To All Mass Residents Thinking of Leaving

My wife and I have been on the fence for a few years. We are both active IDPA shooters and this last batch of crap from the AG is the last straw. We have decided to make the move north. Not an easy decision but in the long run probably the best.

The general plan now is to clean and empty the house of 20+ years of crap, give it a once over and put it on the market ideally this fall but realistically more like the spring. In the mean time start deciding where we want to go however in general we are thinking in the Concord area. Easy access to the lakes region and mountains but close enough to Manchester and Nashua. The big question is work. I should be able to land something in one of the cities but it is hard to know. Mid/Late 50s white guy who does IT and network security might be problematic however the fact that I have worked for banks and insurance companies keeps some doors open.

Push out of the cities a little and things get pretty rural, and cheap, quick. Look hard at your commute criteria and go to the edge of it, I am betting you find exactly what you are looking for. Where I am, I can be in any of the 4 southern cities in an hour during "rush hour", so if I ever really have to find work, it should be stomach-able. I am also technically in the southern edge of Lakes Region.

Last edited:
The big question is work. I should be able to land something in one of the cities but it is hard to know. Mid/Late 50s white guy who does IT and network security might be problematic however the fact that I have worked for banks and insurance companies keeps some doors open.

I'm not in security, but it probably wouldn't hurt if you had time to attend something like http://www.meetup.com/mhtmakerspace/events/dtzcwlyvnbhb/

quote-you-may-all-go-to-hell-and-i-will-go-to-texas-davy-crockett-44401.jpg

*NES Members excluded from the GTH part. [wink]

The only difference between Hell and Texas?
The class of the people...

I rode across part of Texas, back around 91?? Rode from CT down to Port Royal in Virginia, then across to Plano, TX. That is a big-ass state, coming from New England. Rode over to Beale street in Memphis, then up to Missouri before riding back to CT. My friends in Texas refer to New England as the "six states before breakfast" land.

I lived in Manchvegas for a couple of years. Have ALWAYS wanted to get back there but my jobs have all ended up south shore (I grew up down here in Rochester). I've been working on the wife to move back, but she works in South Boston making BOOKU bucks that she would not make anywhere else except maybe NY city. Also, she is a city girl and can't stand country life (you know, like Rochester, lol) which I definitely prefer. Also, her Dad is ill, and she is is like the only kid responsible enough to look after him.

Needless to say, it may be awhile before we can hit the eject button. And even then, I think it may be south, not north. I prefer the warm weather and detest winter. Maybe FLA? Who knows, one can only dream at this point.

I lived in Manchvegas for a couple of years. Have ALWAYS wanted to get back there...
I'm not in security, but it probably wouldn't hurt if you had time to attend something like http://www.meetup.com/mhtmakerspace/events/dtzcwlyvnbhb/
Speaking of Manchvegas, did you notice the address for the security meetup is next door to Club Manchvegas?

I heard the jokes about "Manchvegas" when I first moved up, didn't know it was an actual place, though I've heard the gambling is now further off the main drag...

I am not worried about my education, qualifications or work history. To be honest it the old white guy aspect that worries me more.

If we sell down here in MA paying cash for a place up north is not an issue and have some $ left over. Problem is I am to young to retire and also need to worry about health benefits. I need to work about another 8 to 10 years.

I recently made the move to NH, but for me it was a no brainer and extremely painless.

First, I have been working in NH and paying MA income tax for the past 13 years.

My youngest kid just graduated HS and I had fulfilled my promise to stay put until that happened.

As the youngest turns 18, the time has come to file a divorce that is about 6 years overdue (she moved out and left me with the kids and the house)

Along with all that came the need to sell the house and divide up the equity. No way was I going to pay extra to buy her out and stay in MA.

With three kids in college this fall, I made the genius financial decision to pay $20k in cash for a mobile home in NH. I now have no mortgage, my lot fee is less than what my MA income tax has been, I have enough room for the kids when they come home for school breaks, but no yard work and minimal maintenance.

When the dust settles next month, I will be living freely in NH, on approximately 1/5 of my salary. I can help out the kids with a big chunk of their college costs and still save enough to accelerate my retirement to around age 55.

I realize that this program wouldn't work for everybody, but the timing of it all has worked beautifully for me, and the nonsense last week was just confirmation that I will never look back.

I am thoroughly impressed at your planning! It isn't a route for everyone, but by god, no matter what a person does, they need to do at LEAST the amount of planning you did! Well done!

I am not worried about my education, qualifications or work history. To be honest it the old white guy aspect that worries me more.

If we sell down here in MA paying cash for a place up north is not an issue and have some $ left over. Problem is I am to young to retire and also need to worry about health benefits. I need to work about another 8 to 10 years.

Sometimes it's not what you know...

The FSP is run by cucky left wing degenerates. If you don't believe me, look at the line up for this year's PorcFest. Topics include polyamory and the superpowers of having autism.

New Hampshire is being encroached on by leftists from Massachusetts. I wouldn't be surprised if in twenty years, it's no longer Live Free or Die as the name of the game. Instead, come to middle America. I left MA for Kansas just under two years ago. It's still America out here, not only in terms of guns, but culturally as well.

Bonus: I haven't sat in traffic more than ten times in two years. As soon as I leave Logan Airport for the annual visit to my folks', boom, bumper to bumper traffic.

Massachusetts is a sinking ship, and one not worth fighting for. Sometimes in order to win, you have to withdraw to a more defendable position, consolidate, and counterattack.

The FSP is run by cucky left wing degenerates. If you don't believe me, look at the line up for this year's PorcFest. Topics include polyamory and the superpowers of having autism.

New Hampshire is being encroached on by leftists from Massachusetts. I wouldn't be surprised if in twenty years, it's no longer Live Free or Die as the name of the game. Instead, come to middle America. I left MA for Kansas just under two years ago. It's still America out here, not only in terms of guns, but culturally as well.

Bonus: I haven't sat in traffic more than ten times in two years. As soon as I leave Logan Airport for the annual visit to my folks', boom, bumper to bumper traffic.

Massachusetts is a sinking ship, and one not worth fighting for. Sometimes in order to win, you have to withdraw to a more defendable position, consolidate, and counterattack.

No one wants your useless opinion of NH, that is not the point of this thread. Keep it in Kansas.

FSP/Libertarian circles in NH aren't a single culture.

The loud ones are the "Drugs and Dispbedience" crowd - mostly in Keene and Manchester.
There's a sizable "Marriage and Mortgage" contingent as well - usually settled more into the country - that are more bourgeois family values types that just don't want their taxes raised or guns outlawed.

It's not Kansas or South Carolina to be sure - but it's a good middle ground for those who don't want to be a thousand miles from family AND don't want to end up in jail over some BS AG.

Um, the thread opened with Free State Project links. I merely stated that NH is danger close to being a satellite of the Glorious PRM.

The thread opened with a clear statement, it is to help people who are looking to leave MA. The OP and most the people helping in this thread are in NH, so that is the bulk of the information being shared. If you wanted to post something useful and beneficial to anyone looking, some information about your state of residence would have been valid to the topic of conversation and appreciated. Instead you decided to kick the door open with a retarded word like "cucky", tried to shit on NH, and offered nothing to further the conversation. So I say again, keep your useless opinion of NH to yourself, in Kansas.

- - - Updated - - -

It's just crazy to move before November 8th.

If Hillary wins there will be no refuge in America for us.

More useless off topic nonsense. Keep it in the trump thread.

The thread opened with a clear statement, it is to help people who are looking to leave MA. The OP and most the people helping in this thread are in NH, so that is the bulk of the information being shared. If you wanted to post something useful and beneficial to anyone looking, some information about your state of residence would have been valid to the topic of conversation and appreciated. Instead you decided to kick the door open with a retarded word like "cucky", tried to shit on NH, and offered nothing to further the conversation. So I say again, keep your useless opinion of NH to yourself, in Kansas.

- - - Updated - - -

Yup, and Yup. I'm in this thread for resources and questions from people who've made the move from Ma to NH, or live in NH. Don't clog it up with bullshit.

Yup, and Yup. I'm in this thread for resources and questions from people who've made the move from Ma to NH, or live in NH. Don't clog it up with bullshit.

- - - Updated - - -

+ a billion.

Next person to shitpost MA-type whiner/pant shitter bullshit "wah NH will be just like it, etc" in this thread gets a 30 day vacation.

-Mike

Depends on who has control of Congress. Obama's been standing on one pile of dead bodies after another to push for more gun control at the federal level and has gotten bupkis.

If Clinton gets elected, she gets to pick SCOTUS justices. Faced with an anti- leaning SCOTUS, the "usual suspect" states (CA, NJ, NY, MD, MA, HI) might be emboldened to pass more restrictive laws, but, the rest of the states are leaning towards loosening up their laws no matter what happens in D.C.

If you guys want to argue the merits of moving and Clinton beating Trump, start a new thread.

So to actually get back on topic......

One question I always had, was about the weird excise tax system NH uses for Vehicles. I realize its collected at registration time, but is there some kind of formula/calculator that can be used? I'm guessing it also deteriorates progressively like MA's does but it is administered differently (with "registration fees" instead).

-Mike

That wasn't in response at all to you @Mike. Just general info.

Vehicle registration is confusing in NH. There is both a state fee and a town fee. Most towns allow you to pay the state part at the town office preventing you from having to go to a state DMV office (which makes it appear that the town is taking all of your monies when they aren't taking all of it, just most of it).

Each town is responsible for determining their own fees. Here's Manchester as an example... https://www.manchesternh.gov/Depart...otor-Vehicle-Registration/Explanation-of-Fees

One question I always had, was about the weird excise tax system NH uses for Vehicles. I realize its collected at registration time, but is there some kind of formula/calculator that can be used? I'm guessing it also deteriorates progressively like MA's does but it is administered differently (with "registration fees" instead).

-Mike

In addition to what nhpoke said, most towns have a calculator feature on the Town Clerk's website that allows you to get a decent guestimate on how much it'll cost. It's not just Manchester.

In addition to what nhpoke said, most towns have a calculator feature on the Town Clerk's website that allows you to get a decent guestimate on how much it'll cost. It's not just Manchester.
Additionally, you can deduct half of it from your taxable income when you do your taxes. But.... I always forget whether it is the state fee or the town fee, and I have to look up the info again each time I file the tax return.

I do find the excise taxes aren't any less than they were in MA, which is unfortunate, but they do taper off quickly as the car ages like they do in MA.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

Additionally, you can deduct half of it from your taxable income when you do your taxes. But.... I always forget whether it is the state fee or the town fee, and I have to look up the info again each time I file the tax return.

I do find the excise taxes aren't any less than they were in MA, which is unfortunate, but they do taper off quickly as the car ages like they do in MA.

For me coming from RI, it was a big change. RIDMV charges 7% sales tax on the vehicle plus fees for the plates and a couple others. So for my current motorcycle, it would've been about $500 to register my $6500 OTD motorcycle. In my town in NH, it wasn't even $200.

Another thing is if you drive a clunker car like I often do. Lets say you see problems in it's near future that may cause it to fail inspection. You're allowed to go in 3 or 4 months before your sticker expires (birth month) for inspection. Then you"re good to go till the following years birth month or 15-16 months before your due again. This can help you keep a car on the road for a little longer when you're in a pinch. I don't know all the details but depending on the year a certain number of faults are also allowable as long as they are not safety related like rotted frame for instance. Check engine faults are not automatic fails on older cars.

What income tax? I thought NH has no income tax. What am I missing here?

Also the registration fees and excise tax seems hopelessly complicated. I assume there is no spreadsheet laying out all cities/towns and fees (even per thousand value for the car)?

We have been looking for the right house for a couple years now. It has been tough to find the right place just over the border in NH since we both work in MA. Moving to NH has had its challenges with the tax rate of border towns, extra kids daycare, and commute issues etc...

Had a couple offers in on two houses in ma and couldn't come to an agreement on price so we did not get them. Guess it was a good thing now.

Had an offer in on one in NH on the 18th and they countered way too high. Suddenly this ag bs made the sellers counter offer more justifiable in my mind. Then on the 1st I just found another one that would work, good house, land and fits the budget in a rural town in mass. Two weeks ago I would have tried to get it now not so sure

If you decide to leave and your questions have not been answered here look me up or any other the other NH posters in this thread and we will do our best to get you answers.

My wife and I have been on the fence for a few years. We are both active IDPA shooters and this last batch of crap from the AG is the last straw. We have decided to make the move north. Not an easy decision but in the long run probably the best.

The general plan now is to clean and empty the house of 20+ years of crap, give it a once over and put it on the market ideally this fall but realistically more like the spring. In the mean time start deciding where we want to go however in general we are thinking in the Concord area. Easy access to the lakes region and mountains but close enough to Manchester and Nashua. The big question is work. I should be able to land something in one of the cities but it is hard to know. Mid/Late 50s white guy who does IT and network security might be problematic however the fact that I have worked for banks and insurance companies keeps some doors open.

Liberty Mutual in Dover is hiring for like 40 IT positions right now. My roommate was just looking at them and saw several senior positions (including one in network security) and they were all paying at least $100K/year.

Found the network security one. Not sure if there was only one or if there were multiple. Most of the positions look to be senior level/management.

https://lmig.taleo.net/careersection/lmigcorp/jobdetail.ftl?job=1026929&src=JB-10380

(In case the link doesn't work here is the job title: Principal Information Security Analyst-76437)

As someone who knows the leadership of the FSP I can confidently state you are 100% wrong. If you are a fervent social conservative and or religious conservative who wants to impose your values/beliefs on others, NH is most certainly not the place for you. You would be better served moving to South Carolina where there is a church every five miles (unlike New England where there is a Dunks every five miles lol) and everyone talks religion and guns (my parents moved down there and attest to this). In NH we talk politics and guns.

-Mike

There is a system. The state fee side is set more or less in stone (the legislature tweaks it every now and then) Currently it is about $40 I believe. Or $80 if you have a vanity plate like I do.

http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rsa/html/XXI/261/261-141.htm

The town rate is a bit more complicated and will vary from town to town. It is also more than the state fee.

http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rsa/html/XXI/261/261-153.htm

When I bought my 2008 Fusion in 2010 (used) for like $16K I think I paid $400 to register it (including the $80 vanity plate state fee). Now it is down to $160 total and has remained that since last year. I'd love to get it lowered but I honestly don't see that happening anytime soon.

Another thing is if you drive a clunker car like I often do. Lets say you see problems in it's near future that may cause it to fail inspection. You're allowed to go in 3 or 4 months before your sticker expires (birth month) for inspection. Then you"re good to go till the following years birth month or 15-16 months before your due again. This can help you keep a car on the road for a little longer when you're in a pinch. I don't know all the details but depending on the year a certain number of faults are also allowable as long as they are not safety related like rotted frame for instance. Check engine faults are not automatic fails on older cars.

It is actually up to 6 months prior. The mechanic I use loves this because it allows him to help out his customers who drive older vehicles that are starting to have emissions problems (damn feds). They will take the car in for something unrelated to inspection and he will run an emissions test if it is 6 months or less prior to their birth month and if it passes he will put a sticker on.

Also the registration fees and excise tax seems hopelessly complicated. I assume there is no spreadsheet laying out all cities/towns and fees (even per thousand value for the car)?

He is referring to the federal income tax. You can deduct your car registration (the town portion IIRC) from your federal income taxes. It is only worth while if you can itemize your deductions. As a single person with no mortgage, I never have enough things to itemize so I see zero benefit from deducting my car registration. But for some people it can be that extra nudge needed to get more back.

I use TurboTax and I gave NH nothing and I got back nothing from NH. You only really pay NH if you have corporate income tax or on dividends.

Talk to an accountant.

I do believe that most towns publish the vehicle rates/$1000 on their websites. I am new to the whole process, but here was my experience:

I went to town hall to register my three cars and a motorcycle. The cars are a 2012 Caravan, 2005 Focus, 1999 Impreza, and 1988 Honda bike. Obviously, not a lot of book value in this fleet. The 1999 and 1988 did not get new titles because they are too old, so I had to pay for two new titles, and four registrations based on the waning value of my vehicles. My total for this whole transaction was $510.

The DMV did prorate my kids driver's licenses based on the fact that they have to get new ones when they turn 21. My 20 year old was only $10, my 19 year old was $20. I had to pay $50 plus the bike endorsement, which I think was $30.

I was happy to pay whatever it cost to erase the state of MA from my life.

The best part was the $10 fee for a P&R license, and the turnaround time was less than one day.

Regarding car registration, I find it to be comparable to MA Excise. Other thing that sucks, is that they do it by birth month. I have three cars in my name, so registering and inspecting all of them in one month is a pain.

Wife and I are looking at properties in SoNH. Headed up to meet the town building inspector and health officer to see if they can give some insight into one we're very interested in. I think it's gonna need everything (new septic, roofing, siding, windows, and a 3-car garage with MBR over it). Want to make sure they'll greenlight the addition (esp. the septic) before we make a lowball offer on the house & land.

It's 8 acres (550 yds by 200 feet), so I foresee putting up some ladder stands in my future, if not a "treehouse" (hunting blind with a roof).

IME, the town inspectors worry about fire code and septic, all else is a rubber stamp

For anybody looking to make an offer on a house in New Hampshire, before you commit, get a copy of the deed (usually available online) and check for restrictive conditions, covenants and restrictions (CC&R). Even outside of a HOA, some properties come saddled with odd covenants. That said, some CC&R are obsolete (my deed mentions a road that no longer exists), and most are unenforced if not unenforceable.

Wife and I are looking at properties in SoNH. Headed up to meet the town building inspector and health officer to see if they can give some insight into one we're very interested in. I think it's gonna need everything (new septic, roofing, siding, windows, and a 3-car garage with MBR over it). Want to make sure they'll greenlight the addition (esp. the septic) before we make a lowball offer on the house & land.
Unless the septic field has failed and can't be rebuilt in place, you shouldn't get too much pushback from the town -- they want your property taxes, and major improvements and an extra bedroom means a higher assessment.

There are a few towns with strict zoning; the exception, not the rule.

Back
Top Bottom