster. Have you ever carried a full combat load in addition to wearing IBA with plate carriers? If you have........ and say you would prefer 210 rounds of 7.62 ammo over 210 rounds of 5.56 ammo and will still be able to keep up with your fire team then more power to you.

Last edited:

Isn't the likelihood of hitting someone with a bullet pretty low? I heard that the GAO said it was something like 250,000 rounds for each insurgent killed. If you are thinking about whether .308 is more effective than 5.56 when it hits, you gotta balance that against how many rounds you will have of each, and whether you would be better off getting more chances with 5.56. From how I have heard veterans talk about machine guns and combat, it was all about having the enemy keep their heads down, more of an offensive defense than anything else.

Isn't the likelihood of hitting someone with a bullet pretty low? I heard that the GAO said it was something like 250,000 rounds for each insurgent killed. If you are thinking about whether .308 is more effective than 5.56 when it hits, you gotta balance that against how many rounds you will have of each, and whether you would be better off getting more chances with 5.56. From how I have heard veterans talk about machine guns and combat, it was all about having the enemy keep their heads down, more of an offensive defense than anything else.

In addition to that, aren't we fighting more unarmored insurgents than armored regular troops? Wouldn't a smaller round make more sense since troops don't need to penetrate the same armor they're wearing? And with a smaller round, it would be cheaper plus they could carry (and fire) more.

Or do I just know nothing about the military?

As far as the M249 goes it is utilized two ways according to MTOE......(military table of organization and equipment)......as a SAW it is truly the squad automatic weapon which the acronym stands for and is an individual weapon assigned to one infantryman (no spare barrel and ammo humper dude) in the squad and is under control of the squad leader (sounds like that was your assigned position)........it is also under the MTOE as a crew served weapon (two man team with the spare barrel and ammo humper dude) in the heavy weapon platoon and is under control of the company commander. On the unit property book it is even tracked as two seperate LINs even though the weapon system is identical. [smile]

I have no idea how the marines break this down.....the above is army "speak"

Our light infantry company used the SAW in the former role you described, 1 per fire team, 2 per squad. The weapons platoons had M60's until the M240 replaced it in our unit sometime in 2001. We also had mortars attached to the headquarters platoon... not sure how that was considered "light infantry". Ah, now I remember, "light" was code for "walk everywhere". Never said anything about how much what you humped weighed. The killer was NTC... humping TOW components in the mountains while the armor and mech infantry played in the sand...

Back
Top Bottom