transfering to nh from ma

i just need to know how to transfer a 3rd gen glock from ma to nh
cause the gun cant go threw a ffl, or maybe it can any help
would be good on how to go about this
thanks

IANAL, but I believe it can... a MA FFL can't transfer to a MA resident...but they should be able to transfer it out of state to a NH FFL.

However why would you want to deprive other people in MA of such a "prize"? You can probably sell it in MA, send the money to NH and buy a new one in NH and have money left over.

sickone77: What is it that you are trying to do? Are you trying to sell a Glock to a NH resident? If so, all you need to do is drive up to NH, go to an FFL with the buyer, and have the FFL do the transfer. The crazy MA laws and regulations do not constrain what a NH FFL can do.

That said, I suspect that you might get more money for your Glock selling it here in MA than in NH.

If so, all you need to do is drive up to NH, go to an FFL with the buyer, and have the FFL do the transfer.

I thought for transferring handguns you needed to go through a FFL in your home state and the buyers home state?

I thought for transferring handguns you needed to go through a FFL in your home state and the buyers home state?

Not by federal law. The only FFL needed is in the buyer's state. However, a lot of FFLs won't accept firearms from out of state non-FFLs (at least that they don't know) so it turns out that in practice you usually need an FFL in both states. MA law is more confusing in the matter, and it would seem to me based on reading Ch 140 Sec 128A that you would need a local FFL since according to MA law you're not allowed to sell to anybody not an FFL or FID/LTC licensed in MA. My feeling is, though, that if I'm doing a transaction outside of MA, they can bite me.

sickone77: What is it that you are trying to do? Are you trying to sell a Glock to a NH resident? If so, all you need to do is drive up to NH, go to an FFL with the buyer, and have the FFL do the transfer. The crazy MA laws and regulations do not constrain what a NH FFL can do.

That said, I suspect that you might get more money for your Glock selling it here in MA than in NH.

What he said.

NH isn't as restrictive as MA is when it comes to guns being sold and if you're not sure, call a NH FFL and ask them if they'd take the gun in for a transfer.

No, just through the FFL in the buyer's state of residence. This is covered in the ATF's FAQ:

(B3) May an unlicensed person obtain a firearm from an out-of-State source if the person arranges to obtain the firearm through a licensed dealer in the purchaser’s own State? [Back]

A person not licensed under the GCA and not prohibited from acquiring firearms may purchase a firearm from an out-of-State source and obtain the firearm if an arrangement is made with a licensed dealer in the purchaser's State of residence for the purchaser to obtain the firearm from the dealer.

(B1) To whom may an unlicensed person transfer firearms under the GCA? [Back]

A person may sell a firearm to an unlicensed resident of his State, if he does not know or have reasonable cause to believe the person is prohibited from receiving or possessing firearms under Federal law. A person may loan or rent a firearm to a resident of any State for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes, if he does not know or have reasonable cause to believe the person is prohibited from receiving or possessing firearms under Federal law. A person may sell or transfer a firearm to a licensee in any State. However, a firearm other than a curio or relic may not be transferred interstate to a licensed collector.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(3) and (5), 922(d), 27 CFR 478.29 and 478.30]

Full text is here: http://www.atf.treas.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#b1

Note that in this case the word "licensee" means an FFL.

Back
Top Bottom