• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Transfer of gun(s) on expired FID card

I know someone who never renewed their
Fid card and let it expire. They have multiple
Shotguns, no handguns or rifles.

Can they legally transfer or sell me these guns?
If they can, i'd be getting them for next to nothing.

Thanks in advanced!

I'd imagine you'll have to go through a dealer since your friend doesn't have a FID or LTC.

What state? Some rules are different depending on location.

"FID" and "Massachusetts Laws" section would suggest Massachusetts.

The short answer is: take them to an FFL and it's totally legal.

Given that his "lifetime" FID expired in '98, he can't legally be in possession of them *at all*, and therefore can't legally transfer them (without an FFL)

You and he should go to the FFL together.

Naturally, since it's been illegal for him to possess them since '98, you've been keeping them at your house. Right?

Assuming MA because of the sub forum and FID comment.

Why not just have them get a new FID? Or pay an FFL to do the transfers.

How many shotguns are we talking about anyway, since they'd be limited to 4 on the efa10.

Assuming MA because of the sub forum and FID comment.

Why not just have them get a new FID? Or pay an FFL to do the transfers.

How many shotguns are we talking about anyway, since they'd be limited to 4 on the efa10.

Probably 6-10, you dont think their would be an issue at a FFL? I dont mind paying the fee, just don't want to do something illegal, create a problem for my friend.

- - - Updated - - -

"FID" and "Massachusetts Laws" section would suggest Massachusetts.

The short answer is: take them to an FFL and it's totally legal.

Given that his "lifetime" FID expired in '98, he can't legally be in possession of them *at all*, and therefore can't legally transfer them (without an FFL)

You and he should go to the FFL together.

Naturally, since it's been illegal for him to possess them since '98, you've been keeping them at your house. Right?

You dont think their would be an issue at a FFL? I dont mind paying the fee, just don't want to do something illegal, create a problem for my friend.

As long as you are handling/transporting the shotguns and go through an FFL, they you would be fine.

You bring him, the guns and your FID/LTC to the FFL. FFL intakes them on his BB, then transfers them to you on NICS/eFA-10s. All nice and legal. No issues when done that way.

For the record: This is a common question that has been asked her dozens (perhaps hundreds) of times in the past.

Back
Top Bottom