Best Brass Tumbler For Rifle Brass?...

I have a couple of the Berry's tumblers that are ancient and have been used really hard with heavy loads of rifle cases for 8-10 hour overnights. They work well enough that I was comfy getting rid of the large Dillon tumbler I had previously. Have to say nothing wrong at all with the Dillon tumblers, but wanted to free up some cash. Bang for the buck-wise, I think the Berry's would be hard to beat... ;)
If one doesn't mind dealing with the water/Lemishine and Armorall soap, rinsing and drying cases etc, then the Frankford wet tumblers turn filthy cases into fine jewelry...[laugh]

A friend is getting into reloading needs a tumbler. He'd like to be able to do a couple hundred .308/.06 cases at a time.

Are the big Lyman's the gold standard?

Amazon product ASIN B000NTIFNMView: https://www.amazon.com/Lyman-Turbo-Tumbler-Auto-Flo-115-Volt/dp/B000NTIFNM

I'd also be interested in hearing about the best bang-for-the-buck bargain tumblers.

If there is something that is both solid and inexpensive, sometimes 2 is better than 1.
I got 2 of these Berrys tumbler kits. Been using for over 10 years. Great price for the tumbler, media, polish, and rotary sifter.
It’s the second option in the drop down list.
Free shipping I believe

OK--thanks for the recc's--that Berry's tumbler looks like a winner. Specs say it will hold 200 pieces of 30.06, the motor has a 3 year warranty, and the rest of the parts are lifetime warranty.

Doesn't really seem like you can go wrong.

Grab the tumbler when it's on sale
Don't need pins unless you want the primer pockets spotless.

For dry tumbling with corn cob or walnut media, the big Lyman works very well and is fast.
I've had one for years.
I've tumbled over 300 45-90 cases in mine
The auto flow feature is nice to both empty the media from the tumbler and clean it out of the cases.

OK--thanks for the recc's--that Berry's tumbler looks like a winner. Specs say it will hold 200 pieces of 30.06, the motor has a 3 year warranty, and the rest of the parts are lifetime warranty.

Doesn't really seem like you can go wrong.
Nope and it has everything you need. Good value IMO

For dry, I use Dillon. The small one would be big enough for his needs. For wet, I use the Thumbler model B but the Rebel would also be good.

I got 2 of these Berrys tumbler kits. Been using for over 10 years. Great price for the tumbler, media, polish, and rotary sifter.
It’s the second option in the drop down list.
Free shipping I believe

The Cabelas kit looks like it came from the same factory as the Berry's.

https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/cabelas-model-400-vibratory-case-tumbler-kit

Anybody got one?

Get a Frankfurt. Or two. I have two.

I've had Lyman and others. The Frankfurts are better. You gain nothing by spending more money. I have four units and I use the Frankfurts more.

Frankford Arsenal Quick-N-EZ 110V Vibratory Case Tumbler Quick-N-EZ Standard Media Separator for Reloading https://a.co/d/5993JQA

I dry tumbled for years, does a respectable job. 3 years ago decided to invest in ss pin wet tumbling. Major difference in brass cleanliness, especially shooting black powder. Even though wet tumble is a bit more work , ill never go back to dry. Wet tumbled brass looks like as new shine inside and out.

Last edited:
I dry tumbled for years, does a respectable job. 3 years ago decided to invest in ss pin wet tumbling. Major difference in brass cleanliness, especially shooting black powder. Even though wet tumble is a bit more work , ill never go back to dry. Wet tumbled brass looks like as new shine inside and out.
Wet tumbling is the way to go. I do it mostly so I don't deal with dust.

I got the tumbling down to 15 minutes, it cleans the brass enough. Cleaner than good enough wont make a difference.

For necked cases I don't use the pins.

For straight walled and large cases like 45/70 or 458 Win Mag, I use pins and leave them in for 30min, only because I want the inside to be as clean as possible, makes it easier to see the powder drop.

As long as you have enough clean brass to continue reloading, drying is not an issue. You can dump them in a box (leave it open) and they will be dry in a day or two. If you have very few cases (don't skinflint, bro), you can throw them in the oven for 40min at 180.

Last edited:
A friend is getting into reloading needs a tumbler. He'd like to be able to do a couple hundred .308/.06 cases at a time.

Are the big Lyman's the gold standard?

Amazon product ASIN B000NTIFNMView: https://www.amazon.com/Lyman-Turbo-Tumbler-Auto-Flo-115-Volt/dp/B000NTIFNM

I'd also be interested in hearing about the best bang-for-the-buck bargain tumblers.

If there is something that is both solid and inexpensive, sometimes 2 is better than 1.
If you know your going to be processing hundreds of cases a run then big is good. I have the big lyman with out the discharge chute.
There are days I wish I had a small unit for 50-100 cases.

What I have done over the years is plan a day or 2 to process brass.

What L load the most and shoot often I have several thousand cases all clean and ready to go.

Although I run 30-06 and 308 in 100 case batches. So I often want a small tumbler just to clean those.

I reload those 100 cases until I see a split or loose primer and that 100 goes into the junk bin.

I dont need shine, I just want free any crud or dirt gone.

Back
Top Bottom