Two masked home invaders are met by armed resident n MA today.

Perhaps Lens will return and elaborate. My take is he meant it destroyed him for 6 months of his life. That's a long time to wait for a ruling as to whether or not your self defense shooting of a raging maniac who was actively trying to slaughter, and came very close to succeeding, the MD who was without any means to protect herself, was justifiable.
Best regards.
probably cost him a shit ton of money too.

Perhaps Lens will return and elaborate. My take is he meant it destroyed him for 6 months of his life. That's a long time to wait for a ruling as to whether or not your self defense shooting of a raging maniac who was actively trying to slaughter, and came very close to succeeding, the MD who was without any means to protect herself, was justifiable.
Best regards.

You have it right. He lost his job, LTC and gun during that time. Unsure if he was living alone before the shooting but know he ended up living with his Parents during those 6 months, couldn't work.

The fact that he eventually became a Trooper is great news. Not everyone who is hurt psychologically and financially ends up in the gutter . . . glad to see that he pulled himself up and moved on. I haven't tracked him after the DA finally agreed not to prosecute.

probably cost him a shit ton of money too.

You can be sure of that.

And a good reason never to help a m******* and to move out of this State as fast as possible.

Could you really watch someone die knowing you could have stopped it?

I'm not looking to play hero by any stretch, but I don't think I could idly stand by because I feared legal repercussions either. I hope to never truly find out the answer to that either.

This will give you a lot of insight into the case and how absurd MA law is in relation to the Langone case.

http://www.suffolkdistrictattorney....o-charges-in-fatal-staniford-street-shooting/

This article is a great example of the way the MSM subverts LTC holders - http://boston.cbslocal.com/2010/10/01/does-a-license-to-carry-include-the-right-to-kill/

Actually, this is generally not bad at all:
“Mr. Langone acted out of necessity,” Conley said. “At no point did he take an action that was not reasonable or required by the circumstances in that room.”
This is a pretty strong statement. it wasn't a "he was justified, but he could have done something else" kind of statement.
“He was an ordinary person thrust into extraordinary circumstances. He saved Dr. Desrosiers’ life and possibly others, including his own. There are no legal grounds for criminal charges in this incident, and we consider the case closed.”
Not once does the statement from DA Conley's office even remotely question the action of Mr. Langone.
And the closing line from the WBZ article:
The experts who spoke with WBZ agree that the only way Paul Langone would be free of this line of questioning is if he, despite seeing the blood and knife, had done absolutely nothing.

And that may say a lot about our society, our legal system, or perhaps both.

Actually, this is generally not bad at all:
This is a pretty strong statement. it wasn't a "he was justified, but he could have done something else" kind of statement. Not once does the statement from DA Conley's office even remotely question the action of Mr. Langone.
And the closing line from the WBZ article:

I agree with your assessment. The DA's report was very thorough. And the WBZ article was also spot on. IIRC, the MD was unable to make a statement until about 2 weeks after the event The public was informed almost immediately that Langone was a "Special Police Officer and LTC holder.
The unfortunate reality is that Paul Langone had to wait a long time for that report to come out.
Best regards.

I'd pass on that. All that's going to do is blunt your instincts and lower your inhibitions.

I understand your point and see where you're coming from, but I'm curious - I'm sure we have members here that could give a good answer to this:

If you've got a head full of benzodiazepines or whatever other drugs from the hospital, would any statement you give while under the influence of such meds have any weight at all?

Not arguing the point, just curious.

Why would you be making a statement?

Many of you would talk yourselves into a lengthy prison sentence. Many could use a good education on what you should do AFTER such an event, but too many "already know what to do" and have no desire to learn. How many times have we posted that "do not talk to the police" video?

Many of you would talk yourselves into a lengthy prison sentence. Many could use a good education on what you should do AFTER such an event, but too many "already know what to do" and have no desire to learn. How many times have we posted that "do not talk to the police" video?

Exactly.

The first thing I'd do is say I won't speak without an attorney present. The second would be to ask to be taken to the hospital due to my severe chest pains.

I wouldn't. It was more a theoretical.

Why would you be making a statement? Many of you would talk yourselves into a lengthy prison sentence. Many could use a good education on what you should do AFTER such an event, but too many "already know what to do" and have no desire to learn. How many times have we posted that "do not talk to the police" video?

This....

the police are not your friends and everything you say CAN and WILlL be used against you

Oh I know someone will chime in on how somebody talked after a shooting and they let him go in East Bumfuk, ID or someplace, but those cases are few and far between. Listen to LenS and others with the same advice. They know...

This....

the police are not your friends and everything you say CAN and WILlL be used against you

Oh I know someone will chime in on how somebody talked after a shooting and they let him go in East Bumfuk, ID or someplace, but those cases are few and far between. Listen to LenS and others with the same advice. They know...

Lets keep within the scenario. If you are going through a panic attack/shock etc and go to the hospital following a shooting one may not be in a state of mind to not speak and further more if injured may be under the influence of pain meds. How could one protect oneself from questioning?

We can all say I am smart and know not to talk to the police but then under mental and physical duress combined with medication can you really?

Paul Langone was described as an off duty "Special Police Officer" when the shooting happened. I don't know what is attached to the title.
This is a limited form of police powers granted to "housing police" - basically armed security hired by the housing authority.

Short form:

- No police powers when not on uniformed, active duty
- Limited to 38 wheelguns when on duty
- Subject to Boston PD regs regarding "special police"
- Subservient to and under the command of any regular Boston PD officer when responding to an incident

But, enough for the press to avoid the cognitive dissonance it would experience reporting on an armed citizen in a clean shoot.

I like how their main concern in that article is whether or not the guy was licensed to possess a firearm and not the fact that two degenerates were doing a good old fashioned B&E.

was thinking this also and he is still in custody? But you know the old saying "I'd rather be judged by 12, than carried by 6"

More reason to fight these bogus laws.

Exactly.

The first thing I'd do is say I won't speak without an attorney present. The second would be to ask to be taken to the hospital due to my severe chest pains.

Really hoping those chest pains weren't caused by the intruder's gun shot hitting you, rather the anxiety of the stressful situation. Seriously, people have to have it drilled into their head, do not speak to the police without a qualified attorney present.

Really hoping those chest pains weren't caused by the intruder's gun shot hitting you, rather the anxiety of the stressful situation. Seriously, people have to have it drilled into their head, do not speak to the police without a qualified attorney present.

I'd rather be in the hospital than the police station.

Hospitals give you jello.

Could you really watch someone die knowing you could have stopped it?

I'm not looking to play hero by any stretch, but I don't think I could idly stand by because I feared legal repercussions either. I hope to never truly find out the answer to that either.

It depends. If it were a stranger who I had no idea about, I would help them. If it were Deval, Martha, Linsky (he lives near my area), Feinstein, Eric Holder, Bloomberg, et al? I probably wouldn't do a thing. I would hope they would survive the situation sheltering in place or peeing themselves, etc. But why should I put my freedom on the line to help someone who set up these asinine laws and courts we are subject to.

Lets keep within the scenario. If you are going through a panic attack/shock etc and go to the hospital following a shooting one may not be in a state of mind to not speak and further more if injured may be under the influence of pain meds. How could one protect oneself from questioning?

We can all say I am smart and know not to talk to the police but then under mental and physical duress combined with medication can you really?

THIS, along with LENs and Mark. You just killed/shot someone. You are all adrenalin and no logic. You are not in thinking mode, you are in survival mode. Go to the hospital and dial one of the criminal defense lawyers you have programed into your phone...

Just read that the resident has not been charged with a crime. Investigation is ongoing. Sorry no link to share - read it on my work computer and responded here...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I seem to remember hearing that the idea was that if you go to the hospital the police will be (legally) unable to question you for 24 hours after you're checked in, or something like that.... Can someone clarify this, or confirm if that is actually the case?

I seem to remember hearing that the idea was that if you go to the hospital the police will be (legally) unable to question you for 24 hours after you're checked in, or something like that.... Can someone clarify this, or confirm if that is actually the case?

No. You control when they are "legally" allowed to question you by invoking your right to speak with an attorney.

No. You control when they are "legally" allowed to question you by invoking your right to speak with an attorney.

Ok... Thinking about it a little more, I guess it is just that you can choose go to the hospital, for up to some amount of time, which will prevent the police from throwing you in a jail cell immediately (if they want to), which gives you more time to contact your attorney.

Ok... Thinking about it a little more, I guess it is just that you can choose go to the hospital, for up to some amount of time, which will prevent the police from throwing you in a jail cell immediately (if they want to), which gives you more time to contact your attorney.

Correct.

Back
Top Bottom