Tonight, Westford will be considering zoning bans on firearm stores.

residents crave to be dominated and oppressed, nothing new about it. society at all is not wanting any freedom at all, as is. all they want is to be provided with benefits.
The average citizen abhors confrontations because we were raised to walk away from fights and avoid confrontations. They want to be protected from violence without the Police committing violence to protect them. The college educated Leftist believes the State should protect them with magic wands and social workers who can pacify violent criminals with free shit. These fools don't live in the real World, never served in the Army or Marine Corps, never handled a firearm and live in a bubble. Even if they are robbed and assaulted, they'd blame White Supremacy for turning Ghetto rats into violent criminals.

Dont worry. This will be delayed until the summer when all the working pro2A people are out of town then they will quietly shuffle it through.

2k LTC holders in Town only a handful show up that’s why they win we loose I personally don’t care if there is a gun store in town it’s the point!
I went to make sure they understood that the 85 stores were not like Walmart and Challenged them to do their homework because there is only 7-8 active stores. One selectman asked if the 85 gun stores had to leave Littleton now could they open in Westford now and out came the fear factor of yes ….. that’s why I had to say something

Just for a bump, Westford is scheduled to hold a meeting this coming Monday 8/21 at 19:00 This seems to be to determine if the amendment will be brought to town meeting.

Hopefully enough well spoken folks will be available to help put the brakes on new regulations.

Just got the email from GOAL. They wanna classify it as a firearms business? Wow.

Article 9

ZONING BYLAW AMENDMENT
Amend the Zoning Bylaw to Define and Regulate Firearm
Select Board and Businesses and Related Terms
PlanningBoard To see-if theTown will vote to amend Appendix A(Table of Principle Use Regulations) and Section 10.2 (Definitions) of theZoning Bylaw,and to Create anew Section 6.6 of the Zoning Bylaw, to regulate by Special Permit the location, siting, design, placement, security, safety, monitoring and other requirements for Firearms Businesses in the Town of Westford; and to enumerate criteria for the establishment of Firearm Businesses in town to address public safety concerns arising from the use of land, buildings, and structures for the operation of such businesses, and the potential disruption of peace and quiet enjoyment of the community, and related changes, copies of which are on file at the Office of-the Planning Board and on the Town's website at https://www.westfordma.gov/DocumentCenter/Index/1494;“

I believe Westford requires a professional to show your case to the PB so no personal representation is allowed.

250/hr sounds about right. No cap allowed.

Just got the email from GOAL. They wanna classify it as a firearms business? Wow.

Article 9

ZONING BYLAW AMENDMENT
Amend the Zoning Bylaw to Define and Regulate Firearm
Select Board and Businesses and Related Terms
PlanningBoard To see-if theTown will vote to amend Appendix A(Table of Principle Use Regulations) and Section 10.2 (Definitions) of theZoning Bylaw,and to Create anew Section 6.6 of the Zoning Bylaw, to regulate by Special Permit the location, siting, design, placement, security, safety, monitoring and other requirements for Firearms Businesses in the Town of Westford; and to enumerate criteria for the establishment of Firearm Businesses in town to address public safety concerns arising from the use of land, buildings, and structures for the operation of such businesses, and the potential disruption of peace and quiet enjoyment of the community, and related changes, copies of which are on file at the Office of-the Planning Board and on the Town's website at https://www.westfordma.gov/DocumentCenter/Index/1494;“

Per https://westfordma.gov/DocumentCent...Firearms_2023-09-20_FINAL_Spacing-for-webpage they specifically exempt pre-existing businesses.
6.6.4 Exemption. This Section is not intended to apply to any business for which site plan approval was obtained prior to the date of enactment of this Section.
Maybe I'm whistling past the graveyard, but claiming that this will affect Westford Sportsmen's, like @GOAL did in the email, seems to turn attention away from actual problems to something that's easy to refute. If we want to be taken seriously, we have to behave seriously.

Ugly details here. Unless GOAL sells "firearms accessories," I don't think they'd be considered a firearms business.
GOAL isn't in Westford. (They're in Northborough.) Westford Sportsmen's Club is. In their email, they claim that this is what we should be up in arms about, because the town is trying to shut down the club.

WSC is NOT the only club in town.

Just sayin.
It doesn't matter. You can't change a zoning by-law and make a current business/property suddenly illegal. However, any changes to the property after the by-law change must comply with the by-law current at that time. So it is restrictive and undesirable.

It doesn't matter. You can't change a zoning by-law and make a current business/property suddenly illegal. However, any changes to the property after the by-law change must comply with the by-law current at that time. So it is restrictive and undesirable.
It also places the the property into a “must use” the appeals board process for any and all changes.
Building a freaking porch requires a full review of all changes.
My lawyer and engineers worked thru it after the town changed the definition on our fully signed off and almost completed subdivision at zero cost. It was much less work and money but a huge pain in the ass.

The town of Carlisle changed the rules after the fact on a nearly completed project. The PB is immune to lawsuits, proper rules and conduct who also proved to be the worst department in town to deal with and that was a very high bar. The most unprofessional group ever.

Also believe if the business in question shrinks in size, after a certain period of time then can no longer expand.

There are some protections regarding relocation of ranges on the property contained in the statute protecting ranges from noise ordinances enacted after the range was first put into use.

Also believe if the business in question shrinks in size, after a certain period of time then can no longer expand.
When they change the rules it places everyone into to ZBA. That’s a huge problem.
They do not have to allow grandfathering.

It’s a hot mess when you get deep into weeds. They are cherry picking the rules they create. Let’s change the zoning in Westford to 2 acre minimum lot size and see how many people get pissed off. In this example they are only picking on a very small population who frankly most don’t GAF about.

WSC was the first club I joined. I can’t tell you how many brain cells I killed putting the finish on the brand new floors in that club house when the frame was placed on top of that foundation.

After driving by all the anti-2A protesters on Westford Common this afternoon, MIL stated that "...they've been told at the senior center that all the gun shops from Littleton want to relocate to Westford..." That's why she's voting Yes to the new restrictions in Article 9. I told her the facts.
Reminder that town meeting is at Westford Academy this Monday night at 7. Get there early. I'll be there

Defeated, and it’s way past my bedtime.
Yes, it was late. Thanks to all, everyone was well-behaved and respectful. A lot of people showed up. The gym was at capacity, overflow was in the auditorium, which did make things take longer.
Yes, Article 9 was defeated, but not without drama. After voting (but before votes were tallied) many left the meeting. It was late, and many thought that it was over except for the count.
As was forewarned, after votes were tallied (it took at least 10-15 minutes (but seemed longer)) and we won, the COP made a motion to bring the Article back up for consideration with amendments, but the amendments were not clear. That meant another vote was possible. That was not well-received. After a lot of chaos and back and forth, the COP withdrew his motion.
Apparently, the town did this "motion to reconsider" move several years ago, voting for additional restrictions on hunting after the initial vote was no (after many left the meeting).
Special thanks to whoever described the possibility of the "motion to consider", cautioning us to stay until the end.
I'm not sure of the actual town meeting terminologies, but I think I got it close.

Back
Top Bottom