To All Mass Residents Thinking of Leaving

I'd be worried about the politics still. Howard Dean, Bernie...people there seem to be ok with that.

So do people from NH. The NH primary was the reason why Bernie was even a topic of conversation.

Liberals are everywhere, so at this point they're just a shrill background noise to me.

What part of NC, if you don't mind me asking? I have been looking for a job in the Raleigh area for work for a while with no luck.

I moved from CT to NC 2 years ago this week after the BS midnight bill they rammed down our throat. That broke my back but what they did to you MA guys is criminal. GTFO if you can.

I'd be happy to answer any questions you may have about central NC including the Raleigh area. There are some blue areas but the state controls the cities and towns better than up north. An average temperature in January is 51 degrees. There may be 2-3 weeks of 20s but for the most part it's 40s and 50s in Jan-Feb.

My RE taxes are less per year than they were per month up north.... You can get a lot of home for $150K of which your annual tax bill could be less than $1k. The ocean is 2+ hours away and the mountains are 2+ hours away. Raleigh-Durham is a hot bed for anything medical as well as it's becoming a new Silicon Valley for tech jobs. If you are in the Tech/Medical/Banking/Insurance fields then there is good work. If you have any specific questions ask here or PM me. It was the best decision I ever made to get out of CT and to move here. I wish I did it sooner.

I moved from CT to MA nearly five years ago, and I've been kicking around the idea of moving to NH since day one of arriving in MA. For me, it isn't just the insane gun laws--I'm sick and tired of the high taxes, horrible drivers and road conditions, insidious government corruption at the local and state levels, and the social attitudes of many Mass residents--specifically, me being of Asian decent, the overt racism and discrimination I get from liberal black BLM folks who think Asians are "Whitey part deux", and liberal white SJW hipster types who bend over backwards to kowtow to Blacks and Latinos but are openly racist and discriminatory toward Asians. I grew up in a small, all-white conservative town in CT, and aside from the occasional idiot making Jackie Chan noises, racism was never an issue until I moved to the tolerant and diverse liberal utopia known as the people's republic of MA.

Like many of you, our AG's "re-interpretation" of the AWB was the last straw, and I'm now actively drawing out plans, financials, etc. so that the girl and I can be out of this shithole within the next three years at the very latest. We'll most likely be looking in the southern NH area close to 93, as I have to commute to work in Boston, and she has family on the South Shore.

Something that gets a lot of talk in NH is the tax rate for property taxes. Property taxes are our primary way of funding government, with no state income tax or general sales tax (there are taxes on some specifics things like meals and hotels).

As you are thinking about towns you should consider both the cost of property as well as the tax rate on that property. This will help to inform you of the tax rates in various towns. http://www.joeshimkus.com/NH-Tax-Rates.aspx

Something that gets a lot of talk in NH is the tax rate for property taxes. Property taxes are our primary way of funding government, with no state income tax or general sales tax (there are taxes on some specifics things like meals and hotels).

As you are thinking about towns you should consider both the cost of property as well as the tax rate on that property. This will help to inform you of the tax rates in various towns. http://www.joeshimkus.com/NH-Tax-Rates.aspx

Property tax is also a shared burden, in my house anyways. Living in MA, my wife and I both paid income taxes and then there was the property taxes on our house on top of that. In NH, we both contribute to the property tax and no longer pay income tax. So the "HUGE" property taxes in NH are not really as bad as everyone makes them out to be, especially when you consider that you get what you pay for. Don't want a fancy school system, an army of a PD, city water and sewage? Settle in a town that doesn't have those services and pay far less in taxes then those that can't let these services go.

So a legality question here. If I buy a second home in NH somewhere and change addresses, license plates, gun license, etc, but I keep my current home and live out of it what are the ramifications of that? Say that I do the move, but spend more then 50% here. Would anyone really check that? I know I'd have to deal with a PITA non-resident permit, but other then that what are the up and down sides of trying that?

I wouldn't worry about bills or anything as most of that stuff comes electronically anyway.

So a legality question here. If I buy a second home in NH somewhere and change addresses, license plates, gun license, etc, but I keep my current home and live out of it what are the ramifications of that? Say that I do the move, but spend more then 50% here. Would anyone really check that? I know I'd have to deal with a PITA non-resident permit, but other then that what are the up and down sides of trying that?

I wouldn't worry about bills or anything as most of that stuff comes electronically anyway.

What's the point? What are you trying to accomplish?

There are 13 cities in New Hampshire. Everything else is a town, etc.

what are the up and down sides of trying that?
Not a lot of upside. You can make your life easier by keeping dual residency.

The tricky part won't be guns or voter registration, but Massachusetts state income tax. If you live in MA, you owe income tax. If you live in NH but go to work in MA, you still owe full MA state income tax. Or do you work from home?

Which ones are too much like MA?
I feel the larger cities in the southern part are, but I've led a pretty sheltered life in the lakes region and White Mountains.
Sure, all two of them. Five if you stretch your definitions of "larger", "cities", "southern part", and "too much like MA"

Last edited:
Me and gf have been talking about getting a place together in nh ...staying at our current jobs Dracut and chelmsford , so we are looking to be near the boarder so our drives won't be to far .
A list of towns to look at would be great that would allow us to not have long drives to work.

Hudson. I bought here 3.5 years ago. Never looked back. PM me for any questions.

You'd have to check MA laws on definition of where you "live".

In NH it's really pretty simple. You need to declare you are a resident to vote. Seriously. https://www.nh.gov/safety/divisions/dmv/new-resident/index.htm

To register your vehicle you'll need some sort of proof of residence, like a mortgage bill, a tax bill, a utility bill, or a lease agreement.

As Kevin_NH said, income tax if you are still working in MA income taxes will still apply, as will taxes on your MA property. For NH there is no "amount of time" test.

I moved from CT to NC 2 years ago this week after the BS midnight bill they rammed down our throat. That broke my back but what they did to you MA guys is criminal. GTFO if you can.

I'd be happy to answer any questions you may have about central NC including the Raleigh area. There are some blue areas but the state controls the cities and towns better than up north. An average temperature in January is 51 degrees. There may be 2-3 weeks of 20s but for the most part it's 40s and 50s in Jan-Feb.

My RE taxes are less per year than they were per month up north.... You can get a lot of home for $150K of which your annual tax bill could be less than $1k. The ocean is 2+ hours away and the mountains are 2+ hours away. Raleigh-Durham is a hot bed for anything medical as well as it's becoming a new Silicon Valley for tech jobs. If you are in the Tech/Medical/Banking/Insurance fields then there is good work. If you have any specific questions ask here or PM me. It was the best decision I ever made to get out of CT and to move here. I wish I did it sooner.

Raleigh is a nice area and definately a consideration instead of moving to NH temporarily. I feel finding a job down there wouldn't be as hard as some other areas, I've been down there a few times. Charlotte area is growing in leaps and bounds as well...at least from what I see from the traffic and building being done. Yes, some parts are blue, but every time I turn on the news down there, its still way on the conservative side. And I see open carry alot down there...

So a legality question here. If I buy a second home in NH somewhere and change addresses, license plates, gun license, etc, but I keep my current home and live out of it what are the ramifications of that? Say that I do the move, but spend more then 50% here. Would anyone really check that? I know I'd have to deal with a PITA non-resident permit, but other then that what are the up and down sides of trying that?.
For starters, if you operate a vehicle for more than 30 days in MA it's supposed to be registered there.

In NH you can register a boat or vehicle even if non-resident if the vehicle is in state for all but 10 days a year.

Most small NH towns are happy to register you because you pay an excise tax.

You really have to pay attention to the town. We looked at two houses on the same street. Taxes in Goshen are $4,100. Similar house same street but in Sunapee was $5,500. Not sure about assessment policies, ours went up to pretty close to what we paid.

I think we can call this the Judas thread.

There's really not much point in either actively recruiting people to move or in mocking people who want to move.

People in Mass and CT have been under some really crappy gun laws for roughly 22 years, if not more. The sky high taxes have probably been obvious to anyone who can investigate worth a damn for longer. People have either mentally already made up their minds - are they staying or are they going?

A good number of people on here seem like they're either retired or pretty close to retirement. The last thing I would want to do is crap on someone who is retiring or give them bad advice in regards to where to retire. Do you want to have gout in New Hampshire or have sunstroke in Florida?

People have to make up their own minds one way or the other - if a Freestater didn't make this thread, someone from Mass would have eventually.

I used to spend my commute staring at brake lights and billboards for the next shi**y band coming to Foxwoods. Now I get to pull off the road and watch this guy and his brother chase each other around a tree.

image-936227462.jpg

Question: I live in NH but my company is out of Mass. HOWEVER, I do work from home in NH. I have been told I can get out of paying MA income tax. Can anyone confirm/deny this?

Question: I live in NH but my company is out of Mass. HOWEVER, I do work from home in NH. I have been told I can get out of paying MA income tax. Can anyone confirm/deny this?

I worked from home in NH and I didn't have to pay RI income tax just because I worked for a RI company.

Usually how income tax works is A) where you live and B) where you physically work. If A and B are both NH or a state without income tax, then you don't pay state income tax.

Talk to your company's HR and or accounting department.

Yeah, sharing information and helping other members out is akin to betrayal. Betrayal to what, the state of MA? A population of people I didn't really assimilate with? LOL, then call me Judas. I will think about it while I am living a much better, much happier life with my family in NH.

There are many more reasons to leave MA than just guns.

I am interested in hearing from anyone who commutes to Boston from southern NH.

-Commute to Boston: Train, bus, drive? (my boss lives near Concord and takes a bus but she is nutz)
-What towns in SE NH are nice? Seabrook, Hampton Falls, & South Hampton seem to have lower tax rates, what is the sacrifice?
-We do not and will not have children so IDGAF about schools except in as much as they contribute to prop values.
-Are there any issues to look for with house construction (radon, lead, asbestos, etc.) or ground water?
-What ranges are available nearby? I guess we can still drive to Granby for 1,000 with a bolt gun.

My family has also been in MA for over two hundred years in one form or another but enough is enough: This state is broken beyond repair.

In fact, I think this state is broken from the ground up such that even if every legislator, .gov hack, & politician disappeared tomorrow, the sheeple would just replicate the broken system.

I wouldn't get too hung up on gun clubs in the immediate future. There are plenty of places to shoot once you meet a few people, maybe even in your own backyard. It sounds like I live on in a Fallujahn suburb on some weekends. I do belong to Pemi F&G, and they have long range capability (not quite 1k), but that is because I took a class there and their requirement was for everyone to be a member, it is likely to far to load up and head out on a whim for some of the border towns.

Correct. Easiest if employer codes your W-2 correctly and doesn't withhold state income tax in the first place.

What are you in Lempster when out on furlough ? You already have one foot in the free water so why not jump in all the way ? Like the money more than free living? Insulting people like me for instance for having the brains to get out of that lost cause state you continue to support is unproductive. Maybe it just makes you feel better, less used as a tool by your crooked state. You're a business man, run the numbers. What are you paying in taxes on that big house in Dorchester as well as all the rest they wrench out of your pocket each day? That is your own hard earned money used by your corrupt elected officials to fight against you and take from you exactly what you claim to believe in. So why do you continue to add money to their coffers used in ways that screw you and your fellow gun supporters and liberty minded people? Who is a Judas?

I am interested in hearing from anyone who commutes to Boston from southern NH.

-Commute to Boston: Train, bus, drive? (my boss lives near Concord and takes a bus but she is nutz)
-What towns in SE NH are nice? Seabrook, Hampton Falls, & South Hampton seem to have lower tax rates, what is the sacrifice?
-We do not and will not have children so IDGAF about schools except in as much as they contribute to prop values.
-Are there any issues to look for with house construction (radon, lead, asbestos, etc.) or ground water?
-What ranges are available nearby? I guess we can still drive to Granby for 1,000 with a bolt gun.

My family has also been in MA for over two hundred years in one form or another but enough is enough: This state is broken beyond repair.

In fact, I think this state is broken from the ground up such that even if every legislator, .gov hack, & politician disappeared tomorrow, the sheeple would just replicate the broken system.

Commuting to Boston: I also live near Concord and sometimes have to travel to Boston (Usually something like once a week, rarely as much as 4 times a week). There are no trains anywhere near me. The only train options would be on the seacoast. Driving leaves you with the most options, but is the most expensive (and is a pain in the ass if you have to park as well... Probably the most expensive option). Bus is a valid option, but you'll still need a way of getting to a bus stop.

I don't have any experience with any of those towns, so can't really help much.

List of clubs can be found at http://www.wildlife.state.nh.us/hunting/clubs-ranges.html

For anybody serious, I can't say it enough, call Mark Warden. http://porcupinerealestate.com/

Commuting to Boston: I also live near Concord and sometimes have to travel to Boston (Usually something like once a week, rarely as much as 4 times a week). There are no trains anywhere near me. The only train options would be on the seacoast. Driving leaves you with the most options, but is the most expensive (and is a pain in the ass if you have to park as well... Probably the most expensive option). Bus is a valid option, but you'll still need a way of getting to a bus stop.

I take the C&J bus into Boston, and NYC for that matter, all the time for work (travel). LOTS of people do this for work, the parking lots in Dover and Portsmouth are PACKED daily. It's not that bad, it runs on the half hour out of Portsmouth and it stops at the airport and then South Station.

An other option would be to drive into MA and catch the Purple line at one of it's northern most stops. It would cut down on your driving and parking hassle, and you could catch a nap on the way in. I have taken the Down Easter out of Dover and Durham to North Station a few times and that isn't a terrible way to travel either.

Back
Top Bottom