To All Mass Residents Thinking of Leaving

Culture Shock

5vxix1.jpg

Seems like everybody has a vanity plate, yet if you're willing to be creative about spelling and symbols, even moose jokes can be had.
68skrb.jpg

Certain beverages are not distributed in New Hampshire, for example, Yuengling. But on the upside:
doxv80.jpg

5vxix1.jpg

Seems like everybody has a vanity plate, yet if you're willing to be creative about spelling and symbols, even moose jokes can be had.
68skrb.jpg

Certain beverages are not distributed in New Hampshire, for example, Yuengling. But on the upside:
doxv80.jpg

There is also that stupid law that prohibits the sale of Founders Breakfast Stout because of it's label, but hey, no where is perfect. [wink]

Beer label law == Repealed 6/2015

There is also that stupid law that prohibits the sale of Founders Breakfast Stout because of it's label, but hey, no where is perfect. [wink]
Closer to perfection than you think-- New Hampshire not only repealed the stupid law (with a bill introduced by Rep. Keith Murphy, owner of Murphy’s Taproom in Manchester) but it was overturned by overriding Gov. Maggie's veto!

Last edited:
I've gotten through 10+ years of MA winters with front wheel drive cars and Blizzaks, is 4wd absolutely necessary? (convince my other half that a Land Cruiser is necessary)

I've gotten through 10+ years of MA winters with front wheel drive cars and Blizzaks, is 4wd absolutely necessary? (convince my other half that a Land Cruiser is necessary)

It'll depend on where you live.

Another thing about NH - the roads are not flat, they hug the hills and inclines and declines. So if you live on top of a hill with a steep driveway, then yes 4WD or AWD would help. Maybe even FWD. If you live off of a dirt, hard packed road, 4WD/AWD would help. Loose packed dirt road, I think you know the answer.

From what I've seen, they don't salt or sand the roads in advance of snow and ice, like I93 and US3 where I live. So be prepared to drive with snow and ice on the roads. They once closed my college because there was a dusting of a couple inches; the snow didn't even cover the rubber bottoms of my boots. Apparently that was normal according to the staff I spoke to in order so that people don't have to commute in the snow and ice.

Like I said, it's going to depend on where you move to. Portsmouth, Plymouth and Pittsburg are different climates.

Another thing about NH - the roads are not flat, they hug the hills and inclines and declines. So if you live on top of a hill with a steep driveway, then yes 4WD or AWD would help. Maybe even FWD. If you live off of a dirt, hard packed road, 4WD/AWD would help. Loose packed dirt road, I think you know the answer.

From what I've seen, they don't salt or sand the roads in advance of snow and ice, like I93 and US3 where I live. So be prepared to drive with snow and ice on the roads. They once closed my college because there was a dusting of a couple inches; the snow didn't even cover the rubber bottoms of my boots. Apparently that was normal according to the staff I spoke to in order so that people don't have to commute in the snow and ice.

Like I said, it's going to depend on where you move to. Portsmouth, Plymouth and Pittsburg are different climates.

They don't do much for the roads in my small town - except plow and that's usually after the storm. We have 4WD/AWD on all three vehicles.

+1.

In my town some of the roads are steep and some are unpaved private roads. One of our younger EMT's used to sleep at the fire house during the real bad storms because his car at the time wouldn't cut it getting out of his neighborhood. He since upgraded to an F150.

I still say moving to NH is the best tbing I have ever done for myself. Just the improvement in quality of life. In mass, neighbors would steal mail off my doorstep. In NH, they offer to hold my mail while I am on vacation. So much win

+1.

In my town some of the roads are steep and some are unpaved private roads. One of our younger EMT's used to sleep at the fire house during the real bad storms because his car at the time wouldn't cut it getting out of his neighborhood. He since upgraded to an F150.
Beware many of the unpaved roads. They may look great when you are house hunting. Then in the spring, mud season happens and there is a month or so where traveling could be difficult or impossible. An example of such a road is Timbertop Road in New Ipswich... I almost bought here. I later discovered on a nice spring Sunday drive how awful that road can become... The entire road became foot deep holes with no place in the road to drive around them. I could barely get my Tacoma down it and took like an hour at 2mph.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

I still say moving to NH is the best tbing I have ever done for myself. Just the improvement in quality of life. In mass, neighbors would steal mail off my doorstep. In NH, they offer to hold my mail while I am on vacation. So much win
Exactly. And I haven't needed to flip someone off here in months while driving.

For me a big one is the cops. I grew up in Attleboro and every time I go down to visit my old man, I swear they have hired more and more cops and they are constantly harassing anyone they can. 3 police SUV's to pull someone over for speeding? GTFO here. Up here, the one cop on duty will just wave at you as you drive by unless you are clearly doing something illegal. It is nice not being constantly worried about getting stopped just for being alive.

Actually the funniest things I've ever seen driving happened in NH.

I was north of Concord on 93S one day and I saw someone weaving around the lanes, sort of like a drunk. But it was the middle of the day. Then WHAM! They take out a road cone and the thing goes flying. New Hampshire license plates.

Same day at the Hooksett Toll Booth - a 70 something year old guy is holding up the toll booth with a huge Indian or Victory. It's a bright and sunny and warm day. He was dressed for the occasion too.

I've seen two mattresses on 93N between Manchester and Hooksett - one of which I saw fly off and got to see in mid-air. I also get to see the odd exploded possum or raccoon. You see that in other places too, but these things take up half a lane in NH.

Watch out for deer on I89 though. Vermont is worse in my experience, but I see some on the NH side too.

Beware many of the unpaved roads. They may look great when you are house hunting. Then in the spring, mud season happens and there is a month or so where traveling could be difficult or impossible. An example of such a road is Timbertop Road in New Ipswich... I almost bought here. I later discovered on a nice spring Sunday drive how awful that road can become... The entire road became foot deep holes with no place in the road to drive around them. I could barely get my Tacoma down it and took like an hour at 2mph.

Should have bought a chevy [smile]

For me a big one is the cops. I grew up in Attleboro and every time I go down to visit my old man, I swear they have hired more and more cops and they are constantly harassing anyone they can. 3 police SUV's to pull someone over for speeding? GTFO here. Up here, the one cop on duty will just wave at you as you drive by unless you are clearly doing something illegal. It is nice not being constantly worried about getting stopped just for being alive.

I do understand the need for backup on MV stops, having worked the job back when we had no backup, but 3 is excessive unless it becomes a felony stop (usually someone with warrants).

Back when I was a kid Sonny was the motorcycle cop in Randolph, always running speedtraps on Rte. 28. He'd always motion for me to slow down and I'd wave at him as I did so. Never was stopped for speeding in Randolph when I grew up there. Sonny was a good cop, got people to slow down and probably gave out none (or close to it) tickets.

Sometimes the ride height is more important.

In Mass I'm usually driving on an inch of salt - I find snow tires really only needed if you get caught in a snowstorm before the 8 gazillion salt trucks are on the road.

From late 2010 to March of this year I have had a 50 minute commute to work (one way). The first Year was from Lee to Manchester, the second was from Nashua to manch, the third was from Barrington to Manchester. The remaining years I drove from Barrington and finally Dover to Wolfeboro. Until 2013, I did not have winter tires on my front wheel drive Ford Fusion (17" rims). I was able to drive in the snow just fine. What I noticed is that having winter tires allowed me to feel less on edge and I could maintain a faster speed on the highway in snowy conditions without feeling like I was losing grip. Mind you we are talking like 5MPH faster. If it is snowing heavy out, drive 45MPH or less on the highway (and appropriately slower on lesser roads) and you will be fine even without winter tires.

I have never had AWD or FWD and I have not needed it. Would it be nice to have? Absolutely but I have made it thus far without it (including through that bullshit winter in 2015 where we had a storm like every three days) and I am not trading my car in anytime soon.

Now mind you my experience comes from Seacoast and Southern NH. The furthest north I have driven in the Winter is Wolfeboro (for work). I cannot speculate how driving conditions are as you get closer to the White Mountains (or above them) as I never drive that way during a storm. But I honestly don't think AWD/FDW is required up there either.

Crime info is published, there isn't much to be concerned about outside of places where you wouldn't want to live anyway. Most NH towns have a murder rate too low to include in the charts.

Aside from the latest PFOA thing, there are just a few places with pollution issues, and they're well known. You're more likely to run into naturally occurring arsenic and radon in the groundwater than anything man-made.

I think you're in the wrong thread. [laugh2]

Here's an updated timeline of "the last few years":
  • 2003 - HB415 passes, statewide firearms law preemption
  • 2004 - HB 1309 Shooting range protection amendment to RSA 158-B
    (Not sure why nothing seems to change from 2005-2009?)
  • 2010 - Knife law preemption.
  • 2011 - SB88 Expands Castle Doctrine (Veto Override)
  • 2012 - HB1551 - Landowner Liability protection bill.
  • 2013 - Court case NH v Dor (Definition of "loaded")
  • 2015 - Residents of 25 states can now carry in New Hampshire under reciprocity (and vice-versa).
  • 2016 - [thread=310850]Non-resident carry license issuance rules overturned by NH SC[/thread].
  • 2016 - HB500 - Ban Hunting with suppressors is repealed.
Yeah, circling the drain up here. Stay away! [rolleyes]

In all seriousness, I hear NH calling my name. Wont happen for a couple more years, but the plan is to be there by 2018-2019. Planning on taking Manchester,NH PD and NH DOC exams.

Last edited by a moderator:
quote-you-may-all-go-to-hell-and-i-will-go-to-texas-davy-crockett-44401.jpg

*NES Members excluded from the GTH part. [wink]

I looked at Texas. They have sprinklers on the house foundation and ventilation dug underneath to stop cracking from the extreme heat. People don't do activities outside for six months of the year and even February it's like 80 at night. Austin is growing but that means it isn't as cheap as Dallas-FW.

I have little interest in "watering my house."

Mike

Sent from my cell phone with a tiny keyboard and large thumbs...

My friend's parents didn't water their house for a summer and the foundation ruptured: They had to jack the house & replace part of the foundation. PASS

However, Texas IS one of the free states with job growth.

Well in a perfect world MA would be a free state (in many more ways) with an accountable government and I'd move within a 15 minute bubble of where I am right now to have more space... but looks like NH is in my future.

Mike

I lived in Austin, TX for a couple of years back in the late 90s. Two of my kids were born there. I would have stayed but the (now ex) wife HATED it there.

There were some downsides - it was HOT. We had a new house built and one Saturday the power went out. 10 minutes without A/C in a brand new house and it was unbearable. There were also scorpions in the house, which freak you out a little with a baby crawling around. And fire ants, so many fire ants.

I took a business trip back about two years ago. The brand new neighborhood that we lived in back in 1996-1997 already looked like hell. The roads were all broken up, the backyards fences were falling down, etc... I would go back to TX, but I think I'd stay further north or outside of any urban area.

We have been looking for the right house for a couple years now. It has been tough to find the right place just over the border in NH since we both work in MA. Moving to NH has had its challenges with the tax rate of border towns, extra kids daycare, and commute issues etc...

Had a couple offers in on two houses in ma and couldn't come to an agreement on price so we did not get them. Guess it was a good thing now.

Had an offer in on one in NH on the 18th and they countered way too high. Suddenly this ag bs made the sellers counter offer more justifiable in my mind. Then on the 1st I just found another one that would work, good house, land and fits the budget in a rural town in mass. Two weeks ago I would have tried to get it now not so sure

My wife and I have been on the fence for a few years. We are both active IDPA shooters and this last batch of crap from the AG is the last straw. We have decided to make the move north. Not an easy decision but in the long run probably the best.

The general plan now is to clean and empty the house of 20+ years of crap, give it a once over and put it on the market ideally this fall but realistically more like the spring. In the mean time start deciding where we want to go however in general we are thinking in the Concord area. Easy access to the lakes region and mountains but close enough to Manchester and Nashua. The big question is work. I should be able to land something in one of the cities but it is hard to know. Mid/Late 50s white guy who does IT and network security might be problematic however the fact that I have worked for banks and insurance companies keeps some doors open.

Back
Top Bottom