• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Traveling in RV with firearms...........

TZCHRIS

NES Member
So I'm getting ready to head out for some much needed R&R, first stop:

http://carolinarebellion.com/

This will be first trip in RV that I'm planning on carrying where I'm legal, got my Utah licence so I'm good for the most part. I just got this cool CCW app for phone that updates you on all new laws and where you are legal after you input your current licenses. I recommend this app to anyone traveling, its updated daily.

Just want to hear from people who have done some traveling, maybe get some good info and recommendations before I head out.

Thanks

Stay the hell out of NY , NJ and CT.
Other than that enjoy your trip .

Or just follow FOPA as you pass through and don't give them any reason to stop you.

Word of warning : The author of that app is NOT going to appear in court in your defense and using that as your only tool/information source for firearm laws is ill advised.

So I'm getting ready to head out for some much needed R&R, first stop:

http://carolinarebellion.com/

This will be first trip in RV that I'm planning on carrying where I'm legal, got my Utah licence so I'm good for the most part. I just got this cool CCW app for phone that updates you on all new laws and where you are legal after you input your current licenses. I recommend this app to anyone traveling, its updated daily.

Just want to hear from people who have done some traveling, maybe get some good info and recommendations before I head out.

Thanks

Good for the most part? Utah won't help you until you reach Ohio or VA. Be careful...

CT isn't bad. So long as you're following FOPA, you're fine. NY is a ****ing prison state. You can literally feel the oppression as you drive through it. Sadly you can't leave New England without going through some part of that godforsaken state.

Would avoid NJ, MD, and DC as others have said. Though FOPA should apply everywhere, you never know what you're going to get if you have to stop for gas and you win the ******* cop lottery.

Lady Radtekk and I live in MA. Before our honeymoon Oct 2015 we got our NH non-res. Spent 13 days RV-ing (and trailering the Harley) through NH, Vermont and Maine. Beautiful country, great roads, awesome people. Absolutely ZERO ****s given re gun laws.)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Lady Radtekk and I live in MA. Before our honeymoon Oct 2015 we got our NH non-res. Spent 13 days RV-ing (and trailering the Harley) through NH, Vermont and Maine. Beautiful country, great roads, awesome people. Absolutely ZERO ****s given re gun laws.)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

very cool, read your story on the Karma post, I swear I could have written that same exact story. BTW its me not you that has met the 'best woman in the world' or maybe they are twins ;)

our first trip we leaving the bikes at home, its already 37' long and gets 8mpg[sad]

+1 on what others have said about NY, NJ, MD, etc. Try to not even stop for lunch in them. Also, have the guns locked and out of sight. Other than that, have a great time! I'm jealous!

If you do get stopped and the ask to search - politely decline. Also have a dash cam with sound or a phone video as a witness - it's amazing how many police dash/body cams 'fail'.

I'm redoing the inside of my camper this year, real king size bed and such - also building in a hidden storage area for things that don't need to be found but can be gotten to if emergency arises.

Can I use FOPA rules if I have to spend the night in RV in an 'unfriendly' state?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

And tats lots of tats.

Sent from my SM-G928P using Tapatalk

????

I think we're passing each other and missing the high five. In the 70s and 80s there was a book series called Mack Bolan (from Pittsfield, MA) who fought the mafia. Good reading for a teenager, silly now.

He carried an Automag in military leather on his hip and a suppressed 93R in a shoulder rig. He drove around the country in s special RV that was a rolling arsenal he called the "War Wagon"

It was before tats were so popular, so the book never mentioned them.

????

I think we're passing each other and missing the high five. In the 70s and 80s there was a book series called Mack Bolan (from Pittsfield, MA) who fought the mafia. Good reading for a teenager, silly now.

He carried an Automag in military leather on his hip and a suppressed 93R in a shoulder rig. He drove around the country in s special RV that was a rolling arsenal he called the "War Wagon"

It was before tats were so popular, so the book never mentioned them.
I should have gotten that. Its been a long day. I was making fun of my parents who are suddenly RV'ing getting tattoos and trying to be " free" in their 70's for the second time in their life.

Sent from my SM-G928P using Tapatalk

Double-barrel shotty mounted directly over the driver's seat area with additional mounts in sleeping compartment and a very strong flashlight.

No laws are worth your life...

There are SO many places better than NY and NJ to RV and ride... The 13 days Lady Radtekk and I spent on our honeymoon were: Park at campground, unload bike, look at map, say "Let's go there" and head out. Waze set to "No Highways, no tolls" and even then it would be "THAT road looks cool..." and off we'd go. NO idea what roads we were on, never be able to find 'em again. After 3-4 days we relocated to another campground, same deal. Never a bad road, never a bad day, best days of my life. Why worry about gun laws in NY & NJ when you can just as easily go North, especially this time of year. We CC'd on the bike, no issues while driving, and the 12ga, WASR, and AR were in locked cases in "storage compartments" under seats/couches when parked and we were out, in the "trunk/luggage area" while driving. Right lane cruising is easy, unobtrusive, and unless you're a complete buffoon you're invisible to revenooers...

Can I use FOPA rules if I have to spend the night in RV in an 'unfriendly' state

Noooooooooo. you are no longer traveling THRU the state, but visiting there instead.

PA is so pretty, and the skyline drive/blue ridge mountain parkway is a hoot. WHY anyone would deliberately try to stay in NY or NJ is beyond me. I gas up before i get into CT, and then drive the speed limit until i am in PA by the quickest route, and do not look back.

the one area that DOES bother me, is when i am driving along the border, and have an urge to drive into Canada....but can not because i have some guns with me. I mean, if you are driving out west....it really only adds 8 hours or so to go up thru canada instead of NY thruway.

Last edited:
The OP would be wise to keep his tats hidden if trying to stay under the radar
Lol. Having surgery next month. I think the surgeon going to do a number on the tat:( not looking forward to it but doc says I need 8 weeks of recovery. I promise you that at least 6 of those will be traveling in RV! Who knows, if I'm lucky I may never come back:)

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

There are SO many places better than NY and NJ to RV and ride... The 13 days Lady Radtekk and I spent on our honeymoon were: Park at campground, unload bike, look at map, say "Let's go there" and head out. Waze set to "No Highways, no tolls" and even then it would be "THAT road looks cool..." and off we'd go. NO idea what roads we were on, never be able to find 'em again. After 3-4 days we relocated to another campground, same deal. Never a bad road, never a bad day, best days of my life. Why worry about gun laws in NY & NJ when you can just as easily go North, especially this time of year. We CC'd on the bike, no issues while driving, and the 12ga, WASR, and AR were in locked cases in "storage compartments" under seats/couches when parked and we were out, in the "trunk/luggage area" while driving. Right lane cruising is easy, unobtrusive, and unless you're a complete buffoon you're invisible to revenooers...
You're correct but it's a shame because upstate NY IS absolutely beautiful.

Back
Top Bottom