Tips for Flying with Firearms for the First Time

bob6180

NES Member
Going on a hunt on Nov 1 and will be flying out of Logan

I’ve reviewed both airline refs as well as TSA and have a few questions for those who have flown before with Firearms

for reference- I’ll be flying with a Pelican case with rifle and pistol locked inside

I’m planning on using non-tsa locks on the case.

1.Should I bother with cable locks through the firearms to make it blatantly obvious for the airline people that the guns are unloaded?

2. Should I put my name/number on the padlocks for TSA to be able to call me should they want to access the case?

Any other tips/tricks are appreciated.

Here is a tip, print out the airline policy on firearms, you may have to present it to the check in person at the airport as they might not know what to do. Pay extra to get a direct flight. Arrive an extra half hour earlier than you planned.

My youth Trap team use to fly out of Logan every year. 6-8 kids with two shotguns each. One year upon flying home, they put the guns in the regular luggage bin that everyone could grab at Logan, quite a scene

Going on a hunt on Nov 1 and will be flying out of Logan

I’ve reviewed both airline refs as well as TSA and have a few questions for those who have flown before with Firearms

for reference- I’ll be flying with a Pelican case with rifle and pistol locked inside

I’m planning on using non-tsa locks on the case.

1.Should I bother with cable locks through the firearms to make it blatantly obvious for the airline people that the guns are unloaded?

2. Should I put my name/number on the padlocks for TSA to be able to call me should they want to access the case?

Any other tips/tricks are appreciated.

Follow the instructions and you will be fine. I put a chamber flag in to make it clear that the firearm is unloaded in the event that the agent wants to verify. I have never been checked.

IME there isn’t much consistency in luggage pickup. I have had it put out with the regular baggage, had to show ID to pick it up separately, and I have had someone (TSA?) put a wire tie through the lock holes.

Bob

I fly fairly regularly out of Logan w/firearms. It’s much less troublesome than you may be imagining.

You’re required to use non-TSA locks on the gun cases and you will keep the keys on you after checking them in.

No need to label the locks, when you arrive at the counter (must use Full Service check in line) just hand the person your Drivers Lic, and calmly declare that you need to check a couple firearms. They typically will not even blink an eye at it, it’s much more common than you may think and they’re used to it.

They will fill out a small tag, maybe ask you to show them that the cases are locked properly and ask if they’re unloaded and that any ammo is packed accordingly and separate from the firearms themselves. You will then write your name, address and phone number on the back of the firearms tag, and either place it on top of the case or they tape it to the case for you. If TSA needs you they then have your phone number to call you and meet you for any issues. This has only happened once to me because one of my ammo boxes was damaged/unusable on my trip so I stuffed like 50 rds on ammo in a sock, TSA had issue with this and called my cell, the TSA guy came and found me and explained that he’d need to confiscate the ammo as it can’t travel that way, meh, I was ok with that and understood and the guy was pretty cool about the whole thing.

Ironically flying out of Logan with a firearm(s) is much easier than a lot of other airports I’ve gone thru. Expect that when flying back to Logan at the end of your trip, their checks will be different. You will do the same, check in, declare firearm, and fill out the tag to put inside your bag or on rifle case.

They then may make you wait for a TSA agent to come to the check in line and then follow them to one of their back rooms, where they will them open your bag and go thru all of your clothes, gun boxes and ammo boxes. They will swab everything for explosive residue and run the swabs thru their machine in the back room looking for anything that stands out other than gun powder residue.

It’s a little frustrating and takes extra time before you can even get into the security line, so be prepared to always arrive and give yourself an extra 30mins than originally expected.

I’ve never been detained for longer than that, and never, knock on wood, had any firearms stolen while traveling.

Just be casual about it, it’s a daily occurrence for airports everywhere. Not a big deal at all. Have fun!

ETA: When you land don’t waste time doing anything except going directly to luggage pick up. Sometimes they’ll be right on the conveyer belt and sometimes they’ll be automatically brought to the office for lost/special items and you’ll need to show ID to pick it up. Quick and easy and I prefer when they do this as their are thieves that show up at airports just to try and steal a couple bags and walk out like they own them.

Last edited:
You have it. Print the airline requirements because more than likely the agent at Logan won’t know what to do.

If they are key locks, bring the extra key with you. Obviously keep them separated.

I prefer to keep chamber flags in them when cased. I also like to take a picture of them in case something happens or they go missing. Be sure to have the SN recorded

TSA should only check them when you hand them over.

You have it. Print the airline requirements because more than likely the agent at Logan won’t know what to do.

If they are key locks, bring the extra key with you. Obviously keep them separated.

I prefer to keep chamber flags in them when cased. I also like to take a picture of them in case something happens or they go missing. Be sure to have the SN recorded

TSA should only check them when you hand them over.

Not a bad idea to keep a copy with you, but I’ve never had a check in agent not know exactly what to do after declaring a firearm. Numerous different airlines, airports and states over many years, have never run into that or any other issues when checking in.

Cable the gun to the interior of a suitcase. Make a thief without boltcutters or decent lockpicking skills steal the entire suitcase if he wants your gun, not just swipe it and stick it in a coat pocket.

Yes. TSA locks are locks that TSA has keys to and can open anytime they want to.
Regular locks are locks that you have keys to and they must have you present to then open said locks.
Not to mention that you can pickup a copy of any of the 7 TSA master keys on the web for under 10 bucks each. Never use a TSA lock for anything that you really want to secure.

I fly fairly regularly out of Logan w/firearms. It’s much less troublesome than you may be imagining.

You’re required to use non-TSA locks on the gun cases and you will keep the keys on you after checking them in.

No need to label the locks, when you arrive at the counter (must use Full Service check in line) just hand the person your Drivers Lic, and calmly declare that you need to check a couple firearms. They typically will not even blink an eye at it, it’s much more common than you may think and they’re used to it.

They will fill out a small tag, maybe ask you to show them that the cases are locked properly and ask if they’re unloaded and that any ammo is packed accordingly and separate from the firearms themselves. You will then write your name, address and phone number on the back of the firearms tag, and either place it on top of the case or they tape it to the case for you. If TSA needs you they then have your phone number to call you and meet you for any issues. This has only happened once to me because one of my ammo boxes was damaged/unusable on my trip so I stuffed like 50 rds on ammo in a sock, TSA had issue with this and called my cell, the TSA guy came and found me and explained that he’d need to confiscate the ammo as it can’t travel that way, meh, I was ok with that and understood and the guy was pretty cool about the whole thing.

Ironically flying out of Logan with a firearm(s) is much easier than a lot of other airports I’ve gone thru. Expect that when flying back to Logan at the end of your trip, their checks will be different. You will do the same, check in, declare firearm, and fill out the tag to put inside your bag or on rifle case.

They then may make you wait for a TSA agent to come to the check in line and then follow them to one of their back rooms, where they will them open your bag and go thru all of your clothes, gun boxes and ammo boxes. They will swab everything for explosive residue and run the swabs thru their machine in the back room looking for anything that stands out other than gun powder residue.

It’s a little frustrating and takes extra time before you can even get into the security line, so be prepared to always arrive and give yourself an extra 30mins than originally expected.

I’ve never been detained for longer than that, and never, knock on wood, had any firearms stolen while traveling.

Just be casual about it, it’s a daily occurrence for airports everywhere. Not a big deal at all. Have fun!

ETA: When you land don’t waste time doing anything except going directly to luggage pick up. Sometimes they’ll be right on the conveyer belt and sometimes they’ll be automatically brought to the office for lost/special items and you’ll need to show ID to pick it up. Quick and easy and I prefer when they do this as their are thieves that show up at airports just to try and steal a couple bags and walk out like they own them.

Thanks for the feedback. Definitely makes it seem easier than the regs make it seem. Quick question: do you have your name/number stick on the case somewhere? Or will the airline tag be sufficient?

Thanks for the feedback. Definitely makes it seem easier than the regs make it seem. Quick question: do you have your name/number stick on the case somewhere? Or will the airline tag be sufficient?

Out of Logan it’s always been very simple, only inconvenience is having to go to the Full Service line to check in, which is generally longer, so no ‘express‘ or ‘self check in‘ due to the firearm, other states can be somewhat intrusive and inconvenient time wise as they may have 2-3 other people ahead of you waiting to be molested by TSA in the backroom, most important is to plan for that so time doesn’t become an issue.

I do not mark my pistol cases with any personal information. The tag that they supply is sufficient for their needs. Some agents just place it on top of the gun box in your suitcase, some tape it to the box.

With a stand alone/separate rifle case it will be taped to the outside, and being that it will also be considered a separate piece of luggage, I would def mark that case with some contact info. Good strong luggage tag thru the handle or a Sharpie directly onto the case should be fine.

Also will add that I’ve never once been asked for any type of LTC or firearms type of ID when Departing or Arriving to pick up luggage, other than a drivers license when checking in. Nobody cares. Very casual.

But they do make mistakes in the process. Watching a Perazzi shogun go down the standard luggage shoot and carousel was unnerving and it was quickly followed by a Pelican case with two Glock 34's. It happened to me, (not my Perazzi, it was a kid on the teams')

Also will add that I’ve never once been asked for any type of LTC or firearms type of ID when Departing or Arriving to pick up luggage, other than a drivers license when checking in. Nobody cares. Very casual.

Same here. I normally fly out of Bradley.

Bob

ETA:
Cable the gun to the interior of a suitcase. Make a thief without boltcutters or decent lockpicking skills steal the entire suitcase if he wants your gun, not just swipe it and stick it in a coat pocket.

I normally use one of those lock boxes for cars for my handgun and run the cable around a frame member of the suitcases as Rob suggests.

This is all you need to know. I also fly quite regularly with Firearms. You don’t need to print out their policy. They see firearms day in day out all the time. They know exactly what to do.

All of this. Whatever you do, don't let some retard newbie at the counter tell you "it should have TSA locks". I dealt with that once, ask them to call a supervisor immediately in a polite way.

I also fly out of Logan with long-guns a lot. It's not a big deal but does add some time to check-in, so plan for that.

The only thing I'll suggest is that if it's a nice rifle, get a serious case. I've seen my rifle case dropped from height and thrown.

Only thing I'll add is that your gun case might not end up on the carousel for pickup, depending on the airline. With Delta I had to go to the bulky item (e.g. skis) pickup office to claim my suitcase.

The "License check" seems to be a common practice in NY airports - I've heard reliable reports of the police being summoned for a "legality check" in both NYC and upstate airports. Never in Boston except when I had to wave some paperwork in front of an Air Canada agent who had a hard time believing I could fly to Toronto with handguns.

Tips for Flying with Firearms for the First Time
All I've got is "Sit near the cockpit..."

It is super easy and the folks at the customer service counter are super professional. Not gonna lie, got a bit of a woody when I took my scar 17 out of the case in the Jet Blue terminal to show them it was unloaded. I had around 40 folks behind me and was wearing a suit, LOL. BTW a SCAR is a terrible hunting gun, it is too loud when chambering a round.

One thing I did not see mentioned is that every lock hole requires a lock, *EVERY* lock hole. I think my rifle case required 4. Don't forget that. Oh, and pack the ammo in a standard carboard box, they ask that question.

I have more issues in the Austin TX airport than I ever had in Boston.

Chris

Back
Top Bottom