• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Transfer Massachusetts LTC to New Hampshire?

I am considering a permanent move from Massachusetts to New Hampshire. My Massachusetts LTC
doesn't expire until 2018. Has anyone done it, or does anyone know if it is possible, to simply transfer the Mass LTC to New Hampshire? I haven't "officially" inquired, because the potential move has not been finalized.

You don't transfer a license. You simply apply for a NH one.you could apply for a non-resident one now or you could simply wait and apply for a New Hampshire resident license once you relocate there.

Congratulations on escaping.

There is no transfer of a LTC between states. The states each have their own rules.

If you move to NH just pay $10, fill out the form at the PD and wait (up to) 14 days.

No. But, it is trivial to get a NH LTC "from scratch", and the local PD will have 15 days to either issue your NH LTC or provide a reason why it is being denied.

If you might ever want to get a MA non-res LTC, do the required notification of the CHSB and your COP.
When you do that notification, your LTC becomes invalid.

If you might ever want to get a MA non-res LTC, do the required notification of the CHSB and your COP.
But save it. As an expired LTC, it provides a lifetime defense against criminal sanctions for unlicensed carry (an "expired license" charge is a civil offense) in MA as long as you have not been subsequently denied a MA LTC or become a PP.

Ooops, forgot to mention having your license revoked for any reason OTHER than failure to file a change of address also nullifies the protection.

Last edited:
The only firearm-related license in NH is to carry a loaded handgun concealed, or a loaded handgun in/on a vehicle. You can OPEN carry a loaded firearm, or conceal an UNloaded firearm without a license. All day long, anywhere except a courthouse.

To answer your next question: if you're unlicensed, the only requirement for vehicle transport is that the firearm is unloaded. It does not need to be locked in any container or disassembled. The magazines can be fully loaded, just not in the magazine well of the firearm. Throw 'em loose in a cardboard box, place the AR on your lap, do whatever you'd like.

If have a nonresident license in NH
does i have to be unloaded
in a car?
Someone told me you could carry (concealed)
in a car but could not have a magazine in it/
Anyone know
about this?
ggboy

If have a nonresident license in NH
does i have to be unloaded
in a car?
Someone told me you could carry (concealed)
in a car but could not have a magazine in it/
Anyone know
about this?
ggboy

no. the P/R license immunizes you in a car with a loaded handgun, too... actually thats the far more important of the two main functions of that license.

Up to a 14 day window in which you may not carry in either state

Good info here, covers nearly everything OP needs to know, with one exception -- moving to NH when you have a NH non-resident P&R.

You must wait to apply as a resident until after you become a resident (if only because the form requires your NH "Driver’s License Number"), however the moment you officially change your residency from MA to NH, your MA LTC becomes invalid, as does your non-resident New Hampshire P&R license.

You cannot carry on a NH non-resident permit after you change residency to NH., as that permit is considered to be revoked. This is not codified in the law, it's in Saf-C 2104.02. under "Conditions for Revocation", "A license to carry pistols or revolvers shall be revoked if ... (d) The licensee becomes a resident of New Hampshire".

Last edited:
On a different, but related note, does anyone know if Ma non-res LTCs are issued with restrictions? Also, what is the denial/approval rate? Are they subject to the same suitability requirements?

On a different, but related note, does anyone know if Ma non-res LTCs are issued with restrictions? Also, what is the denial/approval rate? Are they subject to the same suitability requirements?
[thread=284409]Massachusetts non-resident LTC-A[/thread] has it's own dozen threads or so. Suitability and denial policy can differ greatly than the arbitrary issuance policies of the varied MA red and green towns, and I've been hearing that [thread=233867]MA non-resident restriction prevalence for first-time applicants[/thread] might have changed, but I don't know if there's any statistics to confirm this?

Under the new Non-Resident MA LTC process, I've not heard of any applicants getting B-rammed nor denied without any reason (though they will deny you for any really lame reasons they can find).

Last edited:
Okay, First "you don't need no stinkin' license" in New Hampshire. Second, You MUST notify the Licensing Authority and the State Agency that controls the licensing process by Certified Mail with in thirty days that you have moved. Your failure to do so will mean that you can never get a FID or LTC again in MasShiTchusetts. Third, Once you move from that state that license is null and void.

If you apply for a Non Resident LTC in Mass. and not followed that process you will be denied, and once that happens you will have to answer that question accordingly when ever that is asked on any license application.

- - - Updated - - -

14 days, don't give them any more time.

This is right on. And don't provide the local PD in NH with anything other than what is required by law (ie phone numbers for references and don't let them photocopy your ID)

however the moment you officially change your residency from MA to NH, your MA LTC becomes invalid
Failure to file a change of address is grounds for revocation of a MA LTC.

I am not able to find any statute or court that establishes that an unexpired LTC becomes invalid the moment someone changes their address. Could you please cite a MA law or court decision that establishes this to be the case? I am looking for something a bit more definitive that a cop/gun show owner/instructor told me.

I do not follow MA cases, I'm just going by what Len-2A Training and others have posted in the past.

If you assume that not being a MA resident is a disqualifier for a resident license, then "(f) A license issued under this section shall be revoked or suspended by the licensing authority, or his designee, upon the occurrence of any event that would have disqualified the holder from being issued such license or from having such license renewed..."; appears to apply and call for immediate revocation?

It's not nearly as clear as New Hampshire law.

Stat. denials rarely happen unless you're ****ed up as an applicant, but restrictions frequently happen unless you put on a little dog and pony show about needing to be unrestricted. If you waltz in there unprepared you will be given a plate of gruel and you will like/eat it and that is that. If you walk in there prepared you can easily leave knowing you're going to get unrestricted. If this concept mystifies you, my advice would be to cough up the dough to call up Jason Guida. He used to be "the guy on the other side of that desk". I would bet for not too much money he could help you construct a silk enema of an application that will basically get you the license you want.

-Mike

- - - Updated - - -

I do not follow MA cases, I'm just going by what Len-2A Training and others have posted in the past.

If you assume that not being a MA resident is a disqualifier for a resident license, then "(f) A license issued under this section shall be revoked or suspended by the licensing authority, or his designee, upon the occurrence of any event that would have disqualified the holder from being issued such license or from having such license renewed..."; appears to apply and call for immediate revocation?

Yeah but then it goes on to say that the LTC holder must be notified in writing. So if this never happens, is the license actually revoked? This legally becomes an "If a tree falls in the forest, and nobody hears it, did it actually fall?" type of deal.

-Mike

Rob is looking for a law or case law that calls out this process. We all acknowledge that administratively they cancel your LTC as a matter of policy, but the legality of doing that is the issue Rob is looking to find.

Yeah but then it goes on to say that the LTC holder must be notified in writing. So if this never happens, is the license actually revoked? This legally becomes an "If a tree falls in the forest, and nobody hears it, did it actually fall?" type of deal.

-Mike

If push came to shove, I'm sure that the state's position would be that it must have gotten lost in the Mail! [rofl]

When I moved to NY, I sent in the change of address from, and just got back a letter stating "thank you for updating your address". Nothing about it not being valid any more. I mean I havent been back much other than to visit family and havent had a gun with me when I was.

I couldn't find anything in the MGLs that stated that the LTC became invalid upon moving out of state.
A new non-resident, however, needs a non-resident LTC to possess firearms, ammo, etc., which implies that the old LTC will not be honored.
I admit that the old LTC may never be actually canceled, but also don't understand how it can be useful other than moving back into the state.
Or is that the situation that needs clarification?

I couldn't find anything in the MGLs that stated that the LTC became invalid upon moving out of state.
A new non-resident, however, needs a non-resident LTC to possess firearms, ammo, etc., which implies that the old LTC will not be honored.
I admit that the old LTC may never be actually canceled, but also don't understand how it can be useful other than moving back into the state.
Or is that the situation that needs clarification?

No, there's a chunk of poop in the law that exempts you when you move in for a certain amount of time while you're obtaining your new LTC. You can't do anything with your guns during that interval other than keep them locked up, but there is no need for a move-in to get a nonresident LTC.

ETA: also if the person moving back into MA ever had an LTC that simply expired, they have a level of immunity attached to them anyways that someone who has never been "washed" before does not have. (immunity from criminal prosecution, only is civil penalty).

-Mike

Last edited:

No, there's a chunk of poop in the law that exempts you when you move in for a certain amount of time while you're obtaining your new LTC. You can't do anything with your guns during that interval other than keep them locked up, but there is no need for a move-in to get a nonresident LTC.

By "new non-resident" I meant someone who is no longer a resident of MA. They do need a non-resident LTC to possess in MA.

when moving out of MA, are you required to provide your new address in the change of address notification letters?

By "new non-resident" I meant someone who is no longer a resident of MA. They do need a non-resident LTC to possess in MA.

Sorry, I have reading comprehension problems I guess, when I saw it written that way it mislead me into believing it meant something else.

Even then it is still debateable as to whether or not your old license dies. Obviously if you notify CJIS and the PD within the change of address interval they will probably kill it.

-Mike

Sorry, I have reading comprehension problems I guess, when I saw it written that way it mislead me into believing it meant something else.

Even then it is still debateable as to whether or not your old license dies. Obviously if you notify CJIS and the PD within the change of address interval they will probably kill it.

-Mike

But if they were to kill it, they would tell you it was no longer valid, correct? As I said, all I ever received back from anyone when I sent in change of address for all my licenses was "Thanks for the update" or "Please verify that the new address info on this sheet is correct, and let us know if there is an error". Either the state nor the town told me my license was no longer valid. I received the renewal maybe 2 weeks before I moved and it has an exp. date in 2019.

This is Massachusetts.
Don't assume that bureaucrats will be efficient, consistent, or even rational; the laws certainly aren't.

If towns kill the old LTC when you send address notification giving a new address out of state, maybe a way to get around "red" towns refusing to release (expire early) an LTC for people who move within MA?

That is, you "move" to NH for a week (Martha's motel?), send the change of address to your old MA town, then a week later (after your old town releases your LTC), change your mind and "move" to a green MA town.

Wait if you don't notify MA you have moved within 30 days you can never get a license there again? WTF.

Back
Top Bottom