To All Mass Residents Thinking of Leaving

How is Portsmouth?

Compared to what?

Compared to most of NH it's expensive and liberal.
Compared to most of greater Boston it's cheap and conservativish (which means slightly more conservative than Boston).

In NH all of the larger cities are more liberal than the outlying areas. Nashua, Portsmouth, Manchester, Keene, Salem, Concord(ish).

I don't think this is different than anywhere else, just on a smaller scale.

It's a city. Very hippy-ish when I was there last summer. There was a white guy handing out copies of the Hindu bible [laugh]

It does however have the Navy base and airfield and therefore a good amount of job opportunities. NH16 and I95 are toll roads so you'd have to deal with that. A roommate of mine was from Hampton Beach, down US1 from Portsmouth, and Hampton has a bit of a heroin problem.

You'd have to tour around Rockingham County and see what areas you like. What people like and value depends on the person.

Great drinking town.

Portsmouth is a nice "city." I say "city" because it has less people than Dover and is not anywhere close to being as big as Boston.

But it is a nice city to live in. Rent and property values are high though. I almost always open carry when walking downtown though I usually cover up when entering an establishment out of habit. No one has ever given me a second look for open carrying my sidearm. The staties love to do DUI checkpoints on route 16 as you are leaving Portsmouth regularly.

Hillary gets in there will be no place to run...
If everyone here takes ten minutes a day away from NES or other stuff, and works on "politicking"/discussing/influencing etc with a couple of independent or undecided voters, each day, every day, then she WON'T get in.

Ditto the Maura sh*t...I've spent MUCH less time here on NES and MUCH MORE time calling, emailing and chatting with legislators and state house /Ashburton place offices ever since the mustachioed little mangirl's letter hit the table.

As a matter of fact I'm logging off now and calling my Reps this morning.... Again.

Hillary gets in there will be no place to run...

Not the point of this thread, please don't shit it up. If someone wants to move to Oregon, please by all means speak up. Otherwise, let us carry on without thread derailment. I am sure there are 100 other threads you can felate Trump in elsewhere on this board.

We moved to NH from MA last summer. Best move we ever made. It only adds 25 minutes to our commutes and it's so nice and quiet. My taxes aren't bad in the Plaistow area. Definitely worth it!

Hacks like Healey are what drove us out of MA. Now I have a firing range in my backyard and my collection has grown with things I could only drool over in MA.

I would like opinions on Brookline, Hollis, Hudson, Pelham and Londonderry. Positives and negatives?

I'm in Mason which is just west of Brookline. It's a little more "middle of nowhere", which is a pain for errands, etc. But, it's dead quiet and all I see is trees from my backyard.

We moved to NH from MA last summer. Best move we ever made. It only adds 25 minutes to our commutes and it's so nice and quiet. My taxes aren't bad in the Plaistow area. Definitely worth it!

Hacks like Healey are what drove us out of MA. Now I have a firing range in my backyard and my collection has grown with things I could only drool over in MA.

NH = [smile][smile][smile][smile] etc., etc.

Licensed MA and NH REALTOR here. I primarily focus on the Merrimack Valley from Hooksett, NH to Methuen, MA along rt 3 and 495. I have helped many friends and others relocate from many towns in the greater Lowell area to Southern NH to towns such as Nashua, Hudson, Manchester, Merrimack, Bedford, Hooksett, Derry, Londonderry.
If I can't help you I do have many contacts and other Realtors I have worked with on deals in the past. There are many good ones and bad ones.
First and foremost sort out your credit and contact a lender- I can help with that if you want.
Also very familiar with the lakes region if you are looking for a nice 2nd home! I do have the inside track on a nice place on the big lake for a cool million if interested!

Ed McGovern
[email protected]
[email protected]
978-808-2517

Remote living, mindfulness, and the Amazon "Dash Button".

When house hunting, don't let little things like hard well water, septic, oil heat or unpaved roads keep you away from an otherwise perfect house.

Deal breakers should be major risk items: termites, water damage, or a HOA.
It's a little more "middle of nowhere", which is a pain for errands, etc. But, it's dead quiet and all I see is trees from my backyard.
Living in the middle of nowhere is quiet and relaxing, but being +20 minutes from big box stores does promote mindfulness [puke] (I hate that word, but it is apropos).

Now that shopping trips to anything more than the country store or Ace hardware is at least an hour's commitment, I definitely no longer pop out for a mindless trip to the big box store for a few items. Instead, I just mindlessly order them from Amazon Prime.

It's a city. Very hippy-ish when I was there last summer. There was a white guy handing out copies of the Hindu bible [laugh]

It does however have the Navy base and airfield and therefore a good amount of job opportunities. NH16 and I95 are toll roads so you'd have to deal with that. A roommate of mine was from Hampton Beach, down US1 from Portsmouth, and Hampton has a bit of a heroin problem.

You'd have to tour around Rockingham County and see what areas you like. What people like and value depends on the person.
Just a small point: the Navy base is in Maine. Don't expect to work there and not pay income tax.

Positives, they are in NH. Negatives, idk, only thing I can think of is still close to MA so property cost and taxes are probably pretty high.

Honestly, start looking at the town websites and decide what tax rate you want to live in. Then look at how built up the towns are. I didn't want to live in a town that had walmarts, or fast food, or street lights, so that is why I settled in a town zoned for agricultural/residential and has no real "main" road running through it.

I would love this wife would not. I would like the lakes area myself.

Taxes, tourists, traffic and Lowell and Lawrence are the negatives.

Keep in mind that Nashua is one of the three main cities along US3 and I93. You'd be one or two towns over from Nashua in most of those four towns listed. In all seriousness, if you really want to experience New Hampshire, get away from the Mass border. I drove around and checked out southern NH and the one town I really liked was Atkinson. Atkinson is low tax, but high density (for a suburb) and has high property values.

If you're not going to look or find work in central, northern or western NH, you're going to live in a catch-22 of having to be close to Mass but being far away from all the nice things in NH like the White Mountains, the Connecticut River Valley, the Great North Woods, and Portsmouth and Exeter if you like colonial.

There is the Keene area, but it didn't appeal to me very much. YMMV.

Wife wants to keep her job (Holden MA) for now so we wanted to stay with in an hour to an hour and a half max commute. We also NEED great schools and ones with special education resources.

Then I guess for some of us it will be time to hold ground and fight!

100% Agree

I'm in Mason which is just west of Brookline. It's a little more "middle of nowhere", which is a pain for errands, etc. But, it's dead quiet and all I see is trees from my backyard.

I need good schools and Mason is bad. I love going to Parkers though best pancakes on the planet!

what do you guys think about the idea of buying property up there and moving my camper there as a semi permanent 'foot in the door'? could I set up an official second address with a camper?
Our place up north is exactly that (although we are already residents). We put up a barnstyle garage that has a 3/4 bath will a well appointed "loft". We had a 5 bedroom septic/leach field put in, connected it to the barn and had 2 black water dump stations put in. One of the stations also has a leveled pad as well as 50/30 amp service for our camper and a guest.

2.5 acres with waterfront and a dock. We can put the camper in the garage in the winter if we so desired (and did for the first winter). The landscaping was already done when we bought the property.....

icehouse from water.jpg

Residency? All you really need is an empty lot with a mailbox and a mortgage.

what do you guys think about the idea of buying property up there and moving my camper there as a semi permanent 'foot in the door'? could I set up an official second address with a camper?
We put up a barnstyle garage that has a 3/4 bath will a well appointed "loft". We had a 5 bedroom septic/leach field put in, connected it to the barn and had 2 black water dump stations put in.
That's the way to do it.

A newcomer would need to choose their land purchase carefully, many town use zoning to make it difficult to have a permanent "trailer" setup, or limit this use to specific zoning (don't want the tourists to see your low-rent district). And a lot of land is vacant because the owner can't pass a perc test or afford to drill a reliable well.

That's the way to do it.

A newcomer would need to choose their land purchase carefully, many town use zoning to make it difficult to have a permanent "trailer" setup, or limit this use to specific zoning (don't want the tourists to see your low-rent district). And a lot of land is vacant because the owner can't pass a perc test or afford to drill a reliable well.
I forgot to mention the well. The water is very hard/sulphory. We had to put in a softening system as well as a triple filter. The taxes are a bit high (about the same as we pay in Nashua), but we would pay MORE if the garage had a kitchen. We grill/use the fire pit for everything to cook, except when we decide we need the microwave that's in the camper.

Only the queen sleeps in the camper during good weather. I sleep in my hammock, as do the kids. In bad weather, the kids use the "loft", and I sleep in my hammock. I snore too much......

We plan on building a small cabin style house there and moving out of Nashua once the kids get to college.

We plan on building a small cabin style house there and moving out of Nashua once the kids get to college.

When this time comes: http://www.archedcabins.com/

our place in NH was already up as a shell with steel roof, power, well and septic when we bought it, but it took an entire year+ with time and limited funds to finish the inside. Kitchens, baths, sheetrock, wood stove, appliances, floor coverings, light fixtures, wiring and more than 1 heating zone.

If I were doing it again, I would do the 24x40 with a full basement and be in the 2000 sq foot space plus a full dry basement for storage and workshop, and another structure for a garage.

The town my land is in had no zoning other than septic and chimney inspections.

When house hunting, don't let little things like hard well water, septic, oil heat or unpaved roads keep you away from an otherwise perfect house.

Living in the middle of nowhere is quiet and relaxing, but being +20 minutes from big box stores does promote mindfulness [puke] (I hate that word, but it is apropos).

Now that shopping trips to anything more than the country store or Ace hardware is at least an hour's commitment, I definitely no longer pop out for a mindless trip to the big box store for a few items. Instead, I just mindlessly order them from Amazon Prime.

Thanks, good points. I have liked the idea of 'farmshoring' for a while now. With Amazon Prime and decent cable/wifi, you can pretty much live and work anywhere. It's a hard sale to the wife, though - she likes people. A second home could work though...

Maybe we should do a group by on a big piece of land and just build a hardened storage facility on it. Everyone can call it their second residence and store their goodies there. ;p

Guys I wanna get a condo in North Providence how many moonbats are there and also getting a gun permit there is North Providence ?? Will be moving in the next 2 months at the latest
don't want to live in the Marxist state of Connecticut anymore Im done I have a very good paying job my commute would be 40 min one way from North Providence I can deal with that…
wanna buy an Ak 47 if they are legal and if they are i will buy 3 …….LOL don't care about the price willing to dump 5k on them I am soo tired but so tired…. getting pissed on these people telling me what i can have and can't have …..it just makes me sick how these people take and oath to protect and defend the constitution then piss all over it …...

Last edited:
Guys I wanna get a condo in North Providence how many moonbats are there and also getting a gun permit there is North Providence ?? Will be moving in the next 2 months at the latest
don't want to live in the Marxist state of Connecticut anymore Im done I have a very good paying job my commute would be 40 min one way from North Providence I can deal with that…
wanna buy an Ak 47 if they are legal and if they are i will buy 3 …….LOL don't care about the price willing to dump 5k on them I am soo tired but so tired…. getting pissed on these people telling me what i can have and can't have …..it just makes me sick how these people take and oath to protect and defend the constitution then piss all over it …...

North Provy is still mostly an Italian neighborhood. I do know some Brazilian people who live there. It's not quite moonbatty. Is there something drawing you to North Providence in particular? Avoid Smithfield, they have a bad history in regards to carry permits. Johnston is ok.

In case you don't know, RI doesn't have a "gun permit." RI has a carry permit. You only need the carry permit to carry, however you can use a town-issued permit to waive the 7-day waiting period when buying a gun and in place of a Blue Card or Hunter's Safety card to buy a pistol.

I personally would never move to NP, but that's because I'm a rural person. If I had to commute to Connecticut, I'd look for a place in Foster, Burrillville, Scituate, West Greenwich, Exeter, Hopkinton, Richmond or Westerly.

North Providence is issuing permits recently, so you shouldn't have any big problems on that account.

North Provy is still mostly an Italian neighborhood. I do know some Brazilian people who live there. It's not quite moonbatty. Is there something drawing you to North Providence in particular? Avoid Smithfield, they have a bad history in regards to carry permits. Johnston is ok.

In case you don't know, RI doesn't have a "gun permit." RI has a carry permit. You only need the carry permit to carry, however you can use a town-issued permit to waive the 7-day waiting period when buying a gun and in place of a Blue Card or Hunter's Safety card to buy a pistol.

I personally would never move to NP, but that's because I'm a rural person. If I had to commute to Connecticut, I'd look for a place in Foster, Burrillville, Scituate, West Greenwich, Exeter, Hopkinton, Richmond or Westerly.

I actually saw some very nice condos …This would be in the short term I need a condo i like to travel and travel 2 weeks at a time so a house for me would be out of a question and leaving for 2 weeks ? who's gonna watch it? don't want to bother anybody just close my condo door and i won't have to worry and leave …..my goal in 2 years is to work and live in N.H. Yea i heard about smithfield .. I like Scituate I am from the Putnam , Pomfret area sh$t load didn't register their guns here almost everybody i know and they are not giving them up no matter what…tell you one thing if it ever happens in Rhode Island to register DONT COMPLY PERIOD..IT WILL BE THE BIGGEST MISTAKE YOU WILL EVER COMMIT...

Last edited:
I actually saw some very nice condos …This would be in the short term …..my goal in 2 years is to work and live in N.H. Yea i heard about smithfield .. I like Scituate I am from the Putnam , Pomfret area sh$t load didn't register their guns here almost everybody i know and they are not giving them up no matter what…tell you one thing if it ever happens in Rhode Island to register DONT COMPLY PERIOD..IT WILL BE THE BIGGEST MISTAKE YOU WILL EVER COMMIT...

Ah my old high school stomping grounds... Putnam, Thompson, Danielson, Glocester and Foster [laugh]

I think I know the condos you're talking about. They're in an ok neighborhood I think. If you leave NP by Route 7 and go north, it'll take you almost all the way to Wallum Lake Rod and Gun Club. You could try Glocester, but the town is developing more and more and I'm not a fan of how the town operates in terms of taxes, police and development.

If you do move to North Providence or somewhere in northern RI, let us know. You'd have a decent selection of gun shops and gun clubs living in northern RI, though the good ones are in Warwick and West Warwick.

Ah my old high school stomping grounds... Putnam, Thompson, Danielson, Glocester and Foster [laugh]

I think I know the condos you're talking about. They're in an ok neighborhood I think. If you leave NP by Route 7 and go north, it'll take you almost all the way to Wallum Lake Rod and Gun Club. You could try Glocester, but the town is developing more and more and I'm not a fan of how the town operates in terms of taxes, police and development.

If you do move to North Providence or somewhere in northern RI, let us know. You'd have a decent selection of gun shops and gun clubs living in northern RI, though the good ones are in Warwick and West Warwick.

You no brother here in the northeast theres a lot of moonbats old time yankees the types that won't let go of the guns and didn't register… here guns are a very touchy subject ……any type of confiscation could lead to a an all out shoot-out…LOL
Yea i will let u guys no I am hungry into buying more guns specially the so called evil ones ….LOL

For the people who have already moved from MA to NH:
Any little things you can think of that were a surprise / you didn't think of previously that may have caught you off guard?
For instance when I was 17 I drove to New Jersey on a trip and was amused / confused when the gas station attendant started yelling at me for pumping my own gas.

Count me in a resource. I typically lurk in the greater Manchester area.

IM or email me if I can be of assistance.

As a former MA resident (I consider myself a political refugee from Massachusetts), I have some unique insight in transitioning from "Occupied America" (MA) to "Free America" (NH).

- - - Updated - - -

Any little things you can think of that were a surprise / you didn't think of previously that may have caught you off guard?
For instance when I was 17 I drove to New Jersey on a trip and was amused / confused when the gas station attendant started yelling at me for pumping my own gas.

Every town is a bit different when it comes to public services. One town has roadside pickup. The other you have to bring everything to the dump or pay for private pickup.

There's also a ton of "cooperative" towns that join in on high schools and some middle schools. Growing up on the North Shore in MA, every town had its own school system. So that was a bit foreign concept to me.

- - - Updated - - -

It's forced me to organize my errands. Not like that's a bad thing, but I use memo pad often: ATM -> Walmart -> ACE -> PO -> Etc.

Looks like the pot is calling the kettle black.

You already have one foot in NH as you own property here. So to see you lecture other Mass residents who are thinking of or already leaving is quite rich.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I knew our friend from Dorchester would be poo-pooing on this thread. [smile]

Vehicles are registered at the town clerk, but licenses are handled at the state DMV branches.

Beware the hippies, for they are numerous.

Beer is sold at grocery stores.

Politics are like sporting events in NH.

Everyone has an opinion and you're going to hear it wether or not you asked them for it.

People wave or nod or say "good morning" when you're out in town. At least in small towns.

The weather is very nice. But then again, I like the cold.

Back
Top Bottom