Turkeys

Garys

NES Member
When is Turkey season in MA? Or is there one?

I don't hunt, so the next question is likely to seem stupid. Maybe it IS stupid? There are a flock of wild turkeys in my back yard. My yard backs onto conservation land and there are not houses for quite a distance. If I had a license would it be legal for me to shoot a turkey from my back porch?

Before I answer, can I come to your house for practical, applied target practice in your backyard?

You are more than welcome. Although my wife has stated that she will NOT clean them.

Oh, they are no more than 30 feet from my back porch walking about in the brush out beyond the end of the lawn. Still on my property.

Assuming your city/town/unincorporated area has no regulation against hunting or shooting within their jurisdiction, you are good to go so long as you have a valid hunting license and are only shooting a shotgun, and are hunting during the period when turkey hunting is legal. No hunting after dark or when turkey hunting is not in season.

To be sure environmental police agree with my analysis, call them and ask what they think.

Happy hunting!

Darius Arbabi

Attachments

• IMG_0617.jpg
    IMG_0617.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 37
Assuming your city/town/unincorporated area has no regulation against hunting or shooting within their jurisdiction, you are good to go so long as you have a valid hunting license and are only shooting a shotgun, and are hunting during the period when turkey hunting is legal. No hunting after dark or when turkey hunting is not in season.

To be sure environmental police agree with my analysis, call them and ask what they think.

Happy hunting!

Darius Arbabi

You also need to apply for a Turkey permit. Affix a sticker to you shotgun to remind you not to shoot your friends, and only use shot size 4-5-6.

There are 2 seasons spring and fall

Spring you can only take bearded birds. Fall take either.

You also need to check the birds at a checking station. 2 per year. 1 spring 1 fall. or 2 spring and stay home in the fall.

Also, If you don't hit them in the head they might give you the finger and walk away.

As per pp. 14 of http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dfw/regulations/abstracts/hunt_fish_abstracts.pdf

PROHIBITED

Discharge of any Firearm or release of any arrow upon or across any state or hard-surfaced highway, or within 150 feet of any such highway, or possession of a loaded firearm, discharge of a firearm, or hunting on the land of another within 500 feet of any dwelling or building in use, except as authorized by the owner or occupant thereof. See page 7 for additional firearms regulations.

Not in season and not in zone.

Turkey is zone one through nine and 13.

The open season for Fall turkey is Oct. 27th through Nov. 1.

When I was young I had an old italian barber, he taught me some valuable tips on taking wary birds quietly. String corn on a heavy lengtth of thread and throw it out there, when the turkey starts to eat it will choke and then you can grab it and finish the job.
I am not endorsing anything illegal, just passing on old timey wisdom.

When is Turkey season in MA? Or is there one?

I don't hunt, so the next question is likely to seem stupid. Maybe it IS stupid? There are a flock of wild turkeys in my back yard. My yard backs onto conservation land and there are not houses for quite a distance. If I had a license would it be legal for me to shoot a turkey from my back porch?

Good thing you're not in Rhode Island. I think it's against the law to even think about shooting the State Bird.

You can hunt on your back porch if you are 500 away from a dwelling or 125 feet from a road. The turkey season has passed for the fall, but you can hunt them again in may.

Back
Top Bottom