• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Tips for Flying with Firearms for the First Time

Looks like this weekend I found the three five (I was corrected by the GF) Delta employees at Logan with no idea how to deal with firearms.

I have a Pelican Air 1615 that I use as my suitcase. At the luggage check counter, I calmly state that I'll need a firearms declaration card. The clerk hands it to me, I fill it out, then she asks to inspect that the firearm's unloaded. I open the case, drop in the tag, show my pistol's unloaded state, and put it back in its pouch in the lid organizer.

1636386381508.png

Here's where everything goes sideways. She's certain that I need it in its own hard case inside the hard suitcase that I'm about to lock. She calls over her supervisor, who then calls over her super. We go around in circles for a few minutes as they don't seem to understand the meaning of "may," above. They call over another person who skims the text and nopes out of the conversation. Eventually, this shift supervisor brings us over to the oversized chute, and phones down for clarification. We wait. And wait. After about 15 minutes and several calls back and forth, TSA has cleared the bag and sent it to load onto our plane.

Fast forward through the rest of our flight's debacle, and Delta is still doing their song and dance with delivering to their security office who wants to use a zap strap to hold your case closed. (This part is company policy, so now I'm just having a bit of a laugh.) Since I've used real locks that are sized for my bag, she can't get the tiny zip ties through the hasp. I offer that we can just skip that step and say she'd put it on and I immediately cut it off, to which she and her assistant chuckle: "you never know who's watching, and it's not like you have scissors." I tell her I do, we all laugh, she puts the giant zip tie around the entire bag. So I thanked her for her help, rolled into the lobby, and immediately cut off the band.

On the one hand, I'm grateful for the effort to ensure we didn't get jammed up for doing things wrong, since "I've just never seen it done like this before." But now my GF is asking if we should buy a hard case to put inside my hard luggage just to appease the grocery clerks at the airport on our flight home. Thanks Delta!

Last edited:
Also, secure the gun or locking case to the bigger suitcase with a locking steel cable. Makes it harder for someone behind the scenes to steal the gun and sneak it out inside their coat.

Also, secure the gun or locking case to the bigger suitcase with a locking steel cable. Makes it harder for someone behind the scenes to steal the gun and sneak it out inside their coat.
it was an equally good recommendation in post #7:
Cable the gun to the interior of a suitcase. Make a thief without boltcutters or decent lockpicking skills steal the entire suitcase if he wants your gun, not just swipe it and stick it in a coat pocket.

one good tip, to get better service at the ticket counter, calmly walk up to the ticketing agent and shout "I'VE GOT A GUN, I'VE GOT A GUN".

:)

Looks like this weekend I found the three five (I was corrected by the GF) Delta employees at Logan with no idea how to deal with firearms.

I have a Pelican Air 1615 that I use as my suitcase. At the luggage check counter, I calmly state that I'll need a firearms declaration card. The clerk hands it to me, I fill it out, then she asks to inspect that the firearm's unloaded. I open the case, drop in the tag, show my pistol's unloaded state, and put it back in its pouch in the lid organizer.

View attachment 540461

Here's where everything goes sideways. She's certain that I need it in its own hard case inside the hard suitcase that I'm about to lock. She calls over her supervisor, who then calls over her super. We go around in circles for a few minutes as they don't seem to understand the meaning of "may," above. They call over another person who skims the text and nopes out of the conversation. Eventually, this shift supervisor brings us over to the oversized chute, and phones down for clarification. We wait. And wait. After about 15 minutes and several calls back and forth, TSA has cleared the bag and sent it to load onto our plane.

Fast forward through the rest of our flight's debacle, and Delta is still doing their song and dance with delivering to their security office who wants to use a zap strap to hold your case closed. (This part is company policy, so now I'm just having a bit of a laugh.) Since I've used real locks that are sized for my bag, she can't get the tiny zip ties through the hasp. I offer that we can just skip that step and say she'd put it on and I immediately cut it off, to which she and her assistant chuckle: "you never know who's watching, and it's not like you have scissors." I tell her I do, we all laugh, she puts the giant zip tie around the entire bag. So I thanked her for her help, rolled into the lobby, and immediately cut off the band.

On the one hand, I'm grateful for the effort to ensure we didn't get jammed up for doing things wrong, since "I've just never seen it done like this before." But now my GF is asking if we should buy a hard case to put inside my hard luggage just to appease the grocery clerks at the airport on our flight home. Thanks Delta!
Did the TSA inspect firearms in your presence as well? I will be doing the same with Delta soonish and want to get more information.

Tips for Flying with Firearms for the First Time​

I've found shoulder holsters to be the most comfortable...

U7f404634c9f44b9082a55f39a816caf4U.jpg

I just flew out of Logan with a firearm on United. Check this! I had to wait in line for TWO guys in front of me checking in their firearms! I've flown out of Boston many times with firearms and never had to wait in line to check in firearms. Felt odd. One guy had four TSA locks on.

I just flew out of Logan with a firearm on United. Check this! I had to wait in line for TWO guys in front of me checking in their firearms! I've flown out of Boston many times with firearms and never had to wait in line to check in firearms. Felt odd. One guy had four TSA locks on.
Did the check-in line look like this...?

E_lrJXWXsAgC06i.jpg

Lol. Lot of pocket-carry going on in that little group...

Same policy at JetBlue. Never had an issue.

  
  • Ammunition must be packaged in a fiber (such as cardboard), wood or metal box specifically designed for carrying small amounts of ammunition.
  • Ammunition must be housed in a separate container that is completely separate and distinct from the firearms locked box. It may be in the same checked bag as the firearms box as long as everything is packaged properly.
  • Ammunition is limited to 11 pounds per customer.
I understand the definitions of fiber, wood or metal, but a friend who's travelled a couple of times to Africa said polymer boxes like the MTM boxes are allowable. He used something like this: https://mtmcase-gard.com/products/rifle/ammo-boxes-rifle-j-20.php Are they allowed on domestic flights? His most recent trip was about five years ago so regulations could have changed.

I understand the definitions of fiber, wood or metal, but a friend who's travelled a couple of times to Africa said polymer boxes like the MTM boxes are allowable. He used something like this: https://mtmcase-gard.com/products/rifle/ammo-boxes-rifle-j-20.php Are they allowed on domestic flights? His most recent trip was about five years ago so regulations could have changed.
The key words are "such as". Never had a problem with MTM boxes in checked luggage.

The fellow with the TSA locks did it wrong, unless he had other locks as well.

The case must be secure by locks that you and only you have the ability to unlock. TSA locks use master keys which means they cannot be used to secure firearms.

The key words are "such as". Never had a problem with MTM boxes in checked luggage.
I know it has been hashed over excessively about plastic (reloading box) vs original packaging.

Came back from a trip to find my rounds scattered inside my bag after a cardboard box failure. Looked through the whole bag and was satisfied I got everything.

Next trip to Korea, packing up to come home (after three weeks) and found a single .45 caliber round from the last trip. Lucky for me, no one found it during transit. It would have made things much more complicated.

Will only use plastic cases any time I travel, and don't get hassled with plastic cases either. The comment they want to hear is "a container suitable for travel".

Will only use plastic cases any time I travel, and don't get hassled with plastic cases either. The comment they want to hear is "a container suitable for travel"
Speaking of plastic cases for travel, I found a plastic container company selling really nice containers where each round is held in place individually. The containers are clear plastic and are sturdy. They're not bulky like the MTM ones and can be laid flat.

Speaking of plastic cases for travel, I found a plastic container company selling really nice containers where each round is held in place individually. The containers are clear plastic and are sturdy. They're not bulky like the MTM ones and can be laid flat.

That looks like the kind of package you buy bulk batteries in - thin plastic usually made for one time use, unlike the thicker MTM and Dillon boxes.

Last edited:
That looks like the kind of package you buy buld batteries in - thin plastic usually made for one time use, unlike the thicker MTM and Dillon boxes.
You are right, if you plan to throw them around, they might not last as much. They are much stronger than paper though. Also, when packing ammo for transport, it's a good idea to make sure the boxes can't slide around or get pounded into submission.

The fellow with the TSA locks did it wrong, unless he had other locks as well.

The case must be secure by locks that you and only you have the ability to unlock. TSA locks use master keys which means they cannot be used to secure firearms.
Bumping this.

Flying out of Logan today. Pulled in to Terminal B (because I am flying out of Terminal B) and the parking guy searches my car per usual.

He asks what is in the hard case.

I said sporting equipment.

He asks what kind.

I say "I am traveling to a shooting event in Denver" (which is true, my customer is putting on a weekend shooting clinic for employees and I was asked if I wanted to participate)

He said "Well you are not flying out of here with that stuff, it is illegal to let you park here"

I asked "what do you mean? Illegal? I have done this dozens of times, everything is locked and unloaded per airline and TSA policy "

He replied that "Logan Laws say that you can't bring that shit in here and he needs to call a trooper, been that way since 9/11, no guns ever at Logan"

Trooper comes up says "Hey, you flying out of the country with guns?"

I say "no, Denver."

He asks for my DL and LTC - calls them in, asks me to open the case for him and where the rounds are.

I said I was not bringing any, they are providing, he replied "Damn, that's sweet"

He again asked me to open the case, I said I was more comfortable unlocking it and letting him have at it.

He said that was a good call.

He then handled all my exposed magazines, and the P229 and Daewoo K2 in the case (they were in plain sight)

I asked since when was it illegal to bring firearms in a proper transport condition to Logan.

He said never.

I said the parking guy needed training then.

Trooper agreed.

Parking guy was flabbergasted that the trooper let me into the garage.

Declaration at desk was easy except they needed to find the form.

Signed and inserted into case and went on my way.

Bumping this.

Flying out of Logan today. Pulled in to Terminal B (because I am flying out of Terminal B) and the parking guy searches my car per usual.

He asks what is in the hard case.

I said sporting equipment.

He asks what kind.

I say "I am traveling to a shooting event in Denver" (which is true, my customer is putting on a weekend shooting clinic for employees and I was asked if I wanted to participate)

He said "Well you are not flying out of here with that stuff, it is illegal to let you park here"

I asked "what do you mean? Illegal? I have done this dozens of times, everything is locked and unloaded per airline and TSA policy "

He replied that "Logan Laws say that you can't bring that shit in here and he needs to call a trooper, been that way since 9/11, no guns ever at Logan"

Trooper comes up says "Hey, you flying out of the country with guns?"

I say "no, Denver."

He asks for my DL and LTC - calls them in, asks me to open the case for him and where the rounds are.

I said I was not bringing any, they are providing, he replied "Damn, that's sweet"

He again asked me to open the case, I said I was more comfortable unlocking it and letting him have at it.

He said that was a good call.

He then handled all my exposed magazines, and the P229 and Daewoo K2 in the case (they were in plain sight)

I asked since when was it illegal to bring firearms in a proper transport condition to Logan.

He said never.

I said the parking guy needed training then.

Trooper agreed.

Parking guy was flabbergasted that the trooper let me into the garage.

Declaration at desk was easy except they needed to find the form.

Signed and inserted into case and went on my way.
Why was there a parking guy searching your car?
Why did you tell him what you had?

I am so confused by this situation, I have been to Logan several times and never had a "parking guy" search my car and ask questions.

I forget where I read the suggestion, but I save all of my firearm declaration tags in case I need to show that it's not my first rodeo. Actually came in handy on my last return flight out of Fort Lauderdale. Check in attendant said I couldn't have ammo in hard case, even though it was in separate original container. I politely showed her & supervisor and they were like "he must know what he's doing then!". FWIW, I've only traveled w/ guns via Jet Blue and overall they were fantastic. The lady at Logan was pretty cool, she made my first time pretty easy..... (That's what she said!! LOL)

Why was there a parking guy searching your car?
Why did you tell him what you had?

I am so confused by this situation, I have been to Logan several times and never had a "parking guy" search my car and ask questions.
Is there a separate parking at B? I only parked either at central parking or overflow. And of course no one ever ‘searching car as usual’. Go figure.

Back
Top Bottom