To All Mass Residents Thinking of Leaving

Yeah, no public transportation way of getting to Waltham (and from experience driving on 128 sucks).

Waltham kind of sucks in that regard. Even if I hopped onto the commuter rail in Fitchburg, the station is over 3 miles to my office..

Yeah. We had an office in Waltham for the last dozen or so years that recently got moved to the seaport. I go there regularly for meetings.

I was very worried about the move, but the reality is that it's quite a bit easier for me to get there than it was the Waltham office.

My family has been here since the mayflower on my mothers side and my dad's not long after, we have fought in all the wars, and I am living in the original homestead that the family built in westhampton. But enough is enough. at least if we are in NH we have a vote. here we don't and haven't most of my adult life.

I think we are taking a ride this weekend to cruise some of the towns we are thinking about.

We've been looking at real estate for a while. We have a few more big ticket items to do before we can sell the house, but I think we are going to have to do NH. I really would rather live closer to Boston, but the real estate prices are just stupid. Eventually, I want to live somewhere other than New England where it doesn't ****ing snow, but she is hung up on being close to her family in NY. I have mentioned that there are these things called, "planes" but she's pretty good to me so I have to be willing to bend SOMEwhere. :D

But, so, I think the plan is a couple more years here to finish up, move to a more livable place in NH for ~10-15 years and then start looking at going somewhere else.

This latest deal by Healy really worries me, not just from a gun rights perspective. It just shows how ****ed up the political system is here. When you consider the last however many speakers of the house are in PRISON, and combine that with this completely arbitrary decision by Healy - that really gets worrisome. Add in the fact that I don't think I have ever met a single person who is not on NES who has even a rudimentary understanding of the gun laws here, and you have a scary situation. The corruption is just so bad here too. New York is a state I would never even consider living in, and I think MA is headed down the same road. There's only so much I can tolerate before the balance starts to tip away from here.

For what it's worth, in our area of New Hampshire (southwest of Concord) the 2A contingent is VERY strong. The last time one of our local busybodies tried to get ppl to stop shooting in their backyard, the pushback was MASSIVE from both natives and transplants.
Frankly, I think all the MA refugees are pushing NH more "Live Free or Die" than it was even before all this mess - at least here in the countryside.

I admire those wanting to fight the good fight in MA, but I do think you'll have more impact in NH - and not be waking up wondering if you're going to jail next time some harridan in Boston gets her bossypants streak on.

VT is prettier, but they're more culturally left.
NH has been called the "Texas of New England" and it rather fits. Reminds me in lots of places of the Appalachian south, but with better weather.

There are 435 US Representative and 100 US Senators.

At the federal level Mass has been a lost cause for some time. But each state we give up on and give up trying to recover is one more state they have at the federal level to push this crap nationally.

Things move much more quickly today with the speed of the internet. (Thank you Al Gore). So as bad as it is in Mass I don't think it's worth giving up the fight just yet. We need to align ourselves with other groups fighting for rights and equality. Otherwise we can forget the whole thing and start speaking with an Australian accent.

Again, if you are going to move anyway...you need to do what is best for you and your family.

But it is just a matter of time and perhaps your children won't be able to enjoy the freedom you found in your new state of residence because we didn't stop this here and now.

This is not a thread whereby those of us in "free states" will chide you for staying and fighting. It is perfectly understandable to stay. It is also perfectly understandable that it may not be financially viable for you to leave at this time or in the near future. You shouldn't impoverish yourself in order to hop the border.

But if "Baaaaaah" is part of your vocabulary, I'm the Shepherd you're looking for. I'll tell you it's OK to claim you are a "Second Amendment Activist" then run away.
FFY

The thing about Maine is that, on average, it's the lowest income state in New England and it has the highest income tax rate in New England.

The job market revolves around Portsmouth in NH, Portland, Augusta and maybe Bangor.

Those two things prevent me from seriously considering moving to Maine. If I want to make less money and pay high income taxes, I would rather buy a place in Caledonia or Essex County Vermont and when I say "place", I mean 30 to 60 acres of undeveloped land.
For Maine, I would suggest that becomes better to move to if you are retiring and have no income. Lack of jobs doesn't matter if you weren't going to work anyway. And the income tax won't matter as much either (I guess they would tax retirement plans?) And property taxes can be very low compared to NH or MA. You can easily have a home in a large plot of land and the taxes are $1000. The Mainers still complain about that but I have trouble sympathizing with them when I pay $6400.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

It is hard to be a second amendment activist without the ability to actually exercise your second amendment. I don't blame anyone for giving up on MA after the events of the past week. Those staying can hardly claim a moral high ground based on some misplaced misogynistic view of "fighting the good fight". I have more respect for those acknowledging the corrupt state of affairs than those shoveling sand against the tide with little or nothing to show for it.

You have as much luck of peace in the middle east as you do getting equal rights in MA without a whole new SCOTUS and SJC.

We were already planning on making the move this spring before all this happened. We will be driving to downtown Boston for work unfortunately, but we don't work 9-5. I need to be in work at 730 am and my wife needs to be in at 630am.

Im expecting to hit some traffic at those times, but I'm thinking hopefully we will miss the worst of it (9-5 commuters) . I'm not opposed to an hour or so commute. We are interested in Pelham, Salem, hampstead, windham, and southern londonderry.

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

We've had friends in Hampstead on Big Island Pond for 20+ years. It's a nice little town once you get past the property taxes. Better than average schools too. The pond is a pretty nice place to boat/fish/ski, etc even though it shares a border with Derry.

No it isn't. Of registered voters, as of April of this year there were 272k Democrat, 297k Republican, and 347k Undeclared. See http://sos.nh.gov/NamesHistory.aspx

before you get too gloaty there about your numbers the tally of the votes count. NH voted for Obama TWICE, Shaheen into the Senate and last I checked, horse-face Hassan was your D governor, and will likely be your newest Senator come January. I'll sadly call NH purple trending blue.

I say sadly because I bought a house and land to escape from MA, and now it looks like it won't be an actual escape, and I over-engineered shit there to last a lifetime, spent accordingly, and I will never, ever get my investment there back.

For Maine, I would suggest that becomes better to move to if you are retiring and have no income. Lack of jobs doesn't matter if you weren't going to work anyway. And the income tax won't matter as much either (I guess they would tax retirement plans?) And property taxes can be very low compared to NH or MA. You can easily have a home in a large plot of land and the taxes are $1000. The Mainers still complain about that but I have trouble sympathizing with them when I pay $6400.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

Exactly. If you're still working your way up the corporate ladder or you travel for work like say construction, northern Maine, northern NH and most of Vermont is a non-option. Trust me, I've done the numbers and considered it.

Retiring is another story.

Yes because not wanting to be a felon (because that's what you have been deemed by the AG) makes one a sheep. [emoji53]

Some people want to stay and fight, and God bless them because the odds are very much stacked against them. But some do not and the prospect of 10 years in prison for literally doing nothing wrong is not palatable for them.

Thus this thread is for those people who have already decided to leave as well as those considering it but wanted more info. I am not here to convince anyone to leave, but if they are leaving, I am here requesting that they consider NH because I am selfish and do not want to have to work as hard to ensure bad bills die and good bills pass. The more people (who were leaving Mass anyway) move to NH the easier it is for us.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

If you think moving will fix your immediate issue, Yes it will. If you think moving will fix the long term issue it will not. If the battle in Mass is not won it will spread. Slow in some surrounding states faster in others. But it will spread if not crushed in Mass. Opinions will vary.

Not if you become active in whatever city/town you land in and make yourself heard and respected, you can make a difference! My Wife and I have done that in the town in MA we currently live and we are not native to the town. We plan on doing the same after moving to NH.

--------------

As for NH, my late Father was a salesman, selling hardware and supplies to (mostly) glass shops in all of New England. Summers we would vacation somewhere for a month and my Father would work that area during the weekdays. We spent a few Summers in NH and seeing the sights (some natural and some fabricated for tourists), I found NH to be the nicest state to visit and that was as a kid with no concerns for laws, guns, politics, etc. My Wife and I have vacationed in all 3 Northern States and again, I find more interesting places to visit and things to do in NH, the mix of lakes, mountains, culture, local activities, good restaurants, decent shopping around Nashua, etc. all contribute to my desire to move. My Wife's office is moving at the end of this week, adding another 30 minutes minimum (more likely 45-60) each way to her commute (Orange Line subway is the addition) and the fact that they have one employee working remotely from her home in FL . . . so after the dust settles from the move, I asked my Wife to talk with her boss about her continuing employment and working remotely from NH, we'll see. If she needs to go to Boston occasionally, we'll deal with the commuter rail or bus as necessary, meanwhile save on MA income tax as well.

I also expect that I'll find a market in S. NH for my MA Gun Law Seminar and other training courses as well, to keep me part-time busy.

We've had friends in Hampstead on Big Island Pond for 20+ years. It's a nice little town once you get past the property taxes. Better than average schools too. The pond is a pretty nice place to boat/fish/ski, etc even though it shares a border with Derry.

We used to camp on Big Island Pond. Great little place.

before you get too gloaty there about your numbers the tally of the votes count. NH voted for Obama TWICE, Shaheen into the Senate and last I checked, horse-face Hassan was your D governor, and will likely be your newest Senator come January. I'll sadly call NH purple trending blue.
Perhaps if our Republican overlords would give us someone decent as candidates the dems wouldn't win so much. :)

I was just clarifying that NH isn't 49% democrat. The largest percentage (over a third) is "undeclared". How they decide to vote, I would argue, has more to do with the candidate than the letter by the candidate's name.

Perhaps if our Republican overlords would give us someone decent as candidates the dems wouldn't win so much. :)

I was just clarifying that NH isn't 49% democrat. The largest percentage (over a third) is "undeclared". How they decide to vote, I would argue, has more to do with the candidate than the letter by the candidate's name.

For example....the GOP threw out a chump named McCain as their candidate in 2008 and lost against an unknown congressman from IL. Second time around they literally threw up Romney against the same former IL Congressman...by now a well known and much maligned commodity and they still lost (many say the GOP lost the most winnable election in history). Don't blame the people as much as blame the choices made by the Repukes

For example....the GOP threw out a chump named McCain as their candidate in 2008 and lost against an unknown congressman from IL. Second time around they literally threw up Romney against the same former IL Congressman...by now a well known and much maligned commodity and they still lost (many say the GOP lost the most winnable election in history). Don't blame the people as much as blame the choices made by the Repukes

You can complain from the outside all you want but there are plenty of opportunities to participate. Insider politics only exists because people don't get involved. I'm not saying its easy and doesn't take a time commitment but whining about candidates when you aren't willing to contribute is disingenuous.

I respectfully disagree. Said "unknown" largely won because of a few things:

- He claims to be Black and due to US past history many voted for him believing that it was time to do reparations.
- He was extremely articulate and knew how to manipulate his message.

We are facing the same type of issues with this election:

- Many believe that it is time to do reparations and vote in a woman.
- She is very articulate in deflecting any criticism of her past and promising to give more to the FSA.

Every state's majority population is undeclared, including Mass. That's the target audience of both parties.

The problem is however in Southern New England, towns that usually vote Dem (i.e. towns big enough to make a difference) are set up 30% or so Dem, maybe 10% Republican and the remainder is undecided. You'd have to throw out a town name to get more specific.

Most voters are "undecided" voters - seriously, throw out a poll on here and see how many registered R voters, registered D voters and undecided voters there are.

I respectfully disagree. Said "unknown" largely won because of a few things:

- He claims to be Black and due to US past history many voted for him believing that it was time to do reparations.
- He was extremely articulate and knew how to manipulate his message.

We are facing the same type of issues with this election:

- Many believe that it is time to do reparations and vote in a woman.
- She is very articulate in deflecting any criticism of her past and promising to give more to the FSA.

Also, a good sized chunk of the electorate reflexively vote D for reasons unknown even to themselves. Dems have done a good job of branding themselves as the good guys and Republicans as the bad guys.

This thread was encouraging, until the inevitable happened and people showed up to call NH MA north and those of us that decided to make our lives better and left MA cowards. To that, I saw LOL.

Anyone interested in leaving MA for NH can feel free shoot me a PM or whatever, I will help anyone I can. Granted I live a little bit further away form the boarder then some commuters would be able to live with.

Well, we are planning on moving but not for a couple of years due to some family obligations. Though after the events of the last few weeks I found the wife looking at real estate in the Carolinas and we may move things up. We are not interested in moving north. The wife is from New Hampshire and has no interest in moving back...[laugh]

This thread was encouraging, until the inevitable happened and people showed up to call NH MA north and those of us that decided to make our lives better and left MA cowards. To that, I saw LOL.

Anyone interested in leaving MA for NH can feel free shoot me a PM or whatever, I will help anyone I can. Granted I live a little bit further away form the boarder then some commuters would be able to live with.

I'd proudly proclaim myself a coward if that meant I had the ability to move out of this state in the near future! [laugh]

This is a thread for those who have made up their mind to leave because the illegal AG decision was the last straw.

I left just weeks before this fiasco and just in time it appears. Seeing my property taxes drop by over 8k, knowing I will not be shoveling one damn snowflake come winter, and being able to purchase essentially what ever firearm I wish, etc., was enough to have me cash out of MA once the market finally rebounded. This latest move by the AG? Oh hell no. Unless you have to stay, get the hell out of there.

Good luck to my friends.

Thanks for your post Harrison. We have had a NH vacation home for many years and are in the process of moving there. The hammer has dropped, the MA house is on the market. We are about 40% moved.

The decision of where to go for now has been made, we are looking at properties in the immediate area to build on. We are here for the long haul.

I have joined the FSP and try to stay up to date. I'm also aware of some the areas I won't settle in. Too much like MA.

Keep up the fight, glad things are improving for you.

PM sent..............

Which ones are too much like MA?

for those of us looking for property can we get a list of towns to stay away from?

thanks

Well, yeah I realize that, but I was wondering more about crime, demographics, polluted groundwater, libtard infestations, etc.

My wife wants to stay at her job in MA for awhile so we would have to stay in southern NH. We also need good schools because I have a Autistic son who needs some extra attention. We were looking at Brookline and Hollis but prices are pretty steep. I would love to rent a house for the first year and test the waters before buying but it looks like there are not a lot of homes for rent in these areas. I am done with MA and want out. I would still drive down and support my MA brothers any way I could.

I moved to the free state of Virginia 3 years ago and will never return to MA (and I'm a LEO). Us LEO's down here in the free united states feel for you guys. Only time I go back is to see some family.

For those on the western side of MA who are also contemplating a move, I want to remind you that although it's infected with liberals, Vermont still has some of the best gun laws in the country, and an overall "leave me alone" mentality that's very similar to that of New Hampshire. Aside from all of the "Bernie" signs on people's Subarus, it's a great place to live.

For those on the western side of MA who are also contemplating a move, I want to remind you that although it's infected with liberals, Vermont still has some of the best gun laws in the country, and an overall "leave me alone" mentality that's very similar to that of New Hampshire. Aside from all of the "Bernie" signs on people's Subarus, it's a great place to live.

For those on the fence - I strongly prefer Vermont over NH. Smaller towns, quieter location, more peaceful. After I get out of law school, there are two states I want to work in - RI or Vermont.

If you can get a good paying job in VT, jump on it.

For those on the fence - I strongly prefer Vermont over NH. Smaller towns, quieter location, more peaceful. After I get out of law school, there are two states I want to work in - RI or Vermont.

If you can get a good paying job in VT, jump on it.

I'd be worried about the politics still. Howard Dean, Bernie...people there seem to be ok with that.

If you can get any job in VT, jump on it.

FTFY...I think VT is even behind NH in terms of means to make a living..Of course that's also why many areas are so desolate..

Back
Top Bottom