Trading or purchasing used firearms

I'm sure lots of trades or purchases are done with people you don't know so I'm wondering how those transactions went? I purchased a revolver through someone I know who introduced me to an older gentleman and that went fine. So how many of you rejected trades or purchases once you examined the gun?

Last edited:
Make the trade in the lobby of your local police station if you are that uncomfortable.

If you need to do this you're doing it wrong or shouldn't be engaging in this sort of business, stick to using dealers.

Pretty simple, arrange to meet somewhere mutually agreed, maybe your local gunshop, if the firearm is not in the condition you desire then thanks but no thanks. If your leery of trading with people you don't know then you probably won't have the chance at many trades.

If it sounds to good to be true the its possible it might be, if your concerned about getting a stolen firearm or getting mugged then why not meet at a ffl and do the exchange there? Personally I wouldnt ever involve a police station but thats just me, I would feel comfortable enough at a well known gun shop. Some people dont mind taking a loss on a firearm that they just dont want in exchange for something they are looking for. If the guy is unwilling to do the exchange anywhere else than his house or at an abandaned warehouse then listen to your gut.

I'm sure lots of trades or purchases are done with people you don't know so I'm wondering how those transactions went? I purchased a revolver through someone I know who introduced me to an older gentleman and that went fine but now I'm thinking of trading firearms with someone I don't know and I believe is a young man age 24. So how many of you rejected trades or purchases once you examined the gun? My wife is telling me not to buy from someone I don't know. (My wife is usually right).

BTW, the "deal" is very positive for me, I will make out like a bandit. That also makes me leery.

Trades usually suck, With a few exceptions, someone is usually getting screwed. I've done a few that were fair for both parties but its usually rare when both sides line up. It's easier to deal direct in cash whether buying or selling.

-Mike

The majority of the guns I have bought and sold have been with people I don't know and all of them have gone smoothly. I've never rejected a gun at the point of sale, they have all been as described.

As for the actual meeting/sale, if you're concerned, bring a friend. If you are really concerned, meet at an FFL to do the transfer. You can ask their opinion on the condition of the gun and then pay the transfer fee which is pretty short money for a well lit, well armed, relatively safe place to meet and make the deal.

Unless you know everyone in the world your going to have a hard time buying from anyone.Good comunication is the key to a great transaction. Agree threw email, or on the phone what your going to do when you meet so there is no misunderstanding when you meet.Like tell the person you like to look at the gun before you buy it,don't agree on a price then offer less when you meet up.You can always go threw an FFL, but that will cost extra.

If you need to do this you're doing it wrong or shouldn't be engaging in this sort of business, stick to using dealers.

I don't know! I bought a gun in the parking lot of a PD. Seller was an officer. If my last two chiefs weren't such dicks, I would have done trades at my PD without worry. [wink]

To the OP:

- I've bought numerous guns thru NES, all from people I didn't know. Net result has been that I've met some really fine folks that I would never have met otherwise. Use iTrader if the person is a NES'r, read what others have had to say as well as the seller's comments. It's not perfect but a good gauge.
- Before the deal is the time to get pictures, ask questions so that there are no surprises.
- Don't meet people in dark places.
- I've done deals in gas station parking lots, Holiday Inn parking lots, Four Seasons Firearms parking lot, gun clubs, etc. [This was all in the era of paper forms.]
- Now that eFA-10s must be done at the time of transfer, options might be limited. Parking lots of Dunkin Donuts, public libraries, etc. with free WiFi and a laptop might be the best bet. For me now I would use Braintree R&P as a location since we have WiFi for members there.
- Do trust your gut. If something sounds sketchy when you talk/Email prior to committing, back out and don't look back.

I don't know! I bought a gun in the parking lot of a PD. Seller was an officer. If my last two chiefs weren't such dicks, I would have done trades at my PD without worry. [wink]

To the OP:

- I've bought numerous guns thru NES, all from people I didn't know. Net result has been that I've met some really fine folks that I would never have met otherwise. Use iTrader if the person is a NES'r, read what others have had to say as well as the seller's comments. It's not perfect but a good gauge.
- Before the deal is the time to get pictures, ask questions so that there are no surprises.
- I've done deals in gas station parking lots, Holiday Inn parking lots, Four Seasons Firearms parking lot, gun clubs, etc. [This was all in the era of paper forms.]
- Now that eFA-10s must be done at the time of transfer, options might be limited. Parking lots of Dunkin Donuts, public libraries, etc. with free WiFi and a laptop might be the best bet. For me now I would use Braintree R&P as a location since we have WiFi for members there.
- Do trust your gut. If something sounds sketchy when you talk/Email prior to committing, back out and don't look back.

This. Be up front. I'm generally clear with folks that once we set a meet terms are then firm, so questions need to be addressed ahead of time.

Guys, I understand about meeting in a good place, not concerned about being a shady person or area or anything like that. Just don't want to waste my time and trouble to travel to make the deal if the trader is not describing the gun properly. Just want to hear that most have had positive experiences.

Last edited:

To the OP:

My last few I have done an EFA-10 on my smartphone, no wifi. Worked out well, all you need is a little cell service.

Guys, I understand about meeting in a good place, not concerned about being a shady person or area or anything like that. Just don't want to waste my time and trouble to travel to make the deal if the trader is not describing the gun properly.
Like I said the deal favors me.
You ever call a car dealer and they tell you how great the condition is and when you get there it has rust, a few dents, etc and the dealer says, well it's an 8 yr old car what did you expect?

Just want to hear that most have had positive experiences.

put on your big boy pants and do the deal--or don't.

i've bought and sold so many guns/items i can't even remember them all. it really isn't as big of a deal as you're making it.

you're getting all torqued about the deal and it hasn't even been done yet. if i were the seller/trader and i happened upon this thread the deal between us would be off.

I've bought and sold a lot on NES. Never a problem. Good people here that I have dealt with. From dark parking lots to outside my workplace. And even at my home once.

YMMV

I think I'v made five non gun shop purchases from NES. My last one there was no feedback score. It was just for some ammo.

But two were done at a dunking donuts, two were done at a home depot and one was done at a staples. lmao...

Everyone was extremely nice. If an item came along that I wanted I wouldn't hesitate for a second to do business with anyone from here. Gun shop recommendations from here..same thing...

So not saying it is but if it is someone from here chances are you will be really happy with the transaction.

If you're worried about the condition of the firearm you're buying ask the seller to e mail some pictures that way no one wastes time, gas on the deal. Most if not all cell phone have pretty decent cameras these days so any imperfections will standout plus folks here on NES are stand up people and wouldn't try to sell you a pig in a poke .

I did my first private party purchase last week and can only report great things. I was lucky to be getting a wonderful deal on a LNIB g17 and the seller had over a dozen glowing reviews on iTrader. None the less I was going to a tougher area than my own, to a flakey gun shop to meet someone I didn't know to purchase a firearm. Needless to say, I still had some lingering feeling of apprehension. Showed up and the guy was super nice, we shot the shit and he showed me the gun while we waited for the flake shop owner to show up 30 min late and it was a very pleasant experience. Feel the guy out on the phone and don't worry about it.

The only time I was really freaked out by an NES transaction was when a guy accidentally shot himself in the leg the day after I sold him an old C&R pistol. His wife called me from the ER the next morning and was accusing me of selling him a "defective" gun. After he got out of surgery he called me and apologized for his wife berating me. He realized it was an old gun and that you probably shouldn't drop it on it's hammer from about 3 feet onto a hard surface. I haven't seen him post anything here in years so I don't feel bad about telling the story again for him. [laugh]

ive done around 25 sales through NES. all have been smooth. i would recommend trading/selling/buying through NES where there is an established rating system. I am a 26 year old dude so not sure where the concern over age is coming from. just saying

edit: exactly 25 lol

I've bought firearms from strangers, reloading stuff and ammo all from strangers. I've driven from Central MA to north east of Lowell for a deal before. Its a drive, but I drive an hour each way to work, driving doesn't bother me. I cant remember who I bought a 20ga sears and robuck SxS from but it was a deal, my ex wife thought I was retarded for buying such an old gun and gave me hell for how far I had to drive (hense ex-wife)
I love that shotty, its old but it has character. If the gun wasn't what I wanted then I went on a nice drive with the kind hearted polite and courteous Massachusetts drivers on the road.
I am also pragmatic and expect things to be a lot worse than they turn out to be. I'd rather be happy to get a 45 year old shotty that has a few scratches on the stock than expect a collector grade A+ firearm. Usually the price reflects the quality, but if it functions correctly and safely than thumbs up!
I sold some 7.62x54R when I first joined the forum, stupidly I thought it was AK ammo (spam can) and I didn't do my homework. I had no need for the ammo I priced it at 308 ammo. people politely told me to go f myself that this ammo isn't worth 1/3 that price. I sold it for 1/3 the price a guy off here came to my place gave me cash and I handed him the ammo after seeing his LTC.
It should be cut and paste operation. So you drive 2 hours and the gun sucked, drive two more back, stop at the store buy her some flowers and say 'honey you were right'

Trades usually suck, With a few exceptions, someone is usually getting screwed. I've done a few that were fair for both parties but its usually rare when both sides line up. It's easier to deal direct in cash whether buying or selling.

-Mike
Hmmm, not my experience generally. I sell guns after I've had them anywhere from months to years, usually because I've overextended myself financially and have to prioritize what I want to keep. Normally I take a bit of a hit, but they are guns I've used and there's some benefit derived from that. Some guns have made me lots of money, so in the long term I've probably broken even or am slightly down. Also, most people want a deal, as do I, but don't want to rip people off. You are right that some do get screwed, and there is a minority of people, including FFLs, who are suckubusses!

I sell guns after I've had them anywhere from months to years, usually because I've overextended myself financially and have to prioritize what I want to keep.

I generally hate the idea of selling any of my guns anymore, but I have done this many times, when money was very tight. I've kicked myself for doing it almost every single time. In the past several weeks I have been considering selling my WWII M1 carbine to help fund my upcoming wedding. Then I realize that if I did that, I'd have to tear up my mancard and never get it re-issued. F that. I like shooting my M1 carbine.

Hmmm, not my experience generally. I sell guns after I've had them anywhere from months to years, usually because I've overextended myself financially and have to prioritize what I want to keep. Normally I take a bit of a hit, but they are guns I've used and there's some benefit derived from that. Some guns have made me lots of money, so in the long term I've probably broken even or am slightly down. Also, most people want a deal, as do I, but don't want to rip people off. You are right that some do get screwed, and there is a minority of people, including FFLs, who are suckubusses!

I'm not talking about buying and selling, I'm talking about trades specifically. Usually in most trades I've seen, someone gets screwed.

-Mike

- - - Updated - - -

I generally hate the idea of selling any of my guns anymore, but I have done this many times, when money was very tight. I've kicked myself for doing it almost every single time.

I've probably sold dozens of guns but there were at least a half dozen that I regretted selling, the others I don't really care about. At this point though I pretty much hate selling anything, because anything I own at this point is something I went out of my way to get and not a spur of the moment deal.

-Mike

Getting screwed or making a good deal comes down to the eye of the beholder. You don't know the reason for the trade and it could be all kinds of things. Yes, there is always the possibility of getting a lemon, but with a gun a little home gunsmithing or change of ammo can fix most problems. I've done more sales/trades on NES then I can remember and only once was the handgun less then described. It was still within the parameters of my acceptability so we still did the sale. Plus if you get something you end up not liking it's now trade fodder for something else.

Getting screwed or making a good deal comes down to the eye of the beholder. You don't know the reason for the trade and it could be all kinds of things.

Yeah, I'm sure that there's a guy somewhere that traded a Ruger P95 for a Hi Point C9 and feels like he's a king, yeah, we get it... but in the real world, we all know the guy got screwed. There's perception and reality... the guy with the Crap Point will figure out he basically got nothing for his gun, might take him awhile, though. And yes, every trade isn't nearly that horrible, but a lot of them are, it's just that the guy on the shitty end of the trade lacks the objectivity to see that he's getting screwed.

Yes, there is always the possibility of getting a lemon, but with a gun a little home gunsmithing or change of ammo can fix most problems. I've done more sales/trades on NES then I can remember and only once was the handgun less then described. It was still within the parameters of my acceptability so we still did the sale. Plus if you get something you end up not liking it's now trade fodder for something else.

When smart people trade something this is probably the case. They don't settle for crap and they only trade for guns that are actually worth something. Still, I just find the whole thing inefficient and the process contains pressures that aren't present in a normal transaction. I'd rather just turn the gun into cash and then use the cash to buy something else.

Then again I'm probably jaded because I'm not interested in as many guns as some are. I used to impulse buy and be interested in the same kind of random crap that lots of other shooters buy. It took me like 10 years but I figured out this is a huge waste of money and the interest level in these one off/impulse buy guns fades quickly. At this point I go into a typical gun store and 75% of the inventory, in my eyes, is like cans of "hospital beige" paint. I don't impulse buy anymore either, or hardly ever, unless it's a gun that happens to be on my list, which could probably fit on less than 3 index cards. [laugh]

-Mike

I've probably sold dozens of guns but there were at least a half dozen that I regretted selling, the others I don't really care about. At this point though I pretty much hate selling anything, because anything I own at this point is something I went out of my way to get and not a spur of the moment deal.

-Mike

I still make spur of the moment purchases, just like when I first got into firearms. The difference is, nowadays I know a hell of a lot more than I did when I was 19, and I know what I like and what I don't. At 21 to 23 or so, I was buying up random pistols left and right and I've sold the majority of those guns I bought in my early LTC days. I still have my series 70 Colt though, the second handgun I ever bought. That would be one of the last to go if I ever had to get rid of my collection.

Caveat Emptor.

That being said, I've never been disappointed with a firearm purchase. Either the manufacturer stands behind their product, or I dont buy it.

I'm sure lots of trades or purchases are done with people you don't know so I'm wondering how those transactions went? I purchased a revolver through someone I know who introduced me to an older gentleman and that went fine but now I'm thinking of trading firearms with someone I don't know and I believe is a young man age 24. So how many of you rejected trades or purchases once you examined the gun? My wife is telling me not to buy from someone I don't know. (My wife is usually right).

BTW, the "deal" is very positive for me, I will make out like a bandit. That also makes me leery.
I'm really trying to figure out how to respond to this? Hopefully you know a LOT of people who own a LOT of firearms or your opportunity to trade/purchase firearms is going to be very limited.

Back
Top Bottom