To All Mass Residents Thinking of Leaving

Regarding car registration, I find it to be comparable to MA Excise. Other thing that sucks, is that they do it by birth month. I have three cars in my name, so registering and inspecting all of them in one month is a pain.

You can do inspections several months in advance of you birth month to break it up a bit. Read a few posts back.

"It is actually up to 6 months prior. The mechanic I use loves this because it allows him to help out his customers who drive older vehicles that are starting to have emissions problems (damn feds). They will take the car in for something unrelated to inspection and he will run an emissions test if it is 6 months or less prior to their birth month and if it passes he will put a sticker on."

Your mechanic should read the laws, the earliest you can do an inspection is 3 months.

For anybody looking to make an offer on a house in New Hampshire, before you commit, get a copy of the deed (usually available online) and check for restrictive conditions, covenants and restrictions (CC&R). Even outside of a HOA, some properties come saddled with odd covenants. That said, some CC&R are obsolete (my deed mentions a road that no longer exists), and most are unenforced if not unenforceable.

Unless the septic field has failed and can't be rebuilt in place, you shouldn't get too much pushback from the town -- they want your property taxes, and major improvements and an extra bedroom means a higher assessment.

There are a few towns with strict zoning; the exception, not the rule.

It's waterfront. Septic is >50 feet from the shoreline, but I worry about what things the town / state will allow.

"It is actually up to 6 months prior. The mechanic I use loves this because it allows him to help out his customers who drive older vehicles that are starting to have emissions problems (damn feds). They will take the car in for something unrelated to inspection and he will run an emissions test if it is 6 months or less prior to their birth month and if it passes he will put a sticker on."

Your mechanic should read the laws, the earliest you can do an inspection is 3 months.

That's what I thought.

Well the wife and I are planning on retiring early, within the next 10-12 years. We should be all set as we've planned accordingly for some time. We have our potential places maped/picked out and are always researching at least daily. We've made trips to a few places as vacations to RECONN and check things out etc. I won't list our reasons/critira and what we wan't etc but so fare they are listed below in order of precedence.

1. NC
2. SC
3. FL
4. AZ

Cant do the early retirement and we are locked into MA until my daughter graduates high school (junior yr) and my parents (who live in our in-law apt) pass on.....but the target destinations above align with those of my wife and I

Next spring/summer, we are going to visit Charlotte, Raleigh/Durham, Charleston and perhaps Savannah as part of the "College Sweep & Relocation Tour". The greater Charlotte area is a strong contender for relo, as a number of my wife's friends have gone there and love it

I have a coworker who is now 100% remote, living in Mooresville - right across the street from Lake Norman. He is deliriously happy after escaping Mansfield, MA

Cant do the early retirement and we are locked into MA until my daughter graduates high school (junior yr) and my parents (who live in our in-law apt) pass on.....but the target destinations above align with those of my wife and I

Next spring/summer, we are going to visit Charlotte, Raleigh/Durham, Charleston and perhaps Savannah as part of the "College Sweep & Relocation Tour". The greater Charlotte area is a strong contender for relo, as a number of my wife's friends have gone there and love it

I have a coworker who is now 100% remote, living in Mooresville - right across the street from Lake Norman. He is deliriously happy after escaping Mansfield, MA

What's with everyone and Nawth Cahuhlineuh? The South has two states that don't have income taxes - TN and FL. I would start there, especially if you're retiring.

Awesome article! I like this excerpt:

...For openers, state law in RSA 110-B provides for the New Hampshire militia to be divided into three classes, namely the National Guard, the State Guard and the Unorganized Militia. The State Guard consists of those persons who are called up if needed when the National Guard is out of state in active service of the United States.

Finally, every “able bodied” resident in the state age 18 or older is in the Unorganized Militia.

The law provides that when necessary in either a disaster, an invasion or an insurrection, the governor may call for the Unorganized Militia to come forward with as many volunteers as may be necessary.

If there aren’t enough, the law even provides for a draft. Another provision of state law says that the militia, meaning virtually everyone reading this article, may be called forth if the United States requires it.

Our state Constitution provides very simply that everyone has “the right to keep and bear arms in defense of themselves, their families, their property and the state.” Thus the right to bear arms under the state Constitution is not in any way connected to the so-called “militia clause” of the Second Amendment....

What's with everyone and Nawth Cahuhlineuh? The South has two states that don't have income taxes - TN and FL. I would start there, especially if you're retiring.

Your money goes further down south even after paying income tax than in it would in NH with no income tax.

NH house for rent...

...in the Manchester area (not in the city, not in the boonies) with plenty of room for two or three pro-2A people to live comfortably. It's very convenient to the major highways (1/2 hour to MA border), restaurants, grocery shopping, etc. while also being in a private setting. If you may be interested in renting such a place within the next few months (special deals for NES members), please PM me to discuss it.

Your money goes further down south even after paying income tax than in it would in NH with no income tax.

Doesn't answer the question of why NC. TN and FL have no income tax, like I said earlier.

I've been to NC and I've looked up the gun laws. Seems like the last place I'd want to live.

Doesn't answer the question of why NC. TN and FL have no income tax, like I said earlier.

I've been to NC and I've looked up the gun laws. Seems like the last place I'd want to live.

I think if I had to make a run south for what ever reason, eastern TN is probably where I would start to look.

Not to incur Mike's wrath but my buddy moved to NC this past spring. Con Carry is up for a vote this November and has a damn good chance of passing.

Otherwise the cost of living is far less than the northeast and despite the income tax haven, you couldn't pay me enough to live in Tn. Fla is 50/50 retirees/ghetto. There are few places comfortably in the middle.

Back to NH. For those of you who made the move from MA, what was the net tax effect?

Not to incur Mike's wrath but my buddy moved to NC this past spring. Con Carry is up for a vote this November and has a damn good chance of passing.

Otherwise the cost of living is far less than the northeast and despite the income tax haven, you couldn't pay me enough to live in Tn. Fla is 50/50 retirees/ghetto. There are few places comfortably in the middle.

Back to NH. For those of you who made the move from MA, what was the net tax effect?

This isn't a NH specific thread, NH is just the easy option and there are a bunch of us that have done it sharing our experience. If there is good info on other states, by all means share it.

Because people like NC more than TN or FL? While income tax is a factor when choosing a place to retire, for many people it's not a huge factor because many peoples retirement income is pretty tax efficient. NC also doesn't tax Social Security. Before you respond back I realize TN and FL also don't tax SS.[wink]

A lot of people prefer to be closer to the coast.

I spent some time in western VA/eastern KY some years back. While it is a pretty place, and inexpensive, it isn't the place for me.

I doubt TN would be high on my list.

But you have to love the heat or you will be miserable. I hate the heat so NH was best for me.
I hear that. I had an opportunity to live in FL a couple years back. The gun laws were good, cost of living was low and I could shoot in the back yard, but the heat was unbearable. I made it a couple months down there before I said F this and hightailed it back up the coast. NH is where it's at.

North / South Carolina because you still get 4 distinct seasons, you have a lower cost of living and there is a decent job market. Charlotte has taken over as the financial services center of the NorthEast (my line of work) , there is the Research Technology Triangle in Raleigh / Durham / Chapel Hill and statewide there are opptys in the energy field (wife's line of work). The folks in the Carolinas call people who move up from Florida to there "half-backs", because the folks from the norther states go to FL and then come halfway back.

Someone else noted that Florida is either retiree / ghetto, which is true - plus their heat and humidity starts too early and ends too late. Their consumption tax in Florida is another sneaky item; they tax everything you purchase.

Personally, I love Texas - I was there for over 9 months on a job and it was great, but the wife isnt down with relocation to The Lonestar State. In both North & South Carolina, she already has friends who have relo'd and having the way partially paved helps alot.

There is no going further north - when we finally flee Massachusetts, it will be to a warmer climate

Charlotte is retail banking, they have not even made a dent as the "financial services center of the northeast". Plus Charlotte is a couple hours from the ocean.

If I am moving, cost of living is a single factor. It HAS to be near the ocean because quality of life is just as important to us. That's the down side of NC but the upside to SC: Where the jobs are. However, cost of living is a direct reflection of economic opportunity.

Tax question for those that have moved to NH from MA who purchased a house. What has been your though on which cost more. Paying MA income, sales, etc. tax or paying Property Tax in NH? Trying to gauge if it's more expensive to live up there compared to MA. It will probably be subjective, but though I'd as what people thought.

Also, is there anyone commuting back to MA to work. My wife surprised me today and said she would be OK with moving to NH. I was shocked. I'm wondering what I'd be looking at commute wise from NH down to the Canton/Braintree/Quincy area?

Thanks.

Tax question for those that have moved to NH from MA who purchased a house. What has been your though on which cost more. Paying MA income, sales, etc. tax or paying Property Tax in NH? Trying to gauge if it's more expensive to live up there compared to MA. It will probably be subjective, but though I'd as what people thought.

Also, is there anyone commuting back to MA to work. My wife surprised me today and said she would be OK with moving to NH. I was shocked. I'm wondering what I'd be looking at commute wise from NH down to the Canton/Braintree/Quincy area?

Thanks.

You have to be more specific in regards to taxes - I don't own a house but I do know that tax rates on property vary wildly in NH. General rule though is the fewer people in the town, the less "social services" it will have, therefore the less property taxes you will have. Or, if the town is say a tourist town like the towns around Winnepesaukee. There's a spreadsheet somewhere on here with tax rates in NH and there's the big map.

NH to Quincy/Braintree would suck because your options are a straight shot down 93 or going all the way around on 128. I've done those routes and they get clogged at like 5:30am. It could be done, but it wouldn't be fun.

The big map:

taxes.png

Thanks.

I've had lots of coworkers who commute to Mass. I think going all the way down to the city or Quincy would really suck. Tons of traffic going down 93 and Rt 3, while 95 south is a breeze.

The income tax vs property tax is relatively small compared to the cost of buying a house. But it depends on your income, 6 figures and you're paying a hefty income tax.

Second hand info, but a lady in work commutes Londonderry to Chelsea via 93 and hates it. Said its an hour and a half. Another guy commutes Raymond to Chelsea via 95 and says its no big deal. Dont remember his drive time, might of been an hour or a bit less. Im in Danvers MA and usually its 45 minutes or so, sometimes around an hour. (128s to rte1s)

Back
Top Bottom