• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

To Lube or Not to Lube (BPCR)

I always have wiped between shots.
I use a mix of 1 part Tru-Tap cutting fluid to 8 parts M-Pro7.
I never dry my chamber either.
Sometimes during a long match the stuff has soaked the action.

I HAVE had case separations like that before in my 45-90.
It wasn't because of a wet chamber.
The cases weren't clean enough inside and the soft bullet grabbed the case and tore it in half.
Once I started using bore brush in a drill,to clean the inside of the case mouth, the problem went away.
I did pull my hair out for a while though.

I never anneal my cases for BPCR guns.
I know it's all the rage now.
I was talking with Brian Chilson at one of our matches about annealing cases and he laughed saying he never did it.
Brian's a multi time National champ and holds many records in BPCR silhouette.

I don't re-sze my brass nor do I crimp.
My fired brass is de-primed, cleaned in an ultrasonic cleaner, dried then tumbled in walnut.
I use the bore brush before loading.
I my 40-65, my silhouette gun, a fired starline case measures about .411 ID.
I shoot either a Lyman Snover or a BACO409415 Postell
Both bullets measure pretty close to .410 un-sized and are a slip fit in the case.
I use an old Lyman 45 with a .412 die to lube them.
I drop 57.2 grains of Swiss 1 1/2, seat a .060 poly wad and compress enough so a seated bullet is just off the lands.
I make my own lube using bees wax, castor wax and castor oil and can post the ratios tomorrow if anyone's interested.

This is what works for me though I haven't made Master class with it.

Hope this helps
I found 65.5 Swiss 1.5 to work best in mine. But I never tried below 60gr.

I also don't resize. Until recently I never annealed.

I don't crimp, I just barely touch them so the bullet won't fall out when I grab the brass, but I can spin the bullet.

I will try the brush to clean the cases. Although I wet tumble with pins and they come out pretty clean.

I also use a 0.060 poly wad and compress enough so that the third band in the bullet is touching the rifling. (First 2 bands are reduced diameter - BACO 535gr Money Bullet).

Back
Top Bottom