Typical NYC pistol license renewal time?

It's been over 2 months since I dropped off my renewal materials at 1PP (I received a time stamped receipt) and was wondering how long others might have waited for their renewal and if this long a wait is typical?

I remember waiting a few weeks for my last renewal, three years ago, but not this long. :)

Thanks!

J-Aug - I dont have an answer for you, but I noticed it was your first post and I wanted to welcome to you to the forum. I'm sure someone will (hopefully) chime in soon to answer your question! Up here in MA some of us get dicked around for 6-9 weeks before getting a license...[angry]

Thanks!
Yea, I've heard that things can move a bit less than light speed up there. :)
My license took 6+ months but was hoping that the renewal would be done as fast as previously. Perhaps they're crazy busy or some of the folks there are on vacation.

I just posted my "it's good to be here" post with the others and I'm looking forward to adding whatever I can to the forums. [grin]

Last edited:
An update...
I just called the Renewal Section at 1PP and they checked the book. My renewed license was mailed out weeks ago!

While I have joked around about the USPS losing things, this is the first time I can remember it ever happening. I was told to write up a letter stating that I never received the license, have it notarized, and bring it by 1PP on Monday (when the person who handled my renewal will be in) and that they will take care of things then.

I should have called earlier. [grin]

Glad to hear you are getting it taken care of.

On another note: How many hoops did you have to jump thru in the 1st place to get your license? I've heard it's near-impossible in NYC to get a license to carry. You must know "someone"[wink].

Steve

On another note: How many hoops did you have to jump thru in the 1st place to get your license? I've heard it's near-impossible in NYC to get a license to carry. You must know "someone"[wink].

Steve

I believe the "license to carry" doesn't allow you to carry squat. He just means a posession permit. NYC will issue those to basically any law abiding citizen, but its an incredible hassle of titanic proportions, and when your done with it, you have hardly any ability to do anything anyway....thus making it completely worthless.

To get a concealed carry license you either have to be a politically connected or just extremely rich, as I understand it.

Steve
While I disagree with maee that it's completely worthless (after all, I do get to shoot [smile] ) it takes a lot of time and money to even get the "premise residence" permit I have. Carry permits are essentially impossible to get unless you're handling tons of cash/jewels/etc. as a part of your business.

It took me about 6 months, a good pile of paperwork, and a pile of money to get the license (about 20 years ago). And I still need to spend over $300 and submit a new pile of paperwork every 3 years to renew it. [crying]

You have to really, really like to shoot if you want to shoot here in NYC. [smile][smile]

Last edited:
While I disagree with maee that it's completely worthless (after all, I do get to shoot [smile] ) it takes a lot of time and money to even get the "premise residence" permit I have. Carry permits are essentially impossible to get unless you're handling tons of cash/jewels/etc. as a part of your business.

It took me about 6 months, a good pile of paperwork, and a pile of money to get the license (about 20 years ago). And I still need to spend over $300 and submit a new pile of paperwork every 3 years to renew it. [crying]

You have to really, really like to shoot if you want to shoot here in NYC. [smile][smile]

You've got it backwards. You really, really have to love NYC to keep living there. [wink] [laugh]

Wow. That's makes MA not look so bad.

Welcome to the forum.

Update

I went down to 1PP with my notarized "I never received my renewed license" letter and in 10 minutes I had my license. Went shooting an hour later.

It only took them 9 days to process my renewal and mail it out originally! Next time I'll call in a month if I haven't received it.

Back
Top Bottom