• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Tumbler or sonic cleaner

Ok looking for something to clean my brass. Should I buy a tumbler or should I get one of them Hornandy or Lyman sonic cleaners? Also do I need just media or should I buy the cleaning solution also?
Thank you for any help,

Mike

I have never Tried wet tumbling. Doesn't this add a lot of extra work?

The only extra work is decapping before tumbling if you want the primer pocket clean. With an auto-progressive press like my Hornady LNL, decapping is really fast. I put the washed brass in an aluminum tray with a paper towel and they are perfectly dry overnight. Wet tumbling doesn't have to be expensive, I am doing it with a large capacity (18 pound) vibratory tumbler from Harbor Freight that costs $125 on sale.

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...31-alternative-brass-wet-tumbling-system.html

Chris

The only extra work is decapping before tumbling if you want the primer pocket clean.

Decapping first really isn't optional, it mandatory - and it's not just to get the primer pocket clean.

If you don't decap first, some of the pin media gets stuck in the flash holes, which will break the decapping pin in your sizing die. Eisenhow has mentioned this in a few posts that I wish I read before I did the same thing. I can't say it happens with all calibers, but it happened to me with both 9mm and .223 cases.

I think I may go this route especially starting off with rifle reloading....I use RCBS case lube and tumble after sizing/ depriming anyways to remove the lube.....basically I can size/ deprime and then wet tumble....then load....

Decapping first really isn't optional, it mandatory - and it's not just to get the primer pocket clean.

If you don't decap first, some of the pin media gets stuck in the flash holes, which will break the decapping pin in your sizing die.

Good advice, I ran a few loads without decapping first and did not run into that issue. I like the clean primer pockets, so I generally decap first now with the Lee decapping die.

Chris

Back
Top Bottom